Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derekdunn1873
Punch Card
Views: 3,234
Message 11 of 25

Re: screen fickering on Y40-80 on battery

Unfortunately I do not have any warranty left....

Did you try to revert back to Windows 8.1? I am seriously thinking of doing this, and selling the hunk of crap to some poor soul and buying something that actually works.

derekdunn1873
Punch Card
Views: 3,217
Message 12 of 25

As an update to this, the problem was not fixed after reverting back to windows 8.1

rydorrin
Paper Tape
Views: 3,153
Message 13 of 25

Well replacing the LCD panel fixed the issue for me as well I also have the upside down DA on the LCD but the problem is resolved.  I do find all of this very strange I wish Lenovo would chime in on a cause of this issue for the folks who aren't in warranty becuase this seems like faulty equipment.

HMutlag
Paper Tape
Views: 3,053
Message 14 of 25

My Y40-70 screen had the same problem tried all solutions since it is out of warrenty. The root cause of the flickering was a fault in the LCD panel. I have replaced the LCD from laptopscreen.com and it works fine now.

MartyParty
Paper Tape
Views: 3,046
Message 15 of 25

This message is for all of you who replaced your LCD panel and have the updside down "D A" printed on the front somewhere.

I had this too and you can remove it using any standard LCD TV or Panel cleaner. I came off quite easily for me.

UPDATE - Still no flickering from the new LCD panel so it was definitely root cause.

Good Luck

Marty Party....

cwk11
What's DOS?
Views: 2,950
Message 16 of 25

I have the exact same symptoms.

The suggested Display Power Profile settings did help the scenario as the flicker was immeditate before the settings change, and now only occur at or below ~40% battery life (and disappear completely with the power cord plugged in).

Sadly I am also out of my warranty period by ~6 months.

Too bad as this seems to be a reasonably common defect and my "laptop" is now a "teathered" laptop.

Sadly, this was my first venture into Lenovo land, it's already been RMAed once as the sound port did not work on laptop arrival. So this is strike two now, basically with a screen/battery pair that only a little over a year.

Girl22
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,471
Message 17 of 25

I have the same Screen/Battery issues.
rkwak
What's DOS?
Views: 2,298
Message 18 of 25

I read through the almost all posts related to the screen flickering issue.  I have read that it is a driver issue, lcd screen issue, battery issue, windows 10 issue, etc.  

I first noticed the flickering after I upgraded to windows 10.  It turns out, it started flickering in windows 8 after I wiped my hard drive and installed windows 8.  I then realized it was not a windows 10, driver, adapter or anything for that matter.  I read that some have fixed the issue by changing the lcd screen.

It just did not make sense that lcd only flicker only on low battery juice.   But, it did make sense that resistance  maybe too much under lower battery power which led me to believe that it may be a connection issue.  I then opened my lower case and unplugged the wire from lcd to motherboard and put it back together.  I tested only to find out that it is still flickering.  Next, I opened the bezel from the upper lcd portion of the laptop.  I lifted up the bezel, wedged my nail at the camera area and then lifted the bezel off.  I then unscrewed the 4 screws and unplugged the lcd from the cable that came from the motherboard.  (be sure to remove the tape that is protecting the connecting)   I then put the screw back and guess what, the window stopped flickering then by my movement of the connector, it would flicker and not. The batter was still below 40% when it stopped flickering (it was flickering at 60% before).  So apparently, the connectors are bad.  I jiggled it until it stopped flickering then placed another tape on the connection area.  So far so good.  I hope this helps. If it works for you, please let me know.

dgoldenberg49
What's DOS?
Views: 2,096
Message 19 of 25

Hi so bottom line we all have faulty screens???

does Lenovo acknowledge a problem??

David G

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,075
Message 20 of 25

Removed a comment that was against Forum Guidelines.

Please review the Guidelines before posting, especially this section:

-It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member, but it is not acceptable to use this forum in an attempt to broadly organize or incite members en mass, to cancel orders, return systems, undertake legal action or otherwise disrupt the normal business processes of Lenovo.

Regards,

Dave

Top Kudoed Authors