Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Megan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,354
Message 1 of 4

y430 goes into hard freeze without warning

Since buying the y430 in November the laptop has completely locked me out on several occasions. The system will completely freeze up and the sound will start going into a loop. As far as I can tell this is a video issue, and I'm extremely disapointed with the way this machhine has functioned since buying it. If this is an issue with software than PLEASE tell me how to make it work properly, but if something is broken in my laptop then please give me a replacement for the faulty laptop I bought from your company.

Regaurds 

Retired Guru
Views: 1,342
Message 2 of 4

Re: y430 goes into hard freeze without warning

1) Does it happen under some certain conditions?

2) Does it depend on particular programs you run?

3)Does it hang up completely or only an application is hung?

4) Does HDD lamp works during hang?

5) How long can your laptop run without hanging if you do nothing on it?

//help will save the world
Megan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,339
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply! Smiley Happy

1) Does it happen under some certain conditions?

it doesn't seem to... it will do it while the computer is asleep, it did it while I was taking a quiz for a job interview (sending java code to and from server) it has happened while watching a youtube video, and other seemingly random occurences. I can't really think of anything to really link these events?

2) Does it depend on particular programs you run?

not at all!

3)Does it hang up completely or only an application is hung?

its not like a hang. The screen just freezes in place. there is no cursor movement, no keyboard interaction (can't kill it with ctrl alt deletes and etc) if anything was moving on the screen it would be frozen into place now (video, cursor blinks, anything). I would describe it like a deadlock occured in the processor and now it can no longer move forward.

4) Does HDD lamp works during hang?

I'm not too sure about that one.. I'll look next time. I want to say yes

5) How long can your laptop run without hanging if you do nothing on int?

its just so random. I can leave it on overnight and come back it's fine, but usually when I leave it on over night there are no programs running.

I have a single driver conflict.. I'm assuming the conflict is the mouse or something because that's the only driver software that would not install correctly. The power and everything else I can think of have no conflicts.

I am running Windows Vista Business. It also did the same thing while running under Windows XP Pro.

Thanks!

Retired Guru
Views: 1,333
Message 4 of 4

Megan, please try folowing:

If you do not have Energy Management software installed yet - please install it.

After you do thistake one of it's profiles and tune it so that all devices always work and nothing turns off and laptop doesn't go to any other state afer time.

Then activate this profile and try working in it.

If it helps - problem is in some ACPI system and you'll have to reinstall ACPI driver, hotkeys driver, Energy Management driver, Thermal mode button.

Then, if freese happens again - check logs of security and system journals (Control panel > Administrative tools). This will help getting what'shanging the system. << This is the most important step.

Also, try testing your system by TAT and S&Msoftware to be sure this is not related with overheat somehow.

//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors