Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
35w4
Paper Tape
Views: 6,433
Message 21 of 166

Re: windows 10 upgrade for y40-70 error "Internal Power Error"

Are you at 15.200.1065.0?

I just had that problem this morning, followed the above instructions about safe mode, downloading the file from AMD etc, still blue screened, like you, after a brief period. So I disabled the device then went to Update Driver, took it to 15.200.1065.0 and all is fine since then.

tashurthan
Paper Tape
Views: 6,423
Message 22 of 166

Gonna give this a shot, thanks for the tip.
Former Employee
Views: 6,404
Message 23 of 166

Lenovo is investigating these customer reports.

I will post again when I have more information.

Thank you,

spkissane
Paper Tape
Views: 6,365
Message 24 of 166

I tried the fix, updated my drivers, restarted, computer still crashed. But now when I try to restart into safe mode it crashes there too. It also crashes when I try to do a system restore. So I don't know what to do at this point
aaronmanan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,356
Message 25 of 166

Windows 10 Lenovo Y40-80 Fix

I was getting the internal power error blue screen after about 30 seconds after Windows booted up.  The issue is related to the AMD Radeon R9 M275 graphics card drivers.  The goal in this fix is to disable the AMD R9 device.  Locate the updated catalyst software from AMD and then update the new driver from the web.

1. Log into windows
  2. Very quickly navigate to bottom left corner and left click on the new Windows start menu.
  3. Find the Settings option in the windows start menu and left click.
  4. The new settings menu appears.  Find the menu option Devices, Bluetooth, printers, mouse and left click.
  5. The Device menu will pop up.  Navigate to the bottom of the page and Left click on the link Device Manager.
  6. The device manager will pop up. Navigate down the list and locate display adapters.  Find the  AMD Radeon R9 M275 and left click on it to bring up its property menu. Click on the driver tab. Click to disable the device.  Remember this all has to be done within about 30 seconds so be quick.
  7. Once the graphic adapter driver  is disabled then you have time to relax.  The system should not blue screen.
  8. Open up your browser and navigate to AMD website and download the latest version of catalyst.  I believe it was released today 7/29/15 Catalyst 15.7.1
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64\
  9. Install the the software.  While installing the software It “says its installing updated driver” but its not really the one you need.  After the software is done installing it will request to reboot the system.  Do Not Reboot the system yet.  Wait until you update the driver.

Go back to into the device manager where the AMD Radeon R9 M275 was disabled.  Left click on the device and back into the driver tab.   Left click to update the driver.  Allow microsoft to go to the web and install.
My version was updated from 7/21/15 version 15.200.1065.0

So far everything is working pretty solid.  No Blue Screens!  I hope this helps someone out there.

Thesaint643
Paper Tape
Views: 6,285
Message 26 of 166

Re: windows 10 upgrade for y40-70 error "Internal Power Error" SOLUTION

1-Go to safe mode

2-Uninstall completely the AMD Drivers

(a-Open Device Manager, right click on the AMD Radeon R9, left click on Uninstall, check the box to uninstall Drivers, click OK.

b-Then click on Refresh so that it comes back up as a Unknown Display Device, right click on it and Disable it.

c-Open Windows Explorer, Delete the C:\AMD Folder)

Reboot into windows 10

Go to  Settings:Apps & Features: Click on AMD Catalyst Install Manager and an uninstall box will appear under it just click on it and uninstall it (if it's still there after you tried to uninstall it from the safe mode) if not go to next step

Download the LENOVO windows 10 driver ONLY NOT THE AMD CATALIST DRIVER FROM The AMD SITE

the LENOVO AMD R9 M275 driver can be found here :

http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-y-series-laptops/y40-80/downloa...

Install ....Reboot...and My lenovo Y40-80 works with windows 10 with the amd card enabled

Good Luck all you Technicians Out there

Sly

lenovo Canada and US 1-877-453-6686

AMD Canada 1-877-284-1566

spkissane
Paper Tape
Views: 6,248
Message 27 of 166

So is there ANYTHING that can be done if it wont give me enough time to do anything before it crashes, and wont let me get to safe mode either?
killersdeat0
Paper Tape
Views: 6,171
Message 28 of 166

@spikssane Try going in the Bios and turn off switchable graphics into the other option. That let me go to the safe mode using the shift restart method. However, I'm still crashing after the update to the new AMD drivers.

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,161
Message 29 of 166

I have this same issue on my z51-70. 

Transbvk
Paper Tape
Views: 6,133
Message 30 of 166

Hi,

I had faced this while trying the above steps, follow this if time permits. :

1. Windows + r
2. msconfig.exe > Go to Boot Tab
3. Check Safe Mode with Minimal option selected.

Just these 3 steps if u could perform with race agaisnt time, it would re-boot on safe mode

After that you can follow the AMD Drive Uninstall- Re Install process. Looks like AMD driver was the issue. I had disabled the WiFi as well thinking it could also be Wireless driver problem.

Running my machine past 15 minutes, no Blue screen yet. I hope I do not regret to update. BTW im on Y40-80.

Cheers !!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors