Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antonx
Punch Card
Views: 2,715
Message 1 of 7

replace hard disk lenovo y50-70

can i replace the hard disk with ssd 850 evo sata 3 2,5  ? or i need another model?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,707
Message 2 of 7

Re: replace hard disk lenovo y50-70

hi,

Some users (like in this thread) are having issues on the Samsung 850 Evo not being recognized by the Y50-70's BIOS but for some reason the Samsung 840 Evo works well on this machine.

Thread:

Y50-70 SSD replacement and Windows 8.1 migration

Video:

Lenovo Y50 SSD and RAM Tutorial

If you already have the SSD then you may want to try it out and if that doesn't work, try updating the BIOS from the Y50-70 drivers page and observe.

If you haven't ordered the drive yet though then you may want to go for the 840 Evo instead as others have successfully tried this on their Y50.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

antonx
Punch Card
Views: 2,703
Message 3 of 7

thank you for your answer if i can ask you an advice.I have to replace this hard disk because it give me a lot of problem.what is better ? buy an ssd or another hard disk?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,685
Message 4 of 7

hi,

If you want fast response time when you load up the OS, apps, documents, and games then an SSD upgrade would be the way to go and just convert stock drive into an external drive by using a 2.5 SATA Enclosure (like this item).

However, if you require a bigger capacity hard drive, you can opt to get an 1TB SSHD or a 7200 RPM drive so you can at least have a good response time without sacrificing the drive capacity. You can then convert the stock drive into an external drive for additional storage.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

antonx
Punch Card
Views: 2,678
Message 5 of 7

ty for your answer i would buy a ssd but i read that it have a really short life.Is it true?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,662
Message 6 of 7

Upgrading to an SSD would be a good investment as I've done the same on an old 2011 laptop and the performance increase were great (used an OCZ Vertex 450 coupled with upgrading the RAM to 8GB). 

As for SSD's MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)  the Samsung 840 Evo has a Reliability MTBF of 1.5 million hours so as long as you enable TRIM and keep the machine well ventilated, the SSD will last years.

Regards

antonx
Punch Card
Views: 2,657
Message 7 of 7

thank you for all your answer

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors