Did you mean: 
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,520
Message 11 of 35

Re: msata drive not visible in Disk Management - Windows 8.1 Lenovo y510p

@jacksonmacd wrote:
No joy...
I use Macrium Reflect (free) to create a disk image and restore. However, it does not see the SSD. Likewise, diskpart sees only one drive. Very frustrating!

I'm not sure if you have read this

jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,511
Message 12 of 35

I had read it when I first considering adding SSD about 3 months ago. Had forgotten about it until you reminded me. A couple points:

- I misspoke when refering to "msata" - the Y510P actually uses m.2 SSD

- the SSD that I purchased *is* m.2 

- the drive fits easily into the port on the computer. It certainly seems correct to me.

- as I understand it, the online discussion revolves around the physical connection between the drive and the port.

This seems like a good resource:

https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/189?&ship_country=CA

I haven't seen anything about configuring the computer. From the input I've received here, the drive should "just work" and be recognized immediately by the computer. Mine is not being recognized. I must be missing something.

Thanks everyone for your input. Still not sure how I will proceed.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,506
Message 13 of 35

@jacksonmacd wrote:

I had read it when I first considering adding SSD about 3 months ago. Had forgotten about it until you reminded me. A couple points:

- I misspoke when refering to "msata" - the Y510P actually uses m.2 SSD

- the SSD that I purchased *is* m.2 

- the drive fits easily into the port on the computer. It certainly seems correct to me.

- as I understand it, the online discussion revolves around the physical connection between the drive and the port.

This seems like a good resource:

https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/189?&ship_country=CA

I haven't seen anything about configuring the computer. From the input I've received here, the drive should "just work" and be recognized immediately by the computer. Mine is not being recognized. I must be missing something.

Thanks everyone for your input. Still not sure how I will proceed.

One main difference that I can see in the instruction is that you must remove other ssd/hdd. Another is that the instruction is for clean installing Win 8.1. If you like this procedure just download Microsoft's media creation tool which you will use to download a copy of Win 8.1 installer (don't select the PRO version). This installer will autodetect the embedded product key in the bios so it will not ask you manually provided them.

jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,498
Message 14 of 35

I must have overlooked that point about removing the other drive. That would make all the difference in the world, but I could have sworn I saw articles about people using both drives. Where did you see it? I looked again thru the article that you cited.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,493
Message 15 of 35

Its in a link in the link that you have provided. Step 1-3.

@jacksonmacd wrote:
I must have overlooked that point about removing the other drive. That would make all the difference in the world, but I could have sworn I saw articles about people using both drives. Where did you see it? I looked again thru the article that you cited.

jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,473
Message 16 of 35

LenBlazer: just to let you know that I haven't had a chance to try machine with the primary drive removed. The article proposed that as a method to ensure the correct disk is used for booting.
jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,461
Message 17 of 35

Tried one more time to restore disk image to the SSD, after removing primary HDD and leaving just the SSD. The image-restore software explicitly says it cannot detect a local disk to restore onto. Removing the SSD physically from the machine also removes it from the BIOS list of installed devices. So the BIOS can see the SSD, but Windows cannot.

What a frustrating experience!
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,451
Message 18 of 35

@jacksonmacd wrote:
Tried one more time to restore disk image to the SSD, after removing primary HDD and leaving just the SSD. The image-restore software explicitly says it cannot detect a local disk to restore onto. Removing the SSD physically from the machine also removes it from the BIOS list of installed devices. So the BIOS can see the SSD, but Windows cannot.

What a frustrating experience!

I think the ssd should not be remove but the sshd. Your target drive is the ssd when you restore.

Have you tried doing a clean install into the ssd (sshd removed) just to test if it can be initialized and formatted?

jacksonmacd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,448
Message 19 of 35

I wasn't as clear as I should have been in last message. It described two attempts: 1) restore from external disk image with only SSD installed in machine (restore software could not see the SSD even though the BIOS recognized it as being present) 2) remove ALL drives from computer to verify that the BIOS was reporting correctly what was installed in the machine at the time (it was reporting correctly).

Not sure how I would do a clean install - the only media I have is on the "restore" partition on the SSHD, and nothing seems to recognize the presence of the SSD when it's installed in the machine. Perhaps the "one button restore" would recognize the presence of SSD and offer to restore onto it, but I've been reluctant to try for fear of accidentally wiping the main drive. Open to suggestions how I might proceed under these conditions.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,444
Message 20 of 35

@jacksonmacd wrote:
I wasn't as clear as I should have been in last message. It described two attempts: 1) restore from external disk image with only SSD installed in machine (restore software could not see the SSD even though the BIOS recognized it as being present) 2) remove ALL drives from computer to verify that the BIOS was reporting correctly what was installed in the machine at the time (it was reporting correctly).

Not sure how I would do a clean install - the only media I have is on the "restore" partition on the SSHD, and nothing seems to recognize the presence of the SSD when it's installed in the machine. Perhaps the "one button restore" would recognize the presence of SSD and offer to restore onto it, but I've been reluctant to try for fear of accidentally wiping the main drive. Open to suggestions how I might proceed under these conditions.

For clean install I have stated it in message 13. The "one button restore" or popularly called novo button restore only applies if the sshd is connected. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors