Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyNY
Paper Tape
Views: 4,007
Message 151 of 166

Re: windows 10 upgrade for y40-70 error "Internal Power Error"

Mark, thanks for the update (so to speak). I'm back up and running; I reinstalled Win 10 on my Y40-80. My current AMD driver is 15.200.1050.0; I'm not sure if it was from my previous manual fix of the Internal_Power_Error crash, as I had downloaded the 1050 build on another machine and transferred it to this one via USB key.

I discovered why both my Ethernet and WiFi were out the first time I'd installed Win 10; there's an issue with the Cisco VPN Client that crashes one's connectivity when upgrading to Win 10: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-fix-no-wi-fi-available-issue-after-windows-10-upgrade-1513654 I uninstalled the VPN client before upgrading this time, and have no connectivity problems. I'll leave it to our IT folks to figure out how and when to upgrade the VPN client so I (and other employees)) can reinstall it..

Tony

Former Administrator
Views: 3,875
Message 152 of 166

TonyNY,

Thanks - yes.  Sometimes not so much an update from us and just sharing what has been going on inside.

In situations like these, sometimes the community is on equal footing with the OEM, or even ahead and the community has potentially hundreds of people who can test in parallel and share results.

I also want to acknowledge that I understand that others have found other branches of the driver that might work fine and so it wasn't that we were coming out with the driver that was the definitive fix, but just relaying the one that our dev team has tested and discussed with MS.

On the VPN issue - there are a number of threads on this in our forum and other OEMs as well.  MS released a recent tip on this subject that we've been sharing.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084164

Thanks again for sharing your results - again, in cases like this, the community may figure things out faster .

Best regards,

Mark

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 3,568
Message 153 of 166

Lenovo has released the official process for uninstalling the AMD driver in Safe Mode for customers who upgraded Y40-70 and Y40-80 laptops to Windows 10 prior to Microsoft pushing an updated driver from AMD, resulting in error "Internal Power Error", followed by a "Blue Screen of Death" display.

The process can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/SF15-I0021

The latest AMD driver for Windows 10 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS103851

Thank you,

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,532
Message 154 of 166

@Amy_Lenovo wrote:

Lenovo has released the official process for uninstalling the AMD driver in Safe Mode for customers who upgraded Y40-70 and Y40-80 laptops to Windows 10 prior to Microsoft pushing an updated driver from AMD, resulting in error "Internal Power Error", followed by a "Blue Screen of Death" display.

The process can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/SF15-I0021

The latest AMD driver for Windows 10 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS103851

Thank you,

It should be noted the z51-70 with the amd r9 m375 also had this issue the same procedure fixed it as well and the driver posted in its download area is the 1045 driver and it worked for me.

ArchaeSteve
What's DOS?
Views: 3,507
Message 155 of 166

Amy,

Thanks for the update. I followed all the instructions you listed above (uninstalled AMD driver in safe mode - restarted - downloaded the new driver from your link - restarted).

However, my y40-70 still didn't get fixed (I don't think...). When I went back to Device Manager after I did all your steps, the AMD driver is not under the Display adapters drop-down. Is this normal? If not, any suggestions for the next steps to fix it?

I appreciate the attention you guys are putting on this issue.

ArchaeSteve
What's DOS?
Views: 3,495
Message 156 of 166

Never mind. Reinstalled it and things are looking good.

Thanks again.
Former Administrator
Views: 3,448
Message 157 of 166

Steve,

Thanks for the follow up.   We believe these fixes work and it really helps when you guys confirm, or let us know there may be outliers we need to revisit.

Glad it is working for you now.

Mark

infraredted
Punch Card
Views: 3,121
Message 158 of 166

Finally! This last solution 'took'. Took two attempts toget into Safe mode but when I did I uninstalled the AMD Radeon graphics driver and rebooted twice and the 2nd time, the new driver was installed. Everythin's gone swimmingly since and 10's percing along nicely. Thanks to the community & the Admins for all their collective knowledge & patience.

hamzajb
What's DOS?
Views: 3,019
Message 159 of 166

what if I reverted to window 8.1 can I replace the driver for AMD before and then upgrade to windows 10 to avoid problems altogether?
infraredted
Punch Card
Views: 2,993
Message 160 of 166

I tried that previously and the upgrade installed the wrong driver. It's best just to do the steps indicated in the earlier post.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors