Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esued
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,817
Message 1 of 9

y40 graphics card question

Hello:

I just got my y40 and since it has a radeon card I would like to play some games in it, but I notice that it also has a Intel graphics one. My question is: how do I know that the computer is using the radeon one and not the intel hd one?

I know the radeon is way better than the intel one, so I would like to make sure I'm using the radeon

edit: expanding a bit on the problem, I mainly play Blizzard games, and I wanted to update my beta profile, which is basically just your pc specs, it is done through a program from the same company, it tells me all my specs right, but the graphics card it's displaying the Intel one instead of the radeon.

fchung0712
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,799
Message 2 of 9

Re: y40 graphics card question

right click, and click graphics properties. Not the intel one though. Choose the one with the amd catalyst logo. You could also use windows key+s then type amd catalyst.

Then, select Switchable Graphics Application Settings (This is under the Power tab)

The easier way to set this up is, lauch thegame you want to change the graphics for, then close it loads  up. The application should then show up under recent applications. If it doesnot, go to All Applications, and click "Add Application...". Then, Click the box under graphics setting. it most likely will say Not assigned. But sometimes, the AMD Catalyst will select High Performance on its own.

Afterwards, go to the "Switchable Graphics Application Monitor" which is also under the Power tab.

Then, click Start Monitoring. Launch your game, and use alt tab to switch back to the AMD Catalyst window. if the game is using the AMD Graphics, the game will show up.

P.S. When setting the Graphics Setting, Power Saving means it is using Intel HD, and High Performance means that the application uses the AMD Dedicated graphics.

edit:

Right click on your desktop

hardluck57
What's DOS?
Views: 21,199
Message 3 of 9

I am having the same issue as the Original Poster. I tried the power steps listed and that didn't work.

I've uninstalled the original drivers (both Intel and AMD) and then reinstalling with the most recent. It doesn't work.

I am also running a Blizzard game, D3. The screen goes grey, gives me a 3D run error or AMD Display Driver Error and then terminates.

Any other fixes?

fchung0712
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,154
Message 4 of 9

Could you please tell me exactly what the error says? that would help a lot

hardluck57
What's DOS?
Views: 20,926
Message 5 of 9

The error was a failure to initialize 3D services.

I called Lenovo, let them do remote tech support, then they authorized an immediate replacement (showed up in three days) with a tag to send the old one back for free.

The new one works perfect. It was probably a motherboard or videocard hardware and not software problem.

David717
What's DOS?
Views: 18,885
Message 6 of 9

Radeon M275 Graphics card not working.

When i bought this computer i noticed that the game i was trying to run frames were not that high even on the lowest setting (CSGO a fairly easy game to run) when i started looking in to my computers settings i noticed that the Intel HD graphics was still enabled which was making my frames low. I disabled the Intel HD so the only possible graphics card was the Radeon M275 forcing it to use that one. But when i opened up CSGO to see if the frame rate increased, before the game even opens i receive an error saying. "Failed to create D3D device". So i downloaded all the latest drivers such as the AMD catalyst control Centre. I have done that multiple times but the error keeps persisting. I have had the computer for about 4 months and i still dont have this problem fixed. So i have to deal with using the Intel HD graphics. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

David717
What's DOS?
Views: 18,883
Message 7 of 9

Re: Radeon M275 Graphics card not working.

Adding on to my post... Whenever i open any other game they open but run EXTREMLEY BAD. Like 1 frame per second where it is impossible to even play the game whatsoever

chen19960615
Paper Tape
Views: 18,700
Message 8 of 9

Re: Radeon M275 Graphics card not working.

I had a similar problem with this laptop. FPS in TF2 would drop below 30 in combat. I even tried the same solution as you, trying to disable the Intel card, but when I did that, it seemed like the AMD card was de facto disabled too, and tf2 was running 10 fps in the main menu, implying that it was running off the cpu.

What I did to fix the issue, getting consistent 100 fps in TF2 on high settings, without AA, is approximately:

Uninstalling drivers of both graphics cards, and rebooting.

Rebooting triggered automatic reinstallation of the drivers on both cards, making them detectable as graphics adapters again in device manager. 

Uninstalled drivers of the AMD card, without restarting. 

Downloading latest AMD drivers, at least, the latest suitable to the card. 

Manually installing the AMD drivers onto the AMD card from the location of the driver files. 

Note that one or more steps here may be redundant. 

sibsahil
What's DOS?
Views: 2,330
Message 9 of 9

Help Please!

Ican't find my graphics card in device manager. So  I'm unable to install any Amd driver. I checked the BIOS and it has switchable graphics card selected. I have no clue what to do now. Smiley SadInkeddff_LI.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors