Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diazman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,423
Message 31 of 117

Re: SOLVED_Y460p/Y560p Sound drop out once every 65 sec

Alright Guys. Im very happy to say that my stuttering issues are GONE! A huge thanks to  Zehnsteine &  msuscorpio for the BIOS!. Before this the tech support in Singapore isnt giving a good time with the diagnosis.. Had to restore back to factory settings once and to reinstall all drivers twice and still faced the stuttering issues. Now's all good.

Just to share a screen shot on the BIOS version and the DPC latency in place to detect any spike.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

nishyman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,410
Message 32 of 117

So I ran the test, just like you way you told me to Zehn, and I actually saw no red bars...they were all green. Turned off the wifi, hit the switch on the front of my machine, turned off Virus Pro, and ran a quiet song. All green bars. I have a screen shot as well. The curious thing is, sometimes, like last night when i was gaming, along with the sound stutter would come a simultaneous video sutter as well? Maybe it was just the game lag, but whenever the sound would stutter and lag, the video would lag as well. This only happens sometimes, and it seems like my sound stutter isn't consistently at 65, from what I see from the latency checker..

This is all so confusing! Maybe I have more than a BIOS issue? I was sure that it was fixed when i flashed my system..but it still comes up sporadically. 

here the screenshot when running the checker.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8334/latency.png

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,398
Message 33 of 117

Hi nishyman

what a beautiful DPC Latency screenshot... Smiley Happy
so flashing with the 3FCN17WW BIOS has solved the regular sound stutter issue, which we all suffered.

You might have some other problems, but they have nothing to do with BIOS,
many times some random sound and/or video stutter is caused by buggy software, bad internet connections etc.
A new round of troubleshooting is needed...
does this sporadic stutter show as red spikes in DPC Latency Checker?...
could a certain software like anti-virus... or... or... be the cause?...
may have to many programs running simultaneously?

BTW, what model Y460p do you have... CPU, GPU, RAM, Windows-version?

curious... Zehn

Add....

may also try this (Win7-64bit)...

go to Start->Control Panel-> Programs-uninstall a program->un-install Realtek High Definition Audio Driver,

then install driver from Lenovo Drivers&Downloads site, Win7-64bit version 6.0.1.6220, dated 2011-04-21...

they have fixed some bugs in driver but kept the same version number.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_4746.html

more info...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Y460p-Y560p-No-audio-output-from-built-in...

diazman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,381
Message 34 of 117

Probably could have been a malware or some light virus infection. The last time i had it also lagged my laptop's performance. Additionally, lesser free space on the drive C could also affect abit of performance as what i see from my laptop itself. I tend to save everything else on my external hard disk and free up space on the main drive 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,360
Message 35 of 117

Subject: RE: BIOS Y560p/Y460p
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 00:14:30 +0800

Hi Zehn,

I got this laptop thru the school system. They had already tweaked some of the files in here (adding private school softwares..),
so i was kinda scared to flash the BIOS. Thank god it went smoothly or I'm dead meat... haha
This laptop's great in every aspect of it.. till the stuttering came about. 
diazman

Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 23:12:04 +0700

Hi diazman,
so your Y460p came with newer driver then the one offered on Drivers&Downloads,
my Y560p was manufactured 2011-03-16 and audio driver is version

Lenovo does obviously not believe in keeping the driver site up to date.

On the other hand, just unplug headphones before start up of laptop...
and let's hope, life never gets more difficult than that... haha.

Regards... Zehn

Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 23:40:52 +0800

Hi Zehn,

Sure you can have my permission! Great to help others out there too..
I've just ran a quick check on my Realtek High Definition Audio Driver version, it seems to be version 6.0.1.6265  
instead of 6.0.1.6220.
Correct me if I'm wrong with the version.
One more that though, the mute issues seems to have gone away by itself..
Regards
diazman

Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 17:14:21 +0700

Hi diazman,
I've had the very same 'mute audio' issue after booting with headphones plugged in with previous BIOS as well...
its a known issue!
I removed audio driver, then installed driver from Lenovo Drivers&Downloads site,
6.0.1.6220, date 2011-04-21 ...
they have fixed this mute bug in driver but kept the same version number (Win7-64bit)
http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_4746.html

also read here... but... this thread is old, before driver update, so just for info...
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/Y560P-sound-card-issue-sleep-mode-amp-headp...

With your permission I would like to put part of our correspondence in forum, of course with private info's removed.

Regards...Zehn

Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 16:21:34 +0800

Hi Zehn,

So far nothing out of the ordinary, one small minor thing that i noticed is that if i start up the ideapad with my headset plugged in,
once i plug it out in middle of using the laptop, i experience no sound coming out from the speaker.
That only happened once after the BIOS downgrade.
Bluetooth services are working OK, connected to the TV with HDMI and an external harddisk all OK. I've have yet to try others though..

diazman

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:29:41 +0700

Hi diazman,
congratulations...
no drawbacks with new (older version?) BIOS found so far... but...

I've never tried Bluetooth, never connected external monitor or eSATA device, never inserted Express/34-Card.

Happy computing...  Zehn

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:59:00 +0800

Hi Zehn,

Thank you for forwarding me the BIOS file.
Just a question though, any issues faced after your flashed the BIOS to the 64 version? 

diazman

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 00:10:25 +0700

Hi diazman,

attached find new BIOS for Y460p/Y560p, just UN-zip to use.

-charge battery fully, keep mains plugged in,
-go offline, switch off WiFi, disable Anti-Virus and Firewall,
-shut down, then reboot Y460p,
-double-click  3FCN17WW64.exe to start BIOS installer, then just follow instructions,
-reboot one more time, check if settings of new BIOS are same than old BIOS...

in addition read this...
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Safer-way-to-flash-BIOS/ta-p/310830

NOTE... if something goes wrong flashing BIOS, your machine may be ruined for good!

I'm a Ham-Radio operator and use my machine to generate coded audio signals
for radio transmission, so every split second sound dropout ruined the synchronization.

good Luck... Zehn

BTW, I'm happy to spend my time to help others, would appreciate if you spend time to post
your experience in forum, it may help others as well. 

bankerjoe
Paper Tape
Views: 1,257
Message 36 of 117

Y560p DPC latency and audio drop-out

While investigating my problem, I found this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/workaround-for-y460p-y560p-sound-stutter/m-...

My situation is the exact same. I get DPC latency exactly every 65 seconds, and it only happens when the battery is plugged in.

I called tech support, and they want me to send it to the depot where they will keep it for 7 business days. Factoring in shipping and non-business days, this is a long time to go (approaching two weeks) without my computer which I use heavily for work and leisure.

This is frustrating because:

a) the solution appears to be a BIOS fix

b) they shipped this computer without said fix

c) if i fix it on my own, it voids my warranty

d) the tech support guy on the phone kept talking about the superficial aspects of my problem (speakers, sound drivers, battery), and while I think he understood me, I can easily see the problem not really being solved if I send it in to the depot. "Well, we didn't hear any pops in the audio. We reinstalled your sound drivers."

My question is whether or not there are any channels available to me to resolve this issue without it being such a distruption to my work and my personal computer use (and without voiding my warranty).

Thanks in advance for any help, especially from staff.

bankerjoe
Paper Tape
Views: 1,236
Message 37 of 117

So this thread was really helpful in isolating the cause of the glitchy audio I was experiencing. Thanks to all of you for posting such good updates.

Now the problem is that Lenovo tech support wants me to mail in my laptop to the depot for repairs to get this problem addressed.

I don't want to update the BIOS because that will void my warranty, but I also don't want to be without my computer for two weeks so that they can do a software update.

I mentioned that someone in this thread had a tech support person remote access his computer and fix it that way, but the guy I was speaking to was incredulous and even intimated that that wasn't an accurate representation of what happened.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,232
Message 38 of 117

Hi bankerjoe,

welcome to the club Smiley Wink

In this thread this particular Sound dropout issue has been analyzed in every possible detail and

BIOS version 3FCN17WW64 can be downloaded from msuscorpio's post  27 on page 3.

I wouldn't know that updating a Driver or BIOS will void warranty,  but it's your personal decision,

and Customer Care may be seen different in  different parts of this world even within the same company.

BTW... what model, CPU, GPU, Win version and BIOS version is your laptop?

I'm happy to provide further assistance, if needed... Zehn

bankerjoe
Paper Tape
Views: 1,218
Message 39 of 117

Thanks for your help, Zhensteine. I really do appreciate the dilligence you've put into this problem.

The customer service rep on the phone said it would void my warranty to install another BIOS. If there's someone here who can confirm or controver that, it would be helpful.

I've got a y560p, i7-2630QM, Radeon HD 6570M, Win 7 64-bit,  and 3FCN19WW is the BIOS version.

I've gone with the temporary solution of disabling the battery meter, and that's fixed the problem. But I'm not sure that's a great way to leave it.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,209
Message 40 of 117

Bankerjoe, I was set to go with disabling Battery Management until the cows come home, even put a shortcut icon to

Device Manager on the desktop to quickly enable Battery Meter if needed, not to bad a work-around.

But then this philanthropic Tech Support person from Lenovo Thailand called me and offers to remotely update my BIOS.
In the process BIOS version 3FCN17WW64.exe was left on my desktop and since until now no BIOS is available for 

Y460P/Y560P model on Lenovo Drivers&Downloads site, I offered this file to other sufferers from this sound dropout

problem as help. With much success as you can read in this thread!

"Try to update BIOS and Drivers" is a standard suggestion from moderators in this forum, maybe you have unfortunately stumbled upon an ignorant service rep who could not stand a customer telling him how to solve the issue.

How about starting a new 'installing BIOS voids warranty?' thread?

BTW - my Y560P Model is identical to yours.

Regards... Zehn

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors