Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zagen
Paper Tape
Views: 5,629
Message 1 of 11

y400 manual fan seed control

Is it possible to set the fan speed to a 100% instead of using the auto setting that comes from default? , here is no option in the bios, I`ve tried using SpeedFan and TPFanControl but no luck. On the Energy management app is possible to increase the fan speed using the dust removal option, and indeed it decreases the cpu temps a little, so I'm sure is possible to control the fan through software, the problem is how, any ideas?

Former Employee
Views: 5,564
Message 2 of 11

Re: y400 manual fan seed control

Hi Zagen,

Thanks for posting. To be honest the Fan speed for the Idea machine are pre defined in the BIOS setting and changes cannot be made to it. The Ideapad may not be as versatile as the Thinkpad line hence that is why you may not be able to Speedfan or TPF to control the fan speed as they work best the Lenovo Thinkpad line.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Zagen
Paper Tape
Views: 5,553
Message 3 of 11

Thanks, for the reply, thats a shame. This laptop is amazing, but it gets way too hot and it does it way to fast, if only i could set the fan speed to the maximum this might fix this problem for all the y400 users and you'll get more sales... it should be a simple fix :/, now i'll have to do some weird stuff on the hardware to make it work at full throttle.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,537
Message 4 of 11

Hi Zagen and NINE,

I'm not very techie but I would say that the mechanism in Think and Idea products is different therefore TPF and Speedfan may not support the idea products as expected. Moreover, those are 3rd party tool and should there be anything bad happens due to the change of speed, etc, it's at users own risk. I won't recommend that though.

Regards,
Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,521
Message 5 of 11

@Zagen wrote:

Thanks, for the reply, thats a shame. This laptop is amazing, but it gets way too hot and it does it way to fast, if only i could set the fan speed to the maximum this might fix this problem for all the y400 users and you'll get more sales... it should be a simple fix :/, now i'll have to do some weird stuff on the hardware to make it work at full throttle.

Since there are no available software to control the fan, the only option available is the cooling pad or some external fan to help in drawing out the heat inside. If this were a desktop it could be a different story.

Zagen
Paper Tape
Views: 5,497
Message 6 of 11

@LenBlazer wrote:
Since there are no available software to control the fan, the only option available is the cooling pad or some external fan to help in drawing out the heat inside. If this were a desktop it could be a different story.

Yah, i'll be buying a cooling pad tomorrow, but as far as i've read there is no cooling pad in the market that helps with the overheating on the y400, and i've read reviews on some of those fans that draw the heat from inside and they bassically say that those are useless. I think is pretty lame that lenovo thinks is best to offer fan control on the thinkpad series and just let the ideapad(or at least this y400) run hot just because... , i think lenovo could make all their y400/y500 customers happy by just allowing us to controll the fan speed or make the automatic system more agressive, i care little about the noise when compared to my hands getting burn...

I'm not sure about this, but i think that the cpu fan is a 3 wired fan, with a positive and a negative terminal, and the other one for the fanspeed control, could be possible to remove this wire and make the fan run at full speed?... lets ignore the fact that this might be dangerous and it might void the warranty(if it does please let me know but don't hold yourself and tell me if this idea is correct).

Thanks again =)

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,432
Message 7 of 11

@Zagen wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

Yah, i'll be buying a cooling pad tomorrow, but as far as i've read there is no cooling pad in the market that helps with the overheating on the y400, and i've read reviews on some of those fans that draw the heat from inside and they bassically say that those are useless. I think is pretty lame that lenovo thinks is best to offer fan control on the thinkpad series and just let the ideapad(or at least this y400) run hot just because... , i think lenovo could make all their y400/y500 customers happy by just allowing us to controll the fan speed or make the automatic system more agressive, i care little about the noise when compared to my hands getting burn...

I'm not sure about this, but i think that the cpu fan is a 3 wired fan, with a positive and a negative terminal, and the other one for the fanspeed control, could be possible to remove this wire and make the fan run at full speed?... lets ignore the fact that this might be dangerous and it might void the warranty(if it does please let me know but don't hold yourself and tell me if this idea is correct).

Thanks again =)

Instead of the cpu fan why not just use the ac fan use in equipment? These fans runs faster than the cpu fan. Faster speed more cooling air. Although you should expect a much louder noise and must find a means to properly attach them securely.

Zagen
Paper Tape
Views: 5,255
Message 8 of 11

I found this post that did the hardware mod that i'm talking about:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/327850-28-dv9000-cable

I thought before that it was a 3 wire fan, (which was kind of weird since those with mb control have 4 but i saw a replacement with 3 cables so i got confused). But after i opened my laptop i comfirmed that it has a 4 wire build. I'll place a picture so you can check (or not since it is in terrible quality, sry).

Doing this should be more practical than using external fans, or modding somehow the app.Anyone whilling to take the first step? , i know i'm not the only one worried about the heat this guys generate, so if any of you try this out, let the rest know, or if i do it, i'll post it here. And please Lenovo don't make stupid desicions like the one you did with this laptop, if i knew before hand that this laptop was this hot i wouldn't buy it, i compared to a friends laptop (dell inspiron 14r with same specs, except that it comes with a 650m and not the 750m) and runs pretty cool, likewise the dv4 that have the same specs, also runs cool, you can leave your on top of they keyboard with out a problem, Im really dissapointed.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,243
Message 9 of 11

Really I wouldn't be doing that to my unit. Maybe for a desktop but not for a notebook.

Why not do it yourself to your unit and post it with pictures?

Zagen
Paper Tape
Views: 5,230
Message 10 of 11

Like i said, i'm not quite sure to do it yet, since i got my laptop a week ago, but i'll definitley do it for the long run, as you might have heard, if your cpu stays cools most of the time it will last longer. So i'll wait a few months or check if somebody dared to do it first, but be sure that if i do it i'll be letting you know.

Smiley Happy

PS: Can someone from lenovo let me know if this voids the warranty of my equipment or maybe just the the warranty for the part im modding, which in this case would be the the cpu fan.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors