Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 24,288
Message 1 of 7

"No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" on Z710

Hi I'm trying to boot from a USB stick on the ideapad Z710. My process is I format the USB stick to FAT32 and set the bootable flag to True. Then I use dd to copy a Debian GNU/Linux DVD to the USB stick. I press the novo button with my USB stick inserted and select the USB HDD from the Boot menu. Each time I get the message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I've tried this with multiple USB sticks, so I don't think it's the hardware.

In the BIOS Boot Mode is [Legacy Support], Boot Priority is [Legacy First], USB Boot is [Enabled], and USB Legacy is [Enabled].

I've never been able to boot from USB on this machine. How can get the laptop to boot from USB?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 24,254
Message 2 of 7

Re: "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" on Z710

hi mttp,

In the BIOS, can you set the following settings and observe:

Security Tab:

Secure Boot = Disabled

Exit Tab:

OS Optimized Defaults = Other OS

- Link to picture

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 24,240
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for replying neokenchi,

Nothing changed after setting OS Optimized Defaults >> Other OS. In my Security tab, I don't even have the option of setting Secure Boot to anything. In my Security tab, I'm missing all the options in your screenshot from Secure Boot down to Restore Factory Keys and instead just have blank space there.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 24,229
Message 4 of 7

hi mttp,

Just to check, were you able to use the bootable flashdrive that you've created on other PC?

If you're also having problems getting them to work on other computers, consider using UNetbootin (see this guide).

You may also want to check the thread below and try the solution that was posted:

Can't boot from disk or USB on Ideapad Z710

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 24,221
Message 5 of 7

The thread you linked to, if you'll notice, was also me---and I'm referrring to the same laptop. The help there got me past the first step of getting to a boot menu; I still have never been able to boot from USB on this machine though.

I am able to boot from the USB sticks I made on an older Thinkpad I have.  

I guess my new question should be "How do I get the Secure Boot option to show up in my BIOS?" That option is not visible in the Security tab or in any of the other tabs. I notice that the firmware in your screenshot has the same version listed as mine, 'Rev. 3.7'.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 24,216
Message 6 of 7

hi mttp,

If restoring the BIOS to its default settings (F9) doesn't show the Secure Boot option under Security Tab  then its likely that your BIOS version doesn't support the feature. Check if your BIOS version is 7FCN95WW (latest from the lenovo website).

Post #7 of this site shows a user that manage to install linux on his Z710 system.

Regards

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 24,067
Message 7 of 7

Hi Neokenchi (or anyone else)--

I've flashed my BIOS with latest version of the firmware using the utility from your website. I still don't see the referred to Security settings. I've gone back to trying to boot from my USB DVD drive as opposed to burned USB sticks per the experience posted at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Can-t-boot-from-disk-or-USB-on-Ideapad-Z71... .

The disk image is checksum verified, and I've been able to boot from this USB DVD drive on my other laptop. I've tried using multiple verified disk images now. The onboard DVD drive doesn't show up as an option in the boot menu. My USB DVD drive does show up as an option but when I try to boot from it by setting it as first priority in the boot options or by using the boot menu from the Novo key, I just end up booting to Windows. When trying to boot from DVD, I don't get the message "No Bootable device found" as I did with the USB sticks; instead, with the DVD images, I get no error at all and instead I just boot straight to Windows.

Is there a way to install a particular version of the BIOS known to have the Secure Boot option? Is there some other setting that can be manipulated so that the Secure Boot option becomes visible? Are there any other workarounds or doublechecks I can do?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors