Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hchen28
Paper Tape
Views: 678
Message 1 of 11

y50 touch hinge problem

Anyone having trouble  with the hinge problem? If you were able to solve the problem, what was the process? 

For poeple that are wondering about Lenovo's attitude towards their hinge problem, here is my story:

About 8 months ago, I purchased a lenovo y50 laptop touch that is under 1 year limited warranty. On
March 4, 2016, the laptop monitor hinge broke. After a quick search
on google using key words "y50 hinge" i found out the design is defective and it has been the case
since 2014.  I was asked to send the computer in for repair and I was told it will take more than 3 month to repair the laptop. I got in contact with my case manager, and I was offered the option for refund of $652.12 . Keep in
mind that I had to follow up with my replies just to get an answer from my case manager. I requested a call back
from her and I never got a response.

After one month of sending in my laptop, I was notified that computer has been repaired and it is being shipped back to me. I checked the tracking number provided and only to find that it is being send to North Carolina ( I live in California). On March 28,2016, I called lenovo support and was told that there was a mistake in shipping address. Support told me they have already bring this to the attention of my case manager and I should receive a call within 2 or 3 business day. Athe next day, I called 3 times, left a voice mail and got no response. I called support again, they told me according to the case manager " I accepted the refund and computer is being send to the other location."  My case manager granted a refund without my consent and the odds of seeing my laptop again is probably low. 

I have already filed a complaint to the Department of Consumer Affairs and I will most likely take it to small claim court if Lenovo fails give me a proper explanation.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 645
Message 2 of 11

Re: y50 touch hinge problem

Hello hchen28, welcome to the community,

I've sent you a private message regarding your experience, you can access it when you see a "1" in the orange circle next to messages at the top of the page.

Regards

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

OhNoes2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 627
Message 3 of 11

You're lucky you were still under warranty. A lot of people had it break, sent it in for repair, only to have it break again after the warranty expired. I tried getting them to fix it and the most they would do is cover the $99 diagnostic fee. Which essentially means that the repair would cost about $500.

In the end, I have mine as a desktop and haven't closed or moved it since 10/15. No way I'm paying extra to have it break again

hchen28
Paper Tape
Views: 621
Message 4 of 11

i have been reading a lot of other responses and like you said, I was lucky that it broke before warranty.if you ever want to try to fix it yourself, here is some of the things I came across. some people just loosen up the hinge bolt to reduce the amount of stress reflected on the plastic piece. I'm sure that it's not a permanent fix (plastic has limited life cycle under fatigue), but it's definitely going to extand the product life. 

kmernova
Paper Tape
Views: 610
Message 5 of 11

I started the case on my Y50 the day the warranty expired! Hardware support had the machine over two months telling me they could not get parts. That Y50 was a replacement for an "I needed it now Best Buy $1200.00 Lenovo hi-end beastie" that Black Screened with a dead HDD after 3 weeks. I guess I need to start shopping around when refresh season starts.
hchen28
Paper Tape
Views: 607
Message 6 of 11

I thought they were only missing parts for screen...this is worst than expected. I thought 8 month of product life is bad but I guess it can be worse... Sorry for you buddy.

OhNoes2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 593
Message 7 of 11

Its a huge problem, when mine started breaking I stopped closing it in hopes that it wouldn't get worse. Instead it started sagging on the left side and the plate attached under the screen started popping out. There are a couple of youtube videos showing the issue and it essentially is that the hinge is too tight and that the part is screwed into plastic that gets broken off. The torque also starts breaking the bottom of the laptop.

I'm considering writing up a petition to recall the laptop for all owners of the laptop, but I don't think enough people will sign. 

hchen28
Paper Tape
Views: 589
Message 8 of 11

I was considering that at some point but like you said, not enough signatures. Instead, I only filed a complain to DCA and hoping that something good will happen. 

wldwm1
What's DOS?
Views: 515
Message 9 of 11

Mine is just over a year old.   Same issue.   This was not a $500 computer.  The first time I don't get Best Buys two year insurance because i trusted this company... What a fool I was..  My left hinge is broken and the left side of my screen is seperating.   Lenovo should be replacing these.  Unless they do something to fix this for us -even out of warranty - I will never ever buy a produt of theirs again and will let everyone I know they are Junk. !!!! 

vceh
What's DOS?
Views: 441
Message 10 of 11

I have a similar problem in that the hinge broke on the Lenovo Y50 Touch.  It was purchased 1.5 years ago.  It broke at 1 year, 3 months, which is past the 1-year warranty.  I purchased it from Best Buy, and unfortunately, did not purchase the protection plan.  I took it to Geek Squad the cost is $303 USD to fix the broken hinge and cable that allows the touch screen to function.  I am disappointed that this Lenovo laptop has this problem, and the Lenovo company does not admit this problem and provide a solution for the customers.  It is impossible to reach a live person when trying to contact Lenovo Support.  I know that this is a strategy the company uses so the customer gets frustrated and gives up.   I will not purchase a Lenovo product again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors