Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jay4smile
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,854
Message 1 of 5

lenovo Z580 install windows 7

Hello

I have purchased new Laptop z580.It cames with Windows 8..

I want to install Windows 7. But unable to install it...

I have set Admin Password and then disable Secure Boot.

and in a Boot Menu I have set type to Legacy..from UEFI something

Then I have again one more Option Like Boot Prioritty : in which UEFI Support and Legacy Support

Which I have to choose. When I select Legacy Support in Both then try to install Windows 7. but I am getting error like Unable to install Windows on selected Partition.

"windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

Can anyone suggest right steps to do that.?

I have taken recovery of Windows 8 to USB. and I don't want to temper with the Recovery..

How to install Windows 7 into Lenovo Z580?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,838
Message 2 of 5

Re: lenovo Z580 install windows 7

Hello and welcome,

You are probably getting that message because you are running the install in legacy mode but the the HDD is GPT partitioned.

You could boot in UEFI mode (not secure boot) and run the install.

You can run the install as you are in legacy mode but drop to DISKPART and convert the drive to MBR. It might also be sufficient to just select the advanced partitioning options and remove all the partitions.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-cannot-be-install...

Either way you'll lose the on-disk recovery options.  Don't lose that USB drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

jay4smile
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,818
Message 3 of 5

Hey Thanks for the reply. I have convert Partition to MBR using DIsKPART...

But Now I have tried to get the recovery of my USB Drive.

I inserted USB and start my Laptop with Recovery Key...

But When I select system recovery nothing is happed. its normally starts with Windows 7..

DOes recovery option got temperd? or how to take recovery and switch back my laptop to windows 8?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,803
Message 4 of 5

You should switch BIOS back to UEFI mode to boot the Win 8 recovery flash drive.

You may also need to select it via the boot menu.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

robyprog
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,212
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

i have the same issue . I have reduce the main partition of windows 8 , to left space for one partition of windows 7.

I try all this option legacy, uefi, secure boot disable, but the result are always this 2 :

1) start automatically windows 8 (don t see usb disk with windows 7 that is 1st in boot start)

2) start windows 7 installation but when have select the partition said "windows cannot be installed to the disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style site" 

partition are normal NTFS.

many tks

Top Kudoed Authors