Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
codelancelot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,418
Message 1 of 11

will the warranty cover this for a p500

I have a recently new P500 ideapad aand i wanted to know if the warrenty will cover this. the problem is that a few days ago i was playing hitman absolution on my bed when suddenly my windows 8 gave me its sad face emocon and crashed. when i went to turn it on it gave me the starting automatic repairs. however it was taking long so i turned it off and turned it back on then it gave me the repair status so i turned it off again then turned it on and went to the boot menue planning to turn it on into safe mode. however no such option so rebooted however this time it gave me the blackscreen that said no boot device i rebooted it a few times and the same message kept poping up. then i went to the bios to see if my hardrive was showing up and it was. so i tried everything i could to fix it. ibooted it from a boot cd and did the automatic  system repair but that did nothing i kept it on for one day straight but it kept saying attempting system repairs. then i tried to do system restore but it didnt let me. then i tried to do a system refresh but it said the drive that windows is on is locked. i could get it to boot in safe mode either. so my question is what can i do, and if i cant do anything will the warrenty cover this and if it does what are the chances that my data will stay intact that i wont loose my files please help 

gamer and dubstep lover for life
Guru
Views: 1,394
Message 2 of 11

Re: will the warranty cover this for a p500

Download Ubuntu on www.ubuntu.com

make a live usb or live CD/DVD

For the USB you need universal usb installer

for the dvd just burn the iso

Then boot the USB or CD/DVD

Then access your windows files

Back all your data up,

Then do a complete factory reset from OEM partition.

Done Smiley Happy

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

codelancelot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,386
Message 3 of 11

thanks for the info i will try 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,373
Message 4 of 11

hi codelancelot,

In addition to what jonas_hendrickx have suggested, the OEM factory recovery that he's referring to is the OneKey Recovery button. You need to do a cold shutdown and press this button to perform a factory restore. If the factory restore doesn't work, you may need to call lenovo support as there's possible hardware problem on the machine (could be a bad memory module or a  bad sector on the HDD).

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

codelancelot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,348
Message 5 of 11

yeah i called lenovo support and they told me to do that however it did not work

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,334
Message 6 of 11

hi codelancelot,

DId lenovo support ask you to send the unit in for service when the OKR didn't work?

After digging around, i found these threads with the same errors that you've been getting and their possible solution:

The drive where windows is installed is locked windows 8

Can't boot into windows 8,hard drive locked, can't refresh (see page 5 onwards)

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked.Unlock the drive and try again."

The most common fix from those threads is to run a startup repair using a bootable Windows installation media or force a chkdsk to unlock the drive. If you don't have a bootable Windows usb installation media, you can get ISO's on this website and you can follow this guide on how to create the bootable usb drive.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

codelancelot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,315
Message 7 of 11

no they told me that they where going to send me a retail boot cd and that i had to reinstall windows 8 and loose my files they also said that if that didnt work i should call again and send it too them. btw i did do the boot from a cd and did the repair however the only thing that worked was attumatic repair and i left that running for litterly a day and a half and it kept saying attempting repairs.  systome restore gave me an error and windows refresh gave me the drive is lock stuff as for the links i will check them out thanks. you know i really want to keep my files 

codelancelot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,314
Message 8 of 11

i tried that however that didnt work i couldnt even access my stuff well i did not really know how to 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,292
Message 9 of 11

hi codelancelot,

When booting from the OS or repair disc, can you try to:

1. open a command prompt by pressing Shift+F10

2. on the command prompt, type dirand see if you can locate the drive where you stored your important files

3. when you have located your files, insert a flashdrive with enough free space then type "xcopy <your files jere> <your flash drive destination>" (i.e. xcopy d:\files\*.* /s e:\     - where e:\ is your flashdrive. This will copy all files to your flashdrive ).

4. As an alternative, you can type "notepad" without the quotes on the command prompt. On the notepad, click File > Open then try to navigate to your important files. You can do a "right click > copy' then "right click > paste" to copy your files to the flashdrive.

5. If all the steps above doesn't work, you need to remove the HDD (see page 46-47 of the hardware maintenance manual) and use an external 2.5 SATA enclosure to read the data off the laptop HDD to another PC.

6. After backing up all of your important the data, reinsert the laptop HDD and you can either send the unit to lenovo or boot from the Windows OS disc, open a command prompt by pressing Shift+F10 then type:

a. diskpart

b. list disk

c. sel disk 0 (where disk 0 is your laptop HDD)

d. clean (this will delete all partitions on the HDD)

e. create partition primary

f. exit

Close the command prompt and see if you can install Windows using the recovery disc that lenovo support gave you.

Hope this helps

codelancelot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,268
Message 10 of 11

so far so good

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors