Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,606
Message 21 of 35

Re: msata drive not visible in Disk Management - Windows 8.1 Lenovo y510p

I downloaded the software and installed onto USB stick. Removed the SSHD, leaving only the SSD. Booted from the USB and started the Setup program. It displayed the SSD as Unallocated Disk 0 (only entry on the screen). IIUC, the correct procedure is to click "New" to make a new volume, then install onto that volume. Error response: Windows cannot install onto the selected location. Error codes (from several attempts) were 0x80300024 or 0x8300002. Googling suggested a workaround was to remove any additional disks from the computer (already done that). Also tried formatting the Unallocated Partition, which resulted in error messages 0x0f54780, 0xff6e0750, 0xff6e0480, and 0xff6e0530. No help found with Google for these codes.

Clicking the "Refresh" button causes the Disk 0 to disappear from the list completely, and a message that no disk drives can be found.

Clearly I am missing something - maybe the SSD is faulty, maybe the SSD port isn't working right, maybe the Y510P doesn't actually support a non-caching SSD. Hard to tell...

Only saving grace in this whole episode is that I found a search term that returns exactly one Google hit. Wasn't that a game from several years ago?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate the effort.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,602
Message 22 of 35

See picture for correct procedure:

how to install Win.JPG

jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,600
Message 23 of 35

Sorry - going by memory to write these responses, so I omitted that detail. I tried that button, but Windows cannot see the drive, and reponds with error message that there is no drive installed (or something to that effect). It's visible on the list at one moment (as unallocated space), and then the list contains nothing after clicking the Next button.

Guru
Views: 1,578
Message 24 of 35

Try a bootable Linux live USB/CD and see if gparted picks up the M.2 SSD.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,568
Message 25 of 35

Good idea, but no joy. Here's what I did:

-changed BIOS boot mode to Legacy rather than UEFI

-booted from Linux Live CD into GParted 

-with HDD in place, and SDD not installed - GParted reported correct configuration

-removed HDD, installed SDD

-confirmed in BIOS setup that SDD is visible

-booted from CD into GParted - "no devices visible"

(I noticed during the boot process there was at least one line where it said there was no disc present)

-checked BIOS settings. Tried different combinations of SATA controller (AHCI and compatible) and Intel Virtual Technology (Enabled and Disabled). No other BIOS settings appear to have any bearing on the drive configuration

-removed SDD, reinstalled HDD, reverted BIOS to original settings. Computer boots normally.

Well and truly flumuxed by this problem. The SDD is always visible in the BIOS, but is not visible to Windows, Linux, or the disk-image-restore program (Macrium Reflect)

I will try to contact Lenovo support to see if I've overlooked anything.

Thanks again for all the help.

jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,549
Message 26 of 35

No - the HDD can be read flawlessly. The problem is with the SDD installed in the M.2 slot. It cannot be seen by any disk management software I've used so far, including booting a Linux CD and using GParted. I am skeptical that a different disk management software will have any different results, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,544
Message 27 of 35

@jacksonmacd wrote:

Sorry - going by memory to write these responses, so I omitted that detail. I tried that button, but Windows cannot see the drive, and reponds with error message that there is no drive installed (or something to that effect). It's visible on the list at one moment (as unallocated space), and then the list contains nothing after clicking the Next button.

Since the ssd is recognized in the bios but you can't write on it the following might be the possibilities:

1. Defective ssd (you need to confirm this by using it in another unit)

2. Incompatible ssd - need to update the firmware, etc.

3. Defective ssd connector

jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,536
Message 28 of 35

@LenBlazer wrote:

Since the ssd is recognized in the bios but you can't write on it the following might be the possibilities:

Just spoke with Lenovo support, and there is a fourth option - the SSD port is usable only as a cache. I am sure I had seen an article online from someone who had successfully installed the O/S onto the ssd, otherwise I would not have pursued it. Sorry to put you through a failed effort. 

Highlighted
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,528
Message 29 of 35

@jacksonmacd wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

Just spoke with Lenovo support, and there is a fourth option - the SSD port is usable only as a cache. I am sure I had seen an article online from someone who had successfully installed the O/S onto the ssd, otherwise I would not have pursued it. Sorry to put you through a failed effort. 

That option was intentionally omitted since I understand your orignal intension is not to use that ssd as a cache. In your link it was stated that the port is only good for cache purposes. It would seem that statement is true at all. As far as the stated success in installing the os it pertains to the regular ssd. I do have a success in installing an OS in an ssd connected to an msata port but it's not in a Lenovo unit. Sorry, since it is your problem the only failure that I can see is in your part not mine.

Guru
Views: 1,568
Message 30 of 35

Quote from http://forum.notebookreview.com/solid-state-drives-ssds-flash-storage/732726-ssd-suggestion-lenovo-y... :

"We have one here in a y510p but only using it as a cache drive. It was recognized by express cache and fnet. I will check the BIOS and try a fresh win 8 install from scratch to see if there are any tricks to it.

Update: Ok here you go

In your BIOS, under Boot, change Boot Mode to Legacy Support, and change the Boot Priority to Legacy First, then exit saving changes and go back into the BIOS. Now under the Boot menu you should have a boot order on the bottom of that boot window.

MyDigitalSSD "

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors