Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlim
What's DOS?
Views: 1,170
Message 1 of 9

installing windows 7 on SSD in z580

Hi everyone!

Been doing some research but couldn't find a solution to my concern.  I purchased an SSD that I want to use to boot windows 7 from in my 2012 z580, along with an ultrabay.  It seems like the general concensus is it's best to place the SSD in the main drive, and if I want to, place the HDD in the ultrabay.  My questions are:

1)  Would I be able to simple run the recovery partition that's factory installed on the current HDD to install windows 7 on the SSD, and be done with it all?  (Being able to use the SSD as my main boot and "C" drive, and the HDD as a media/storage drive)

2)  Can I take out the HDD, install the SSD, leave the optical bay in and do a clean install of windows?  My research seems like the key for my license is in the UEFI Bios.  And if so, then 3) would I have to reinstall all the drivers for my z580 to function?

Thanks for all the help!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,147
Message 2 of 9

Re: installing windows 7 on SSD in z580

What is the pre-installed OS in your unit? And What OneKey recovery program version does it have?

Guru
Views: 1,140
Message 3 of 9

i brought a samsung ssd and it came with the cloning software and ssd to usb tool

installed software ran the tool it rebooted and cloned the c drive to the ssd then i swapped the hdd for the ssd and all ran fine, if on booting it ask for which os to boot select one as only one will work then once booted into windows you will have to remove one but clicking start the run then type msconfig then boot then in there is a list of drives you have to remove the one that says no current reboot and it should all be fine

swapping out the hdd will make the one key recovery not work so just be warned and backup anything you want to keep just incase
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
dlim
What's DOS?
Views: 1,136
Message 4 of 9

The pre installed OS is windows 7. And I believe the OneKey version is 7 or something? I'm not at home right now.

I did burn the factory recovery discs onto DVD's.

I was planning on just using the windows 7 cd I have to do a clean install of windows on the SSD now that I've backed up the recovery files, and install whatever drivers I'll need for functionality. Was also planning on wiping the factory 500gb HDD.

If I wiped it, abd later did a factory restore through the discs, would it restore the recovery partition as well?
Guru
Views: 1,133
Message 5 of 9

no if you get the full use of the 500gb the partition would have gone and you would have to recreate the partition and install os software etc

so
ssd = c drive
hdd = d drive 500gb

if you made recovery disc's i dont see why it would not work
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,129
Message 6 of 9

@dlim wrote:
The pre installed OS is windows 7. And I believe the OneKey version is 7 or something? I'm not at home right now.

I did burn the factory recovery discs onto DVD's.

I was planning on just using the windows 7 cd I have to do a clean install of windows on the SSD now that I've backed up the recovery files, and install whatever drivers I'll need for functionality. Was also planning on wiping the factory 500gb HDD.

If I wiped it, abd later did a factory restore through the discs, would it restore the recovery partition as well?

Just to be on the safe side, I'd kept the original hdd intact and place in a safe place. Then you can do whatever you want with whatever ssd/hdd except the original that you plan to use.

dlim
What's DOS?
Views: 1,126
Message 7 of 9

I was leaning towards doing that, too.  I bought a ultrabay/caddy thing to place a spare HDD in the DVD drive area, and I was going to use the 500gb as storage but I really don't need the space.

I do all my work on my MBP, and the lenovo is for light gaming and when I need windows.  Maybe i will just leave the stock HDD as is in case I want to sell the laptop or something later.  

Installing a clean install a windows 7 right now on the SSD as we speak though

Guru
Views: 1,122
Message 8 of 9

good luck let us know how you get on
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
dlim
What's DOS?
Views: 1,093
Message 9 of 9

I ended up taking the stock 500gb HDD out of the unit and storing it now.

Installed a fresh/clean install of Win 7 ult 64 bit on the SDD i had installed, and downloaded the necessary drivers.

Everything seems to be working well with no hiccups.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors