Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamid_hn
What's DOS?
Views: 1,601
Message 1 of 4

recovery partition problem after installinubuntu

Hi

I just bought a Ideapad z500 (core i7, 500G HDD, windows 8). I need to work in Ubuntu, so I decided to install Ubuntu. After installing ubuntu, I coud not boot windows 8 (the Ubuntu works fine); therefore, I decided to restore system to the original state. But when I use system recovery, it says that the recovery partition is damaged and quits the recovery procedure.

here is some extra information:

• I changed the partitions size to install ubuntu, but I did it only on two available partitions, not the hidden ones with recovery data.
  • It was Ubuntu 12.04
  • After seeing problem in booting windows 8, I tried to repair partition table using grub. it did not help.
  • I do not have any backup media from the original state of the laptop

Is there any suggetion to recover my laptop to the original state? Any information is appreciated in-advance.

Thanks!

Hamid

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,577
Message 2 of 4

Re: recovery partition problem after installinubuntu

hi hamid_hn,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums

If you repartitioned or resized the HDD, One Key Recovery (OKR) may not work as the system may not recognize the current partition structure to trigger OKR. If this happens, your options are the following:

1. Use another Windows 8 PC and create a recovery drive using this method to restore the Windows 8 OS.

2. Borrow a Windows 8 standard disc to clean install Windows 8 (Windows will be automatically activated via the OA3 key)

3. If you have a Windows 8 retail key, you can create a Windows 8 disc / USB using this method

4. Contact lenovo on how to obtain a copy of the recovery disc (this contains an image of the OS which includes the drivers and pre-installed apps).

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

hamid_hn
What's DOS?
Views: 1,561
Message 3 of 4

Re: recovery partition problem after installig nubuntu

Thank you for the reply!

All the hidden pattitions, including OKR partition are still there and even, I chechek and the data file structure in the partitions seem to be ok. I change the partitions only by resizing the Windows and Lenovo  (the one for data and applications) partitions. Do you say that even in this situation I could not use OKR partition anymore?

Thanks!

Hamid 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,536
Message 4 of 4

Re: recovery partition problem after installig nubuntu

hi,

Yes, if the partition structure (partition ID, disk size, drive letter, etc.) has been modified, the OKR functionality may not work.

Check these articles as they have guides on how to restore the OKR functionality:

OKR button works after Partition resize

Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors