Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sy2
Paper Tape
Views: 386
Message 1 of 3

ideapad z510 constant bootloop after automatic windows update

Hey folks,

From around mid August til today, my ideapad z510  has gone through at least 4 or 5 automatic Windows updates. I'm currently on Windows 10 after the free upgrade when Window first introduced it. The first of the 4 or 5 automatic updates happened in Auguest where after updating the screen went into a bootloop with the dotted circle at the bottom of the screen just going in circles forever. I forced the shutdown and after restarting it, it seemed to pick up and reboot just fine. However yesterday, another automatic update happened but this time, it's in a forever bootloop. I've tried restarting it several times with no success. I've tried using the Novo button to reboot to a past savings point with no success. I'm at a point where I have to reset the laptop to its initial out of box state but dont want to lose any files, pictures, and data I currently have.

Is there any other troubleshoot options I may have missed? Any help would be appreciated.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 368
Message 2 of 3

Re: ideapad z510 constant bootloop after automatic windows update

Sometimes if you can interrupt the boot 3 times in a row, you can force Windows to go into Automatic repair, and from there you can run System Restore to restore you system back to its pre-update state.  

To do that, once you see it start to load Windows, press and hold the power button until your laptop shuts off, and then turn it off again and keep repeating the cycle 3 -4 times, or until Windows Recovery loads.   From there, select the Advanced Startup Options >> System Restore, and then look for a restore date before the update.

If that fails, you can create a System Repair Disk on any Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 computer (must be same 32-bit or 64-bit version as you own), and use that CD/DVD to boot your laptop, and then use it to restore to a previous restore point, which should have been made by Windows Update prior to installing the last round of updates.     That is what I would try first.

How To Create a System Restore Disk

• Right Click on Start and Select Control Panel
  • Select Backup and Restore (Windows 7)  (under System And Security)
  • Select Create System Repair Disk
  • Insert Blank CD-R or DVD-R (a CD-R is all that is required) and follow the prompts

Note: This section also has the option of creating a System Image, which is an image of the entire Windows partition on the harddrive (C:\) that can be saved to an external USB backup harddrive, and in the case of an emergency (including a harddrive failure), restored using the System Repair Disk, which amounts to effectively bringing your computer back to the exact state it was when created (Windows, applications, and data etc.).   Something I highly recommend . 

Another option is to create a Windows Recovery Drive (USB stick) on another similar Windows 10 PC, and use it to boot your system and use it to reset your PC.   While that does give you the option to save all of your personal data (photos, music documents etc), you would have to reinstall any applications you have installed, and reinstall the Lenovo software that came on your laptop, and the device drivers as well if not installed automatically via Windows update.

One last option is to use the Microsoft "Start Fresh Tool" which will will also reset you PC, but with the same caveats as the reset above, e.g. preserving your data, but not applications etc.

If it were me, I would to with the System Repair Disk and System Restore, as it will preserve both your data and applications etc.

Good Luck,

sy2
Paper Tape
Views: 336
Message 3 of 3

Re: ideapad z510 constant bootloop after automatic windows update

I was able to use the on/off/on/off/on/off to go into Automatic repair. I tried system repair but that didn't work. After trying a few different options, I eventually chose the step where I could boot into Safe Mode. From Safe Mode, I was able to get into Windows and transferred all of my valuable files to an external hard drive.

I decided to uninstall the Windows updates that I felt caused this issue of the bootloop. However uninstalling the updates didn't accomplish anything because I was back in the bootloop again after restarting.

I ended up doing the full system reboot to its out of box state with Windows 8. I chatted Microsoft support and they provided me with a link to upgrade back to Windows 10. I'll probably turn off automatic updates once Windows 10 is fully upgraded. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors