Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hansweeks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,265
Message 1 of 4

ideapad y400 won't shutdown/4 minute reboot

I have a lenovo ideapady400 that is now almost 2 months old. Earlier today, I noticed that it did not properly go into hibernate when I shut it. The keyboard was still lit up, with no LCD display (including not if I hit Fn+F2) and with the fan at high rpms. I shut it down by holding the powerbutton, and upon rebooting it, it took over 4 minutes to get back to the desktop. It now requires the 4 minutes every time I restart, and it never goes into hibernate with the lid closed (it must be shut down by the power button).

Fearing that the computer may be having a serious issue, I tried to make a backup with Onekey recovery, which failed to write a backup (repeatedly). It returned an error saying it couldn't access the partition. I then uninstalled onekey recovery, downloaded it again from the lenovo website. Now when I run onekey recovery it says my system is not able to write a backup.

I am now stuck in a tough spot of not being able to backup my laptop and and not being able to do a recovery without losing everything. On the lenovo support site, when I select startup issues, the feedback it gives me is "Thank you for your question. This is a known problem and a solution is being developed. Please check back for updates."

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the main (shutdown/startup) issue?

As the laptop is under warranty, should I just send it back to Lenovo?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,209
Message 2 of 4

Re: ideapad y400 won't shutdown/4 minute reboot

hi hansweeks,

If you PC came with a HDD+SSD drive, try to boot into the BIOS (by repeatedly pressing F2 on startup) and check if both the HDD and SSD are detected (if you're missing one, that HDD might be faulty and needs to be replaced.

If both HDD's are detected (or if your PC came with only a SATA HDD) try to run an HDD diagnostic. Try HD Tune to run HDD error checking in WIndows or create a bottable HDD diagnostic (see steps below).

1. Download the the UBCD ISO

2. Burn the ISO using imgburn

3. Insert the CD that you just created into the defective computer and reboot

4. Upon reboot, continuously press F12 and boot from the ODD/CD-DVD

To burn the diagnostic software on a flashdrive, follow this guide

Note:

If you find any errors, you will need send the unit to Lenovo for service. Support phone list here.

For data backup, you can copy / paste your files on a USB flashdrive / hard drive or use this software to clone your hard drive. 

Hope this helps 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

hansweeks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,185
Message 3 of 4

I tried installing windows 8 from a disk, and then from a backup on USB (created with the y400). Both times I did clean installations (deleting all partitions). The SATA and SSD hardrives were both detected both before and after the system restore,  however neither restore helped or seemed to affect the issue (not shutting down, not starting up and being unable to find partitions from Onekey). I therefore called Lenovo and sent the laptop in for repair. The customer support suggested that it was in fact a bad HDD, though my guess was that it was motherboard related. I will have the y400 back next week and hopefully it will come with an explanation of what was fixed/replaced (otherwise I will just call Lenovo and ask). I will post that fix here. Also, it may be worth mentioning that before the computer began having issues, I had to update the touchpad drivers several times for strange touchpad issues/behavior (clicking stopped working, scrolling would occaisionally stop, and the cursor would sometimes freeze when waking from hibernation).

hansweeks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,149
Message 4 of 4

I got the laptop back from lenovo earlier in the week. They say it was an HDD issue and replaced the mechanical and the ssd. Seems to be working great again.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors