Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shawie60
Fanfold Paper
Views: 673
Message 1 of 4

windowx xp on z580 laptop?

Hi guys, i've tried installing windows xp (64bit ) on a windows 8 z580 laptop and run into problems. I created and system backup (for some reason there wasnt an option to create recovery disks as it says in the manual)

Then I altered the bios to the legacy options so i could see the drive etc. Then booted from the xp disk and started the install. my intention was to delete the 'c' partition ith the win 8 install on it (hate the thing!) and use it for xp pro 64bit

However it wouldnt let me install even when i tried deleting the partition and creating another. All I got was a criptic message regarding mbr and a64 bit or something.(sorry should have written the details down!) another thing that puzzled me was the 900gb partition seemd to be dulicated somehow. I am pretty used to doing this sort of thing but this is a new one on me.

I also tried another proprietary program thinking if I create a active partiton I'm ready to go but it wouldnt let me do that either.

I made sure I didnt touch any of the recovery partitions so i can still boot into windows 8 but as I mentioned I cant get on with it at all.  So I'm here looking for advice and sugestions please. Any guidance would be most greatfully recieved.

many thanks

glenn

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 637
Message 2 of 4

Re: windowx xp on z580 laptop?

hi shawie60,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community,.

Most lenovo systems that has Windows 8 pre-installed has the GUID Partition Tablet (GPT). Upon checking your HDD, it comes with a single 2.5 SATA HDD. In order for you to install Windows XP, you will need to convert it to MBR. To do this, you will need to completely wipe the partition.

You can try to:

1. Use GParted to convert the GPT disk to MBR. (burn a bootable ISO image to a cd or USB)

2. Take out the HDD on the laptop,  put it in a SATA USB Enclosure and then connect it to a Windows 7 PC. From there, use Disk Management to convert the GPT to MBR partition.

Note:

Please backup necessary files before converting the disc from GPT to MBR

3. After converting the HDD from GPT to MBR, boot into the BIOS and go to:

a. Configuration Tab and set the settigns for SATA Controller Mode to Compatible

b. Under Boot Tab, make sure UEFI is disabled.

Now boot your Windows XP CD and try to install it.

Let me know if you get any errors.

Cheers.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

shawie60
Fanfold Paper
Views: 606
Message 3 of 4

many thanks, I'll give that a go, I do appreciate the info and your input to ..
Glenn
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 596
Message 4 of 4

HI
Just to remind you, you will loose one key backup also.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors