Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordOrville
Paper Tape
Views: 638
Message 1 of 7

y500 shuts off while gaming or watching video

I just received my y500 and after a few minutes of watching video or playing games, the screen goes black and then it shuts down completely. After this, I can not even turn the computer on for around 10 minutes. After that it can run again normally but still shuts off again if watching video or playing games. I have downloaded the nvidia drivers off of the lenovo drivers page but it still has the problem. Any help?

Former Employee
Views: 625
Message 2 of 7

Re: y500 shuts off while gaming or watching video

Hi lordOrville,

Thanks for posting your concerns and welcome to the community. After reading your post here, I would suggest you you to Go to your BIOS and load the optimal defaults. Once you have saved the setting and have booted into windows. Go to the the Nvidia site and download the drivers from the Nvidia site and and then run that games or video again and check for the changes.

Based from your post could be some sort of a config or software issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards
lordOrville
Paper Tape
Views: 586
Message 3 of 7

This solution worked for the night. After shutting off normally before bed and playing the next morning the problem began again, though.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 583
Message 4 of 7

This sounds more like a thermal protection shutdown, since you mention it happens reproducibly when watching videos or gaming. Do you see the same issue when doing simple web browsing, email, etc?

If it is indeed a heat-induced shutdown, and since you mention the machine was just received (new or just new-to-you?), you may wish to contact Service to discuss with them. Normally, a new machine shouldn't have thermal issues as the fan/heatsink is clean and the thermal grease is new.

Country or RegionProductLanguageTelephone numberHours of operation
United States THINK-branded products English 1-800-426-7378 24 hours/day
7 days/week
IDEA-branded and
B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products
English 1-877-4-Lenovo
(1-877-453-6686)
24 hours a day
7 days a week

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Guru
Views: 561
Message 5 of 7

Download CPUID HWMonitor. Do your normal stuff, and watch the temps while you do your work.
It would also be great to install CPUID CPU-Z to watch CPU frequency. If you see it's throttled to lowest frequency and still running very hot, it means heat is causing the thermal shutdown.

If you successfully pass this, try set BIOS settings to Legacy mode, and boot a live USB with Ubuntu on it. If Ubuntu works fine, then it means you probably have a virus or corrupt driver.

Can you also post your logs of Windows Event Viewer? Right-click where the start orb used to be, launch Windows Event Viewer.

Export all 4 logs, specially the SYSTEM log I want to read and analyze for you.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

lordOrville
Paper Tape
Views: 526
Message 6 of 7

I downloaded the two programs and it seems as though at the hardware (especially the first graphics card) is running quite hot. I'm not sure what temperatures they should be running at, though, so it is hard for me to tell. Is there some sort of reference value for how hot the hardware should be while watching video etc? Thank you so much for the help!

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 516
Message 7 of 7

On my y470, watching 1080p flash videos results to a temperature of 50 - 60 degrees Celsius while gaming skyrockets it to 85-93 degrees. Normal web browsing is around 40 - 50 degrees.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors