cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alamak
Paper Tape
Views: 15,476
Message 1 of 18

laptop Y510P is not using my GT 755M card but Intel's 4600 card. Default GPU is Intel 4600!!

Just got my Y510P laptop and after the installation of Chrome, I noticed that the text are blurry. That bugs me!! I tried to set the GT 755M as my default GPU card, but for some reason it is not letting me do it. It's running Intel's 4600 card as the default GPU card. So I tried to disable the Intel card, but after doing that, I can't even access my GT 755M card. 

Not sure how to get about in setting my 755M card as the default GPU. I already installed the latest driver but its not helping. This is not even an SLI setup, so I don't know why it is doing this. I'm guessing Windows 8.1 is the main reason.

Anyways, if I can't fix this, I'll most probably return it. But any help in fixing this would be great. Thanks

plaidpowered
Paper Tape
Views: 15,351
Message 2 of 18

Re: laptop Y510P is not using my GT 755M card but Intel's 4600 card. Default GPU is Intel 4600!!

Bump and Ditto on this issue. 

My y510p came with the Dual SLI ultrabay. I recently pulled the second GPU so I could install a second harddrive, and now instead of the GT 750M, my drivers default to the Intel 4600, but not everywhere; Photoshop is using my Geforce, PhysX is using my Geforce, but the monitors are using the 4600. STRANGE.

BTW alamak, there are two reasons your text may be blurry, unrelated to the graphics driver:

1. Are you using an external monitor on the VGA port? I have two monitors plugged in, the monitor plugged into HDMI has crisp text, the VGA monitor is blurry. They are identical monitors. (I wish this thing came with a DisplayPort like my old Dell XPS 15, I could plug four monitors into one port!)

2. Your DPI settings are set larger than 100%. Chrome especially has this problem. If you are using a DPI higher than 100%, Chrome looks awful. Fix this by going to (right-click Desktop > Screen Resolution > Make text bigger or smaller > change the slider to Smallest). However this will set your desktop to use the LCD's native resolution, and everything will be tiny.

alamak
Paper Tape
Views: 15,332
Message 3 of 18

Re: laptop Y510P is not using my GT 755M card but Intel's 4600 card. Default GPU is Intel 4600!!

Well, its the Window 8.1 that is cusing the problem!! IE was fine when I had it magnified, Chrome was bad, even when I shrink it....worst when it was magnified. At the default magnification of 100%, it was bad too. So I took the original HDD out and replaced it with a SSD and installed Windows 8 on it....guess what....both browser turns out great!!

And the SSD is the weakest link in this otherwise great lappy. Lenovo most probably just put in their old HDD for parts bin and not even test out Windows 8.1 properly before installing it on this system. Now with the SSD, the laptop is so fast, boot up times and loading was greatly reduced.

Now with the bad, since it was a clean install of Windows 8, I have a minor problem with laptop rafter its been on a state of hibernation/sleep. When 'wakng up', I wuld sometimes get a blue screen of death and the laptop will auto restart. I'm still looking for a solution for this.

Also, sometimes at the start screen, when I had to enter my password, the screen would flicker couple of times. I've updated to the latest Nvidia driver and hopefully that will solve the problem. My system is a non-SLI with NVidia GT 755M gpu. If I can't resolve those issues, I might just return the laptop since I hated window 8.1 and the crappy 5400 rpm HDD. 

This was actually suppose to be a Christmas gift but Lenovo did not shipped it in time even though it says on the website that order before Dec 20th, and item will arrive on Christmas eve.

I'll try some other stuffs regarding the blue screen of death and the flickering screen on startup. Hopefully I can resolve it. 

BTW plaidpowered, I'm not connecting it to an external monitor, using it purely as a laptop. Having a 1080p screen just magnifies the good ....and the bad!!! I've tried to set the NVidia GT 755M gpu as the default but just couldn't. Like you said, some programs will run on the Intel 4600 and some on the NVidia. Did some research and I think its not possible to set the NVidia to run on every program all the time, it has to do with Intel's power saving thing, so light load light web browsing will be using Intel's 4600 with higher load with the NVidia.

I downloaded this free game called World of Tanks, and the laptop and NVidia's gpu handled it with ease...at low graphics setting, but when I set it go higher setting for graphics....the game is not playable!! This game doesn't seems to be all that graphics intensive, but I can't figure out why this 2GB NVidia GT 755M can't handle this game on high graphics. At low setting, I can see its gettng 50+ fps...at high...i'm not even getting 10fps. Weird...

Some help or advise would be great.....

frasn
What's DOS?
Views: 15,306
Message 4 of 18

I just got my y510p with 2 x 755M cards the other day. 

I've updated to Windows 8.1, installed the VBIOS update posted by lenovo, and updated to the 331.82 graphics drivers directly from geforce.com/drivers. The Geforce Experience app didn't suggest this update, but after installing it,  World of tanks works fine.

On maximum graphics settings, I'm getting about 40-60 fps with SLI activated. When I disable SLI, I get 20-30 fps, still with maximum graphics details in the game. I haven't tampered with any other settings in the NVIDIA control panel.

(Still using the stock 1 TB hybrid drive, and my chrome bluriness was resolved by changing DPI scaling to 100%).

alamak
Paper Tape
Views: 15,279
Message 5 of 18

I've also updated my 755M driver last night from NVidia. I also updated the GeForce Experience app and there is a button that will search for any games on the laptop and 'optimized' it. World of Tanks is working great now!!! I'm getting 40-50`ish fps in max setting with no lag at all. I don't have SLI, so I'm pretty satisfied with the performance after the GPU driver update.

As for the blue screen of death(BSOD) that I've been getting after I replaced the crappy OEM HDD with SSD......I think I've found a solution for it. I updated the firmware of the SSD last night and have not see any BSOD since. I'll evaluate it for a few more days to really see if that will fix the problem.

I've not have any issues with Chrome since I installed my own Win 8 instead of the original 8.1. Even with DPI scaling of more than 100%....no issues at all. Currently using DPI scaling of 125%. Text is still very sharp.

C_Hawk
What's DOS?
Views: 14,853
Message 6 of 18

Bump.

I have the same problem as alamak, I believe.

I have this one: http://www.laptopshop.nl/product/339361/lenovo-ideapad-y510p.html#product_specifications

I have it since tuesday.

edit: Windows 8 installed. (not 8.1)

Nvidia GT 755M

i7 4700MQ

1. I start world of tanks

2. It opens after 10 seconds and the screen becomes white.

3. It closes after 5 seconds.

would it be recommendable to reinstall the OS, or install like.. windows 7(cracked)? (I do prefer win7)

Or should I install an older driver??

edit2: I have installed Skyrim just now and it has set the settings on low -_-

I guess my default vid settings are 4600 chipset as well

edit3: it even seems that Skyrim doesnt see my graphics card.

I can't run Skyrim from the Experience app either.

<script charset="UTF-8" type="application/javascript" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js"></script>
alamak
Paper Tape
Views: 14,750
Message 7 of 18

I think there is a bug with Win 8.1 that Lenovo needs to iron out before including it as the default OS for their system. As for me, I did not try out WoT with Win 8.1 because I was trying to fix the Chrome browser issue, and also there's some minor issue with IE browser as well. Plus I think Lenovo installed way too much junkware with this system. So I decided to just do a clean install of Win 8 with a new SSD hard drive.

After the SSD and Win 8, I am happy to say that the lappy is performing as it should!!! Chrome browser text is sharp and IE doesn't lag(only on some websites)  when I do a fast scroll. The ancient 5400 rpm HDD is the weakest link in this lappy, take it out and replace with a SSD and a clean install of Win 8, and if you prefer Win 7 and you will be flying.

As for game setting, I have WoT in maximum setting and have no issues at all, no lagging whatsoever. On avg I'm getting 40~ish fps(I don't have SLI). The max I've seen is 73fps when I'm not moving on some maps. I use the GeForce Experience to optimize the game setting. There is a button on that that will search for any games on your laptop and set the optimize setting for it.

As for the Intel 4600 graphics, and the 755GT .....it is actually a good comromise, you can't really disable Intel's 4600 graphics and set the 755 as the default for everything. That is the Haswell setting I guess, for regular web browsing or yourube, the 4600 will run thus saving battery, plus you don't really need the 755 for web anyways.

For games or any applications that needs more graphics processing power, the 755 will take over. Unless there really 'is' a way to disable the 4600 that I wasn't aware off, but I'm happy with my current setting.

Good luck

C_Hawk
What's DOS?
Views: 14,743
Message 8 of 18

thx for the reply Smiley Happy

I have installed the new beta driver and it seems Skyrim recognizes the graphics card, yet wot doesnt
weird
(at least it starts..)

If u open the control panel of Nvidea u can select the graphics card as default processor (manage 3d settings)
I wonder why wot doesnt recognize it, my settings are low by default and ofc, if I let wot decide it puts it to low.

<script charset="UTF-8" type="application/javascript" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js"></script>
alamak
Paper Tape
Views: 14,722
Message 9 of 18

Ya, I tried the manage the setting from Nvidia control panel and changed Chrome browser to the 755GT card but it doesn't really uses it since it wasn't that graphic intensive that it requires it to be turned on.

I uses the Nvidia Experience to get the optimize setting for WoT and the settings are all set at maximum. Mine was not even SLI...so I guess you could try that. I know WoT uses the 755 GPU since it was blowing out hot air like crazy.
C_Hawk
What's DOS?
Views: 14,690
Message 10 of 18

I dont have SLI as well, no difference there Smiley Wink

I have tried using Experience, but it only changes the settings to maximum.. It doesnt make wot run with the card

off-topic, how does the Cache-SSD work?? I just copied WoT to the cache, cuz it didnt seem to do anything..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors