Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lovro-N
Punch Card
Views: 2,125
Message 1 of 11

my Y50-70 wi-fi nightmare

Greetings everyone,

I own a Y50-70 laptop since summer 2014 and until a week ago I never had any problems. I have also been using Windows 10 on it for a very long time without any issues.

Recently I upgraded my SSD and decided to do a clean install of Windows 10, and this is where my troubles began. Few days after I started to have issues with wi-fi connection. It would be either very slow either limited connectivity either unable to connect. Running primitive windows diagnostics didn't solve anything of course. Reinstalling drivers or upgrading it didn't help as well, I went through every possible action I thought of and found online but nothing would help.

After few restarts or next day connection would work normally but not for long, it would all came back. At that stage I was convinced I have software issues so I decided to do a clean install of WIndows 10 again. It was ok for a day or two after after which it would all start again.

After this I started to suspect that my network wi-fi adapter (Realtek RTL7823BE) is faulty so I removed the bottom cover to gain acces to it ... and then I realized the most unexpected thing.

- while my laptop was flipped and cover removed (I use additional screen) I have a normal connection (30 Mbit)

- right after I cover it (while still flipped) I have the same issue again! And I tested this numerous times to confirm

- if it's covered and flipped back to normal position, not working as well

Now if I swap black and white wires (Main and Aux on the adapter) this is what i get:

-while my laptop was flipped and cover removed speed was more unstable but ok (15-28 Mbit)

- with cover on speed goes down to 9-15 Mbit, but hey, it's working!!!!!!!!

- if it's covered and flipped back to normal position, the speed is 15-18 Mbit

As already mentioned the adapter is Realtek RTL7823BE. During all this tests, even when I had no connection, signal strenght was on full, I'm 3-4 meters from the router anyhow.

I can't stress enough how anoying and irritating this is, not to mention time consuming.

Somehow I don't believe there's a problem with the adapter, but with the antennas or with one of the antennas?

If you have any suggestions or ideas, pleasy help. I really don't want to live with my laptop standing like this Smiley Happy

20170107_144112.jpg

forgot to mention: all the other devices in the house don't experience such problems

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 2,086
Message 2 of 11

Re: my Y50-70 wi-fi nightmare

It is just my assumption, but I guess you are not replace the SSD yourself did you? If you really not, did you saw they replace the SSD for your laptop? Did you go to Lenovo's partner to get it replace?

This is all assumption, but I think the technician get get your internal parts f**k up. Maybe he replace some of your parts or even damaged it without knowing. Because all your evidences pointed that way. Not to mention the Wifi adapter to very close to SSD/HDD dock.

PS. My adapter is 'Atheros AR956x' so I can't really tell if your wifi is replace, damaged or just too old (lol). But my wifi sometime also have problem. But restart the computer fixed the problem for me (the problem occur because I use the same adapter to 'receive' and 'send' the signal at the same time).

Lovro-N
Punch Card
Views: 2,083
Message 3 of 11

I replaced SSD myself, as well as I installed my first SSD about 2 years ago (upgrade from stock HDD). I can't imagine sending my laptop to service for something that simple Smiley Happy

But I was carefull as allways, I'm sure I didn't **bleep** up anything myself, I opened this casing numerous times before. I just swapped SSD's, the only connector I touched was SATA.

I wish a simple restart would help me as well, but I'm not that fortunate.

Thanks for the answer,

L

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,055
Message 4 of 11

Sounds to me the antenna's not working. Either not snapped properling into the PCB or end is damaged. It works with the cover off at close range like due to the shielding effect of the cover. Many EMI inference on them to eliminate interferance. Short of having an antenna lead pinched shorting but thats all that comes to mind. 

PS: The antenna wires are small coaxal connections and the connector has a very small pin in the center. They will rotate in the plug. I am not sure if you had them off or not but they snap on when I did it on a notebook a long time ago.

Good luck

No antenna, not signal range and low throughput.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Lovro-N
Punch Card
Views: 2,031
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for your input tripplec!

Yes I think it's definitely something with the antenna. But also very strange thing is that when the cover is removed and main antenna (black wire) is connected to MAIN everythink is fine, but when I disconnect that black wire from MAIN I completely lost connection...so there must be some signal coming to the antenna.

Also, as I can see, AUX pin on the adapter doesn't do anything, without MAIN connected there is no signal, without AUX signal and speed is the same.

I checked antennas connectors and wires for damages all the way until the back end of the laptop, where they're continuing towards display. It may also be that main antenna PCB is causing this, but then I would have to disaseble the display cover, not a big deal but still would like to avoid.

After I returned the wires back to their place around the air cooler and connected them back to the adapter I tried putting back the cover and putting laptop in normal position and voila, now it works, with maybe a minor decrease in speed of 5-10% ... but we'll see for how long.

I forgot to mention that I did all the speed tests with Ookla.

All the suggestions/tips are still welcome! Smiley Happy

Cheeres,

Lovro

Lovro-N
Punch Card
Views: 1,727
Message 6 of 11

Greatings once again my fellow Y50-70 sufferers!

So, everything was more or less fine until few days ago when all started to happen once again...somewhere at the time when I upgraded to 17017 pre-release fast ring build (I'm a W10 insider!). I don't necessarely connect this two events.

Anyway, the behaviour is more or less the same as described in my original post, so I didn't really want to start a completely new topic.

Once again, I have to remove the bottom cover to be able to use internet at all, although the bars  show full signal strength and the laptop is still only a few meters from the router. Drivers are the latest ones (October 2017). I decided to run a test with a bootable Ubuntu on USB just for testing purposes and the results are:

With cover on and in the standard position (few meters from router):

- On Ubuntu 17.10 I get a decent speed, but still not the 100%, something like 20 Mbps download, while it's arround 30 on full

- On W10 (pre-release build 17025) I get either a completely crappy speed (like 2-3 Mpps), or completely unstable connection or no connection at all. 

With cover removed (flipped or non-flipped) OR with cover on and something like a meter from the router:

- On Ubuntu 17.10 I get a pretty much full and stable speed (30 Mbps)

- On W10 I get a decent and stable, but not a constant speed (20-25 Mbps), depending on the position/cover

What I think (and I'm by no means a PC expert) is that antenna is not working properly (as suggested to me), but somehow W10 makes the already bad signal even worse, for who know what's reason! Maybe it's connected to newer builds of W10, since it was working fine with the older build. By "fine" I mean relly fine, I remember getting full speeds on my downloads (so even better with Ubuntu), with cover on of course.

In some weird way, I kinda enjoy this puzzle, but it's taking hell of a lot of time Smiley Happy

If anyone has any fresh ideas I would be glad to hear it!

Could the problem be in the network card itself, not the antenna? (Realtek RTL8723BE).

Would a USB wifi adapter dongle be a proper soultion?

p.s. This adapter has a Bluetooth integrated as well. I couldn't pair or make a connection with any of my devices few days ago, until I updated drivers (July 2017 as I remember). Of course I had to do it completely manually since both Windows driver update and Lenovo support/PC suite/bridge were completely useless! On Lenovo support page there are still drivers from 2015, which is a total disgrace!

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,716
Message 7 of 11

Clean install purges all the Lenovo hardware specific files and configuration in the registry.

Its hard to say but going from Win 8.1 to Win 10 as I did does not create a problem. Some drivers need updating and others don't.

Be sure you have run the Chipset driver if their is one as for mine a customized Intel chipset tool. If AMD well that's a different world. You'd have to call tech support and speak to a Lenovo tech.

Any other listed patches for the system. I can see from the photo the antenna are connected. If you see the option in Device Manage you could select to RollBack the driver if it worked well before.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Highlighted
Lovro-N
Punch Card
Views: 1,702
Message 8 of 11

I just checked my chipset drivers and they're new as they can be! And with the older was it was the same. It's Intel btw.

Interesting enough, some of my drivers were dated back in '68 hmm Smiley Very Happy I updated those through windows driver update but no effect. The ones I talk about are under system devices starting with Intel(R)...for example: 

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #1 - 8C10

Basically most of the drivers I found on Lenovo Support are heavily outdated (as described in previous post Bluetooth couldn't even function with it!), and it find it dissapointing.

I tried with various driver versions for my wifi network card...the one from the Lenove support (2016) to the newest one, marked with "creator's update compatible", downloaded from Softpedia, and the result is the same.

When I disconnect antennas from the network adapter I got no signal whatsoever (strength bars dissapear, red x). SO the antenna is still providing some signal, but it could be damaged/weak, and that could explain why I have no problems when I'm very close to the router.

Do you think there's any chance that the adapter itself is broken/failing? I'm still thinking of antenna as a cause. I never did this but I guess I could order or even make some cheap DIY antenna, just for testing purposes.

SAFO-FDEZ
Paper Tape
Views: 1,240
Message 9 of 11

hi, did you solve it????  i have the same problem since the update to w10,  I find in device manager in ANTENNA DIVERSITY SELECTION that if i change it to main,  the wifi gets unstable, if i change it to aux it works a little better, then i start looking to problems with the antenna in google, and  thats how i find this post, well after read all your comments, i hold the laptop with my hands, and it start working perfect, so has you said there will be a problem with the cover and the wire, in the image attached you can see how i solve the problem for now haha. thanks for your info

SAFO-FDEZ
Paper Tape
Views: 1,232
Message 10 of 11

I solved it, I disarm the lid of the screen, at first I thought it was the connection of the black wire of the wifi, since when touching the flex the wifi works immediately, after trying various things, when touching the back of the screen (metal lid) I felt a little electricity at the tip of my fingers,.

After I unplug the charger  the wifi works fine again, then I assumed that it must be a problem with the ground, when lifting the monitor slightly, I notice that the hinge is a little loose and is where I guess it is the fault, lateri will  disarm the rest of the laptop to check the continuity of the ground

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors