cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hsssun
What's DOS?
Views: 65,831
Message 1 of 7

won't charge when plugged in! port problem or adapter? (Z470)

hey guys, my laptop won't charge even when the charger's plugged in.

im not sure if the port is the problem, because it would work SOMETIMES when positioned in certain ways. 

i don't think my battery is the problem because i started having this problem after i accidentally dropped my laptop, on the side where the charging port is located. the charger was plugged in then, too.

so it's either the charging port or my adapter, but i don't know which. i thought it might be my charger because my laptop would charge sometimes when positioned in certain ways. but then i tried my friend's charger and it didn't work, so it might be the port. but her charger's output voltage (i think) was different from mine, so i'm not sure if that was why. i'm hoping it's the adapter, but idk Smiley Sad

anyone has an idea what the problem is? and if it is the port, how much would it cost me to fix it? PLEASE HELP!!

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 65,577
Message 2 of 7

Re: won't charge when plugged in! port problem or adapter? (Z470)

Hi and welcome
At this point it would be best to contact lenovo support.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 65,664
Message 3 of 7

Hi Hsssun,

probably the DC Power Jack  need to get fixed, see eBay sales of similar items,

unfortunately nothing for IdeaPad Z470 model presently...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ideapad+dc+power+jack&_sacat=0&_odkw=laptop+dc+power+jack&_osaca...

Zehn

repress
Blue Screen Again
Views: 65,154
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

I have the same problem with my IdeaPad Y460p, only I never dropped mine. For a long time, I could trick it into believing it was plugged in by moving the cord into various crazy configurations. Finally, it refused to believe any longer. I took it to a couple of Geek Squad stations and the consensus was that my adaptor is fine, it's the port that's the problem. Following your advice, I found and bought this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251263393289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Of course, I have no idea how to install it. Could most people who are clever with computers install this or should I take the part to a repair shop. Lenovo wants $100 just to look at it!

admiralghw
What's DOS?
Views: 60,961
Message 5 of 7

I had the same problem but when I took the battery out and put it back in, laptop was still on and plugged in, it magically started charging again.

repress
Blue Screen Again
Views: 60,922
Message 6 of 7

Thank you. I ended up buying a new port on EBay (about $6) and a local guy
came over and put it in. It took a while because the cord on the
replacement was a bit longer than the original and he had a tough time
fitting it, but it's fine now. So I got it fixed for about $30, which
wasn't too painful.

w540_
What's DOS?
Views: 54,791
Message 7 of 7

I really do not understand the change. this port is designed to get problems. a round connector can turn 360°... so the old one was "perfect". i am really sad about this change! i wasted so much time on finding the right position get it to load.

anyway, if the way is to buy a new port i will do it. but how often i have to do it ... half a jear????

a little tip here: if your battery is empty and you need to recharge, you can add an usb-device with an led to one of the usb-ports (e.g. usb-hub) so you can see if it loads or not. if it loads after the blink of the power-button, the led on the usb-device stayed on. so you know the black-box-w540 loads. Smiley Wink

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors