Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrasenas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,731
Message 1 of 6

y450 realtek digital output spdif

I am perplexed as to how the digital output is handled in the y450. I bought the y450 because the spec.'s indicated it had SPDIF output via the headphone jack. I wasn't sure whether is was toslink or mono mini 3.5 coaxial. I've read posts in forums which indicate either/or for various ideapad models and did find one which indicated it was a coaxial output in the y450. That was the only specific post to the y450 and I purchased a mono 3.5 jack yet there is no output to my stereo equipment. The sound settings in control panel indicate that the digital output is being generated but  I get nothing in my stereo. Then I thought maybe it was a Toslink but I don't see any light generated from the jack as described in posts identifying as a toslink connection. Does anyone have a definitive answer as to what type of connection the Y450 has for digital output or any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

rexdr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,713
Message 2 of 6

Re: y450 realtek digital output spdif

From which spec information did you find out about it having SPDIF? this website? Because the one I downloaded didn't have that specific info.

I'm thinking of getting a Y450 myself but, still can't decide because still not sure if it has SPDIF, which I think is very important. 

IMO, what good is it to connect the PC to an HDTV via HDMI if the sound isn't output through an HT receiver?  Pointless i think. 

vrasenas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,708
Message 3 of 6

I found the spec's on the ideapad product page. There is a link at the bottom of the page to a pdf file http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/WW/AG/merchandising/US/PDFs/yseries_techspecs_062509.pdf where I found the spec's. If I were to do it all over again I would stay away from any lenovo product simply because of lack of documentation. Having read a lot of posts in this forum there seems to be a great deal of confusion as to what models do and do not have spdif output. I had originally intended to purchase a thinkpad but could not find one with spdif output. Now I'm not even sure if that's the case.

I have not tried the hdmi output but on mine it seems to be direct output from the Nvidia graphics card.

Other issues I have found is an abundant amount of bloatware some of which I had to remove in order for it to work properly, specifically the wireless n connection. The touchpad, "in a word "sucks". It is overly sensitive and does not adapt to the user. I had/have a Thinkpad Z60t which I was spoiled by.

I hope this helps.

SuperToyNC
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,701
Message 4 of 6

I'm using Ideapad U330.
Toslink will only work when using AC adapter, not battery.
Sometimes there'll be no red light until you start playing music.
If Digital Output is not Default Device, there'll be no audio, but there still be red light emitted.
I'm using Windows 7 (7600) and Realtek HD R2.33. (The new R2.34 is released now)
The ATI HDMI Audio Device driver from Reaktek is also needed for another Audio Device called HDMI. (I've 3 audio output devices, Speakers, Digital Output (S/PDIF), and HDMI. And HDMI Output will work only when using ATI display adapter, not onboard Intel one.

P.S. Sorry about my English.
rexdr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,687
Message 5 of 6

@ vrasenas

Thanks for the kind warning & advice...

I'm also quite skeptical about lenovo's products (reliability/bonafidity).  The only reason that was  keeping me into wanting to buy the Y450 is the specs they have in my country.  Intel P7750, Nvidia GeForce GT 130M (512M Dedicated), 2GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB HDD, + Free Samsonite Backpack.  And the fact that it cost the same as an HP Pavilion ,which has a bit lower processor & vga card,  it's quite compelling. 

Inspite of it all, I also notice its 'just ok' build quality and the heat it produces after minutes of usage (I know this one from reviews), and I'm still not sure whether SPDIF works, since all the sales people I asked are still not sure about it. 

I guess now  I have to reconsider my decision, and look for some other options.  

@ super toync

Thanks 4 d info...

sorgaw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,429
Message 6 of 6

@SuperToyNC wrote:
I'm using Ideapad U330.
Toslink will only work when using AC adapter, not battery.
Sometimes there'll be no red light until you start playing music.
If Digital Output is not Default Device, there'll be no audio, but there still be red light emitted.
I'm using Windows 7 (7600) and Realtek HD R2.33. (The new R2.34 is released now)
The ATI HDMI Audio Device driver from Reaktek is also needed for another Audio Device called HDMI. (I've 3 audio output devices, Speakers, Digital Output (S/PDIF), and HDMI. And HDMI Output will work only when using ATI display adapter, not onboard Intel one.

P.S. Sorry about my English.

Thank you for everyone's advice.

SuperToyNC, how long of toslink cable are you using?  I am using a 12ft cablee, but I dont see any red light coming from it eventhough I select the Digital Out as the output devide.

I am wondering is it my cable or the driver.

UPDATE:  Update new driver, still doesnt work.  The cable worked on my dvd player optical out, so I am still trying to figure what's wrong.  Maybe I need to tweek something in Windows...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors