Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caveman0829
Paper Tape
Views: 4,230
Message 1 of 10

unable to restore Y450 to factory state

Hi,

as the title states, im unable to restore my laptop to factory state. i've tried using the one key recovery but it doesnt help. it keeps on restoring the laptop to a state wherein there are still programs installed w/c shouldnt be(ie: yahoo, ms office, team viewer, etc). i was trying to look for a way to try formatting it manually but im afraid it might damage the partition.

below are the steps that i did:

- turned off my laptop

- pressed the "One Key Recovery" button

- selected "One key Recovery"

- selected "Restore from initial Backup"

then the process goes on, then it will just restore the laptop to the state describe above.

- now im wondering if theres any other way for me to wipe the "C" drive 1st then reinstall the windows.

- also i wanted to know if theres a way for me to get the windows that came w/ the laptop? as i really dont want to go to a service center.

any suggestion will me much appreciated.

thanks and cheers!!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,186
Message 2 of 10

Re: unable to restore Y450 to factory state

Hi caveman0829 and welcome to the Community,

You're doing the right steps to restore to the factory state. The initial setup does come with some trial programs, like MS Office.  Yahoo and Team Viewer I don't know about, but they could be there initially. I always have to uninstall a bunch of trial stuff when I restore a machine to factory state. 

Did you initially burn a set of recovery discs?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-4M7HWZ

You can start here to get a set of recovery discs.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
caveman0829
Paper Tape
Views: 4,180
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

From what i can recall i did a burn a recovery discs but i cant find it now, tried looking for it since yesterday but really cant find it.

Is is still possible to burn a set of recovery discs?

Also any idea if we can get a copy of our windows?

Thanks for the reply again. cheers!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,172
Message 4 of 10

I'm fairly certain that the system will only allow you to burn one set of discs.  Restore discs are going to put the same OS on there  that recovering from the partition will and you're saying that's different than what was on there.

If you're looking to install a clean install of Windows, you can download the image and burn it to a disc.

http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1586&News=Download+Microsoft+Windows+7+Free

You'll have to reinstall all your drivers doing this.

You are using Windows 7, right?

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
caveman0829
Paper Tape
Views: 4,168
Message 5 of 10

Hi Dave,

I am downloading the One Key Recovery program now and will try to burn a set of recovery discs, hopefully this will work and if not I might try the link that you've given for a clean install.

Also about the windows that I will be downloading, it will need a key right? If it does, can I use the key that I have now(the one that's currently installed and came w/ the laptop).

Oh and yes, I'm using win7.

Thanks again and cheers!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,153
Message 6 of 10

Yeh, you can use that key. Make sure you install the same version that it says on the key.  You'll have to activate it by phone, but that takes about 5 minutes.

If you use one key recovery, once it's back  as the OS, I'm pretty sure you can burn another set of restore discs.

Dave

caveman0829
Paper Tape
Views: 4,144
Message 7 of 10

Just installed and run the One Key Recovery but it failed on me again.

while it was burning a recovery discs, the laptop restarted then i tried again but now its giving me an error.

looks like the best thing that i can do here is download the above windows and activate it using the current key.

BTW Dave, when you say activate by phone you mean i need to call microsoft hotline right?

Again, you really help me alot man! thanks again and cheers!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,139
Message 8 of 10

When you get it installed, you need to be online. I usually keep a usb wifi adapter around incase windows can't install the wireless card.  

Go into control panel,, system, at the bottom it'll say to activate. Click to say activate now, it'll probably fail and give you choices on how to activate it. One of those choices will be phone activation.  It'll be a robot.  When it asks how many computers was this installed on say one.  It'll give you a bunch of numbers to enter on your computer and when it's done, it'll be activated.

When you download the iso you'll have to burn it to a dvd and make it bootable. There's a few different ways to do it. Hp has a utiliity and MS has a tool.  I always use the MS tool.  Let me know if you can't find it, i'll find it for you.

Dave

Highlighted
caveman0829
Paper Tape
Views: 4,123
Message 9 of 10

Great! thanks Dave, will try what you've said.

Thanks for the help man! cheers!

amigoccs
Punch Card
Views: 2,460
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

You may use diskpart which comes with your Windows, GParted which may be downalod for free, but don't use partition master from EaseUS which will modify your partition ID and your Lenovo OneKey Recovery will fail to recover.

First, you need to fix partition ID.

Please google for "Recover Lenovo One Key Rescue after Resizing Partitions". It has detail description about partition for Lenovo computers. I cannot show you the link because I am the writer for it. My previous post are removed because it viloate the rules to provide external links to my own blog.

Then, create a Windows RE flash drive and reset to factory.

If you just want to restore to factory and have tried to fix partition ID but still fail to launch Lenovo OneKey Recovery, please rest your computer with Windows RE. You may google for "Reset your Lenovo Computer with Windows 8" for more detail instruction about how to reset.

Wish it helps!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Amigo

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors