Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kosenik
Paper Tape
Views: 17,870
Message 1 of 25

screen fickering on Y40-80 on battery

Hi there

My Lenovo Y40-80's screen is flickering like crazy while on battery. I have to move it up and to for it to stop. I don't think its a faulty screen because while plugged-in it works great.

i read it's probably a driver issue and I updated bought drivers but still no success.

Thanx in advance for the help!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 17,825
Message 2 of 25

Re: screen fickering on Y40-80 on battery

hi kosenik,

Can you try the following:

1. Right click on the desktop and navigate to Graphics Properties > Power > On Battery and set the following settings:

Power Plans = Maximum Performance

Display Power Saving Technology = Off

- Sample image

2. Follow this guide on how to disable adaptive brightnses.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

kosenik
Paper Tape
Views: 17,804
Message 3 of 25

thanks, neokenchi
It seems to be working. Thanks for the fast reaction.

danush
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,511
Message 4 of 25

Hello!

Ihad purchased lenovo y 40-80 two months ago. I too have the same issue i.e the screen flickering. I too changed power settings in the intel graphics, even after making necessary setting changes i experience a large amount of flickering in the display. I recently read a post in y40-80 forum which states that the problem is due to loose connection in the LCD cable. To test that i connected my laptop with my TV , if it was a software problem display would had flickered on both the TV and Laptop. But only the laptop display flickered while the display on the TV was working fine. I dont know what to do whit this laptop know. Solutions are welcomed. Thank uSmiley Happy

Highlighted
obese_chipmunk
What's DOS?
Views: 17,463
Message 5 of 25

I've got this problem too on the y40. I doubt it's a loose connection in the LCD cable because the screen flicker only happens while on battery, and gets progressively worse as the charge gets lower and lower. On two displays, only the y40's display was flickering while my tv was running fine. I think I might have a bad battery. I just updated the bios so lets see if that helps. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to update the integrated GPU (Intel HD graphics 4400). Windows keeps reporting that I've got the latest driver but I don't ever remember updating it in the year that I've owned it. I doubt that would solve the probem anyways.

deaconblues3
Paper Tape
Views: 16,678
Message 6 of 25

This is the exact same problem I am having.  I tried th fixes mentioned above and nothing seems to be working.

MartyParty
Paper Tape
Views: 16,424
Message 7 of 25

I have a Y40-70 with exactly the same problem.  

Display is fine under AC power. However under battery power the issue is experienced as the battery starts to discharge below 90%.  The display begins flickering intermittently and gets worse under CPU load and battery discharge until the display becomes permanently black below 50% with heavy CPU load (confirmed this is not due to screen saver).

Display returns to normal operation immediately upon reconnection to the AC power cord.

I tried all of the driver and power management suggestions listed here and elsewhere unsuccessfully.

I submitted a service request to Lenovo Tech support.  After working through several scenarios over the phone, Tech support ordered new Battery, Mother Board and Display panel for my Y40.

The "In home" support Technician worked on the machine last week and replaced all three items.  No flickering was observed with the laptop on battery power.

Subsequently however we discovered an issue with the new panel (dead pixels in the shape of upside down "D A"), so the technician replaced the new panel with the original panel.  NOTE THE FLICKERING RETURNED.

Therefore the root cause appears to be with just the DISPLAY PANEL. (not the Motherboard or battery)

The unit is having a second replacement panel installed today so I will provide an update later.

Best regards

rydorrin
Paper Tape
Views: 16,280
Message 8 of 25

Was your issue fixed I just started having the flickering issue only on battery

MartyParty
Paper Tape
Views: 16,275
Message 9 of 25

Update:  Screen Flickering on battery was resolved by installing a new LCD panel. The computer has been operating perfectly for about 2 weeks now.

As a side note, if you do arrange for a new panel to be installed you may see the letters "DA" printed upside down in the lower left quadrant.  It appeared to be dead pixels (hence the reason for the return of the first new panel) however it turned out be something printed on the front of the screen.  The technician was able to remove it easily with regular liquid LCD screen cleaner and a microfibre cloth.

So in summary the symptoms were high speed flickering that begins shortly after disconnecting the AC power (unit now running on battery alone) and gets progressively more intense until the panel goes completely black around the attery at 50% mark.  THe display can instantly be restored by plugging in the AC cord.

Lenovo replaced the motherboard, battery and the panel but the root cause of the flickering was a fault in the LCD panel.

Lenovo support were really good with the exception of not providing guidance to the tech about the letters "DA" printed on the new panel.

Cheers

DB113841
What's DOS?
Views: 16,140
Message 10 of 25

If that's true, why did it only start occurring to me after installing Windows 10? I've been trying all sorts of settings adjustments and waiting for Intel to release new drivers for the onboard graphics. Thank goodness I still have some warranty left, I guess.

Also, does anyone know how to install that ACPI update in the Lenovo drivers and software? Nothing happens when executing it either from Administrator Command Prompt or clicking the icon.

Top Kudoed Authors