cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamK7
Paper Tape
Views: 619
Message 1 of 19

completely lost - Creating a recovery disc for IdeaPad Z580 (and OneKey Recovery)

Hello - please bear in mind that I am not technically proficient, but in fairness i don't think one should be. 

As the Lenovo doesn't come with a back-up or recovery disc, I obviously need to make up my own.  I thought that the OneKey recovery system would lead me through it (it says it's "easy-to-use"), but right away I'm confused:  what's the difference between "System Backup" and "System Recovery"?  I keep reading the blurb and I've read the "Help" file, but I'm not getting any closer to understanding  The System Backup seems to require 98.9 GB space, which obviously the hidden drive doesn't have.  I'd need a stack of DVD-Rs for this (I was kind of hoping two or three) or a whole new removable drive  -- does this seem right?  But, again, what am I looking for, a System Backup or a System Recovery?  On my old Acer, it used to lead you through this step by step and it was incredibly simple.  Now, it seems the only simple thing is me.  Any patient help would be much appreciated. 

Thanking in advance,

Adam K.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 596
Message 2 of 19

Re: completely lost - Creating a recovery disc for IdeaPad Z580 (and OneKey Recovery)

They are similar. One difference is that if the disk is defective you cant use OKR anymore. Thus you can't do any restoration yourself. You will have to send in your unit to Lenovo to have the disk replaced and your system restored to factory default.

You don't need a stack of DVD-Rs to save your backup ... System backup files can be saved in an external Hdd drive plus the creation of a Repair DVD disk for startup and restoration purposes.

AdamK7
Paper Tape
Views: 580
Message 3 of 19

Re: completely lost - Creating a recovery disc for IdeaPad Z580 (and OneKey Recovery)

Thank you for your reply but I'm afraid I'm still unsure:  when would you get to use OKR, by which I assume you mean the "System Recovery" bit.  As far as I can tell, then, the "System Backup" option is to help you back up everything onto an external HDD which, if the computer crashes, can then be reloaded back onto the Lenovo.  You mention the creation of a Repair DVD disk for startup and restoration purposes - I think this is what I initially thought OKR would lead to.  How would I make one of those?  Thanks again,

AdamK

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 565
Message 4 of 19

@AdamK7 wrote:

Thank you for your reply but I'm afraid I'm still unsure:  when would you get to use OKR, by which I assume you mean the "System Recovery" bit.  As far as I can tell, then, the "System Backup" option is to help you back up everything onto an external HDD which, if the computer crashes, can then be reloaded back onto the Lenovo.  You mention the creation of a Repair DVD disk for startup and restoration purposes - I think this is what I initially thought OKR would lead to.  How would I make one of those?  Thanks again,

AdamK

If you refer to your Z580 user guide on page 30-31 you will learn that there are two ways to start OKR. One way is within windows and the other by OKR DvDs. The OKR DvDs can be obtained from Lenovo and you can start your system recovery through this disk. The OKR DvDs are similar to the windows repair disk and the corresponding windows created backup files. The difference is that you need Lenovo to supply you the OKR DvDs while for windows, you create them within windows.

AdamK7
Paper Tape
Views: 545
Message 5 of 19

Hi, thanks again, but I'm afraid it's not any clearer..  According to p. 31 of the user's guide, you can create three types of recovery discs: 

• recovery discs with existing back up image
  • recovery discs from the current system partition
  • factory default recovery disc. 
    Apart from the fact tht I don't remember being offered these options, what is the difference between these three?  What do they mean? And you say tht "The OKR DvDs can be obtained from Lenovo" -- why don't they just supply them with the laptop in the first place?   Isn't that what the above is all about creating?  If not, what's that all about and how does one go about obtaining them?  Is there a link to where you can order them from?
    Finally, you say, "The OKR DvDs are similar to the windows repair disk and the corresponding windows created backup files. The difference is that you need Lenovo to supply you the OKR DvDs while for windows, you create them within windows".  I'm sorry to be so dense, but I really don't understand any of this.  What windows repair disc?  How do I create what within windows?  Again, apologies for being so slow, and thank you for your patience.
     Adam K
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 538
Message 6 of 19

"Hi, thanks again, but I'm afraid it's not any clearer..  According to p. 31 of the user's guide, you can create three types of recovery discs: 

• recovery discs with existing back up image
  • recovery discs from the current system partition
  • factory default recovery disc."

Those three types are just backup files that you can make. To restore any one of them you use the OKR in WINDOWS if it is still functioning. If not, then your only choice is the OKR DVD.

"And you say tht "The OKR DvDs can be obtained from Lenovo" -- why don't they just supply them with the laptop in the first place?"

I can't give you the reason why the DVD is not given to the owner. Perhaps you can ask Lenovo.

"... how does one go about obtaining them?  Is there a link to where you can order them from?"

You have to make a call to Lenovo to get those DvDs.

""Finally, you say, "The OKR DvDs are similar to the windows repair disk and the corresponding windows created backup files. The difference is that you need Lenovo to supply you the OKR DvDs while for windows, you create them within windows"... What windows repair disc?  How do I create what within windows?"

To create the backup files and repair disk, go to "control panel", choose "System and Security", and choose "File History". On the lower left portion, choose "Windows 7 File Recovery". Then choose "Create System Image". Decide and follow instructions to proceed. Once the image is created you will be ask if you want to create the "Repair Disk", choose "yes" and insert a blank DvD into your ODD. 

AdamK7
Paper Tape
Views: 523
Message 7 of 19

Thanks -- mine came with Windows 8 (which is only adding to my confusion) so it doesn't quite follow this pattern - I've got to where it says "We recommend that you use an external drive for File History.  Connect a dirve and refresh this page, or use a network location".  Will it accept a DVD?  Will it fit?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 515
Message 8 of 19

@AdamK7 wrote:

Thanks -- mine came with Windows 8 (which is only adding to my confusion) so it doesn't quite follow this pattern - I've got to where it says "We recommend that you use an external drive for File History.  Connect a dirve and refresh this page, or use a network location".  Will it accept a DVD?  Will it fit?

Yes the instruction I gave you assumes that you are using Windows 8. You are here in the instruction "To create the backup files and repair disk, go to "control panel", choose "System and Security", and choose "File History"."

Now look at the left side (bottom part): You should see "Recovery" and "Windows 7 File Recovery". Do not mind the tilte "Windows 7", because it will still work in windows 8. So follow the next instruction.

On the lower left portion, choose "Windows 7 File Recovery". Then choose "Create System Image"(this is located on upper left portion). Decide and follow instructions to proceed. Once the image is created you will be ask if you want to create the "Repair Disk", choose "yes" and insert a blank DvD into your ODD. 

AdamK7
Paper Tape
Views: 501
Message 9 of 19

Ah, okay -- thanks very much.  I'll give that a go, although now the weekend's over I may not have time for  while.  Thanks very much, again,for your patience.

Adam K

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 492
Message 10 of 19

You're welcome.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors