Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavEld
Serial Port
Views: 4,990
Message 1 of 10

y50-70 keyboard key fell out, need fix

Hello,

I have lenovo y50-70 model (20378) and my left 'Ctrl' button has fallen off and I am looking to fix the situation. I have found a replacement part at http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/lenovo-y50-70-laptop-keyboard-keys-replacement/ and I am wondering if this is the correct part to fix the problem and which type of keyboard I have. Keyboard type is either 'IC51' or 'IC06' and I am not completely sure which part to get. Am I approaching the solution correctly? PIC of affected area included.

Thank you.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,987
Message 2 of 10

Re: y50-70 keyboard key fell out, need fix

From comparing your picture and the picture on the website, I'd go with the IC51 if it were my purchase.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,984
Message 3 of 10

In addition, these laptop key replacement sites usually will sell you the complete kit.  In other words,  a new key cap, the plastic hinge and the rubber cup.  I usually skip installing the new rubber cup unless the one on the keyboard is damaged or worn. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

roofer309
Paper Tape
Views: 4,478
Message 4 of 10

Hi there, could you please let me know how did you solve your broken key issue ? I have purchased my Y70 gaming laptop just a bit over a year ago, and the sad thing is that my "W" key is totally broken, Im very disappointed with the quality of the keyboard, especially considering that this is a gaming laptop ! If theres anybody can share an info how to get a new key for my keyboard I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks guys! 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,475
Message 5 of 10

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Roofer309 !

Sorry to hear of your broken key problem.  Have you checked out the website listed in this thread?

DavEld
Serial Port
Views: 4,469
Message 6 of 10

http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/lenovo-y50-70-laptop-keyboard-keys-replacement/

It worked, but comes loose on occasion and needs to be reapplied, i'd get two replacements just in case. it not easy to put the key on btw.

roofer309
Paper Tape
Views: 4,460
Message 7 of 10

I've read lots of negative reviews about that website, have you tried to contact Lenovo for the key replacement by any chance ? Wondering if they are willing to do anything about it. Thanks.

DavEld
Serial Port
Views: 4,458
Message 8 of 10

I only contacted Lenovo using the forum, in this thread. Because this was only one key I decided against making a warranty claim. The site delivered the key, I do not think it is an OEM part, it did work, but still has issues. I would try to buy a replacement key before making a warranty claim to see if you can fix it yourself to avoid having time without the computer.
roofer309
Paper Tape
Views: 4,452
Message 9 of 10

Is there a way to order the key through Lenovo instead of getting non-OEM part from the other guys ? If so, how do I contact Lenovo to place an order for that "W" key? Thank you.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,406
Message 10 of 10

Lenovo won't replace or send the individual key.   If you make a warranty claim they will replace the entire keyboard.  

There are more than one replacement laptop key sellers.  Personally I have used LapTopKey several times in the past and have no complaints about their product.

http://www.laptopkey.com/

Top Kudoed Authors