Did you mean: 
Highlighted
valllllll2000
Blue Screen Again
Views: 39,488
Message 1 of 8

lenovo ideapad y510p boot on CD/DVD

Hi 

Just got the y510p laptop and am trying to install Ubuntu so I have this bootable DVD and I wanted to try Ubuntu before installing as usual but I can't get the laptop to bot on dvd. On boot menu options there is only EFI and some kind of network options but no dvd.

I tried following instructions here but no matter how many times I press F1 during startup, I can't get to boot menu and windows starts directly:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_CY/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT036814

Is it not possible to boot on dvd. The dvd is ubuntu 13.10 supposedly compatible with EFI and secure boot.

I don't understand why there is no option to reorder boot devices like on all my older PCs.

I manage to get BIOS setup pressing restart and shift and then selecting UEFI firware settings and I do get to bios setups but again no way to find the option for booting on a dvd.

Any advice? Thanks

justinhabit
What's DOS?
Views: 39,387
Message 2 of 8

Re: lenovo ideapad y510p boot on CD/DVD

to get the computer to boot from a cd, turn the computer on and press f12 as soon as the lenovo icon appears (if you are obsessive it would not hurt to press it over and over again) this will eventually cause the boot menue to open up. you will probably see a few different options, but if you have a useable boot disk in your optical drive, one of the options will have DVD in the name. pick this one.

Once the disk boots up you will probably get a black screen. if this happens, turn up your screen brightness by pressing fn + the up arrow key. you should see the ubuntu loading bar after that.

good luck

GrimFandang
What's DOS?
Views: 39,312
Message 3 of 8

Hey!

I have the same problem!I just can't boot the computer with Windows 7 dvd, the dvd doesn't appear in the boot menu.

Only thing that appears is if I boot with a ubuntu USB.

(there's no problem with the extendable dvd-rom since I actually managed to install windows 7 through windows 8 but I had to format the whole disc..)

Please help

Katakuna
Paper Tape
Views: 39,305
Message 4 of 8

Have you changed the boot order in BIOS?
valllllll2000
Blue Screen Again
Views: 39,294
Message 5 of 8

I have managed to install ubuntu, the problem is that my cd was faulty, here is a blog post where I wrote about the steps

in case somebody needs:

http://vaxapp.wordpress.com/2014/02/09/install-ubuntu-12-04-3-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-y510p/

I found a lot of answers here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-u...

Although for Windows 7 the problem is maybe that it doesn't support UEFI and or secure boot???

In windows 8 type ctr+C then the power button and then press shif+restart and then chose the option troubleshoot and the something about UEFI and you will restart in bios then you can modify the settings to disable secure boot and /or boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI.

When you press F12 it's the boot menu but you will only see the entries that are compatible with UEFI (if you are in UEFI mode) either CDS or USBS

GrimFandang
What's DOS?
Views: 39,275
Message 6 of 8

My disc is clean, I formatted it to only one partition so there are no OS at all. I want only to install Windows 7 but no bootable media is detected from the extendable dvd rom. I've already tried the extened dvd with the Win 7 disc on another computer and it worked like a charm, but on my Y510P it just doesn't work. I run Legacy mode in BIOS, and if I don't press anything at all is just boots to a GRUB RESCUE prompt.

valllllll2000
Blue Screen Again
Views: 39,267
Message 7 of 8

I thought grub recue was only in Linux, well try this link maybe you find a solution there:

http://superuser.com/questions/198232/boot-windows-from-grub-rescue

Cernael
Paper Tape
Views: 36,429
Message 8 of 8

I'm having similar problems - I want to setup a dualboot W7/Kubuntu, and my Kubuntu install USB stick shows up in the boot menu, but the W7 DVD doesn't - my DVD player isn't recognized as bootable. How do I make it so?

(Also, the Ideapad Y510P has a tiny pushbutton behind the power connector - pressing that instead of the Power On-button boots you into a menu where you can choose to factory reset from the backup partition, enter BIOS, boot from bootable media, and possibly a few options more. No need to frantically scramble with the F12 key and such.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors