Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quasimodem
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,235
Message 1 of 7

y500 not detecting ssd every time

so i'm back, same problem.

I bought a y500 without ssd because i wanted the faster CPU and i knew i would just upgrade the ssd anyway. So I installed the SSD and changed the bios to legacy support & legacy boot. after a few attempts to get a usb drive bootable, it worked and i was able to install a licensed copy of windows 7 on my ssd (yay!)

now, when i cold boot, or when it's been off for any length of time, the y500 does not detect the ssd (msata) until i change bios from legacy to UEFI save, power off, power on, change the bios back to legacy, and then sometimes, it will boot. currently it is booted and running windows 7 again.

anyone have any ideas on how to get the bios to detect the SSD everytime?

would an unlocked bios help do you think?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

QM

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,212
Message 2 of 7

Re: y500 not detecting ssd every time

Questions for you to answer for clarification:

First you prepare the ssd in legacy mode. Is the ssd now an MBR disk or GPT disk?

Second since you prepare the ssd in legacy mode, don't you think that you should also be running it in legacy mode?

Third What do you mean by unlocked bios?

quasimodem
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,207
Message 3 of 7

1- yes, i installed it & windows 7 in legacy mode,as MBR disk, and when it is detected it runs in legacy mode

2- when it doesn't detect the ssd i go into the bios, change from legacy to EUFI and save out of bios, it doesn't find it again, so i go back into bios and set it back to legacy, this usually works and allows both ssd & hdd to be detected and for windows to boot and function.

3- unlocked bios, one that has been modified to show options not currently available to consumers.something similiar to this thread (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/LENOVO-Y-400-500-UNLOCKED-BIOS-FULL-WIDI-RA...

4- I am just looking for a way to make both drives detectable all the time, and with the limited options in the current bios, i was grasping at straws....

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,203
Message 4 of 7

I'm just curious. The reasons that I was asking those questions is that based on my experience, if I have an MBR disk I boot it in legacy mode. If it is a GPT disk I boot it in UEFI mode.  Preparing an MBR disk and booting it in UEFI mode does not work based on my experience. Although it is possible to convert from one type of disk to another. So, is it possible now with a Lenovo unit to run either type of disk without changing the mode in the bios?

quasimodem
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,193
Message 5 of 7

i agree, so i run MBR in Legacy mode only.

the only reason to change the bios, is so that i can change it back and make the bios detect the ssd.

changing the bios setting and then changing it back, is the only way i have found to make the machine work with the SSD & the HDD both in the machine.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,175
Message 6 of 7

Now I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

It seems that the bios has a bug, perhaps it can be remedied by updating the bios. Or just load the defaut values then make the adjustment if previously there are.

quasimodem
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,152
Message 7 of 7

great, how do i get a newer bios, since there are none on the support site?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors