cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbkocourek
Paper Tape
Views: 4,331
Message 1 of 6

y50-70 hanging with intermittent 100% disk activity but no reading/writing to SSD

I just purchased a Y50-70 with a 256 Gb SSD.  After taking it out of the box and slowly adding some applications that I need, I noticed that applications would periodically hang ("not responding") and nothing would happen when mouse clicking, etc.   The hang would last about a minute or so then operation would be normal until the next hang.

I brought up the task manager and left the performance monitor up, showing the disk activity.  I noted that during a hang, the SSD activity increased to 100%, but the read/write was 0.   I used a disk monitor utility and it seemed to indicate that there was no I/O happening during these hangs.  The disk thought it was working flat out at 100% but it wasn't reading or writing anything.

I thought the issue may be one of the applications I installed, but even with no applications running, the hanging still occurred (perhaps less frequently, though).  I thought then it may be the SDD itself, so I ran chkdsk (no issues) and also did a SMART analysis revealing no issues.

My next step was to reset the unit to factory settings, then reboot without adding any of my own applications at all.  The hanging still occurs.

I am not sure if this means anything, but along the way, I plugged in an external HDD and listened to music off it for a long while, but noticed no issues with activity/reading/writing on that HDD.

I have no more ideas on further troubleshooting, other than replacing the SDD.   Has anyone else had (and more importantly, solved) such an issue?

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,319
Message 2 of 6

Re: y50-70 hanging with intermittent 100% disk activity but no reading/writing to SSD

Either SSD is failing (bad unit) or firmware is oudated. Try updating firmware on your SSD.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
mbkocourek
Paper Tape
Views: 4,304
Message 3 of 6

Re: y50-70 hanging with intermittent 100% disk activity but no reading/writing to SSD

Per Lenovo, there is no firmware associated with the SSD in the Ideapad
product line...

mbkocourek
Paper Tape
Views: 4,272
Message 4 of 6

Had to take the unit back and exchange it.  New unit's SSD seems to work better, but some keys on this NEW laptop stick and won't pop back out.   Will exchange this one as well, but for something NOT Lenovo.  Goodbye forever.

Pumkinfacer22
Token Ring
Views: 4,248
Message 5 of 6

amen brother..

asus is i hope what you are changin too.

joonro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,749
Message 6 of 6

It seems to be related to this problem: http://superuser.com/questions/547894/weird-windows-8-freezes-on-intel-ssd.

It seems to be fixed by using "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" driver instead of the Intel's for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. You can do this with the following:

1. Update Driver Software ..
2. Browse my computer ..
3. Let me pick from a list of ..

and choose Standard SATA AHCI Controller. You have to restart your system.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors