Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arch_one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,226
Message 1 of 12

loud beep noise on ideapad y650

There's a horrible, loud beep sound that occurs whenever I plug in the power chord or the battery gets low. Both of these events happen often, so the noise is not something that I can easily ignore. I went into the control panel and turned off all the system sounds but apparently this noise isn't controlled that way. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!
Retired Guru
Views: 6,208
Message 2 of 12

Re: loud beep noise on ideapad y650

Go into the BIOS configuration. Look around for an option to disable the beep.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
arch_one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,094
Message 3 of 12

There's an option in BIOS to disable the startup sound but it doesn't change the beeping. It's twice as loud as my alarm clock. Anyone?

Retired Guru
Views: 5,996
Message 4 of 12

Go in Sound in Control Panel and there in tab for "audio output" go in properties f speakers. There you can see "speaker" or "PC beep". Mute it.
//help will save the world
arch_one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,989
Message 5 of 12

THANK YOU! This is what finally worked. Control Panel / Sound / Playback [tab] / select "Speakers" --> properties / Levels. Set the beep to mute (or somewhere on a 1-100 scale). The default is 100, which is why it's so frickin loud.
rainman797
What's DOS?
Views: 5,573
Message 6 of 12

That solution still isn't working for me. I've got the PC Beep, Microphone, and FrontMic all turned down to 0 and muted and the speakers are still letting out a small airhorn blast every time you unplug or plug back in the power cord or if the power gets below 10%.

Is there anywhere else this might be controlled?

arch_one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,554
Message 7 of 12

I should chime back in and say that the "solution" stopped working for me. I don't know if it was a temporary thing, I was overeager for success, or it only worked for a particular power setting, but the BEEP is back. 

Anyone, especially from Lenovo, know how to fix this for good? Thanks!

lucysmom
Paper Tape
Views: 5,537
Message 8 of 12

I have the same problem but I have Y710-I just muted sounds on stereo icon and added realtec digital output-no loud annoying beeps for 30 minutes but not sure if there is any audio playback capability. This has been awful and I thought I needed a new battery even though I leave it plugged into AC (don't use it away from a inside plug). Still shows no battery power but no loud noises. I have had this laptop for one yr. and just started this. Lenova what say you??

cotoor
Paper Tape
Views: 5,454
Message 9 of 12

i'm having the same problem with my y550.  super annoying.  a friend of mine bought the same computer a few weeks after mine and hers has a BIOS update w/the option to turn off the alert/beep when unplugging the AC adapter.  what we need is lenovo to send out a BIOS update..  lenovo..please!..you have the capability..wouldn't be too hard for you and would be GREATLY appreciated!..  help us out please!

arch_one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,168
Message 10 of 12

I think there's a new BIOS out that you can try. The better news is that upgrading to Windows 7 gave me the ability to mute the sound. I still don't know how to turn it off completely (i.e. when the speakers aren't on mute) but as long as I remember to press the built-in mute button the beep doesn't sound. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors