Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deepsea1965
Paper Tape
Views: 435
Message 1 of 5

how to recover from disk crash?

Hello everyone. I am a newbie to these forums. Please be gentle lol.

I have aLenovo Z70-80 laptop. I have a few system recoveries on an external drive. My question is, what if my laptop hard disk were to become unusable for whatever reason how do I get to install Windows 8 onto a new disk? I have replaced my disk with a new one just to tryout using a usb memory stick, following instructions from a web site. Nothing happened. I know I cannot use any of my recovery backups as I need the MBR in place. If I could copy that and put it on a partition part of the new drive I am thinking that might work. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank youu

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 414
Message 2 of 5

Re: how to recover from disk crash?

The easiest way is to have an image of your disk before the problem occurs. Then just restore it after the problem. You can use Macrium Reflect free version. You need a thumb drive and an external drive for this.

Mod's Edit: Marked this post as the Solution based on response.

Deepsea1965
Paper Tape
Views: 409
Message 3 of 5

Thank you LenBlazer. I  will put it to the test. Thank you for the free program. This program will take a full image of the disk including the partitions or do they get binned?

Mod's Edit:  Removed Solution from this post.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 374
Message 4 of 5

The programs takes into consideration all partitions if you accept the default. You can also select any particular ones if you like. However, I'd like to suggest to select all.

Deepsea1965
Paper Tape
Views: 352
Message 5 of 5

I have got all the drives onto my external drive, all 228GB of it in 8 images. I am using a HDD Docking device to transfor the images onto a 500gb SSD. All I ned to do is find the power lead and i'm in business. This has been a great experience and I am very glad that you saw my post first. I tried to give you more kudos but could only get one kudo. I'm not sure how that works. I amvery grateful for all your assistance.

Best regards

Barnsley (deepsea1963) Sloan

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors