cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sry9681
Blue Screen Again
Views: 538
Message 1 of 7

y510p. replaced motherboard, now shift keys and keyboard backlight not working.

hi. sorry for the lack of capitalization because one of the problems i am having is that my shift keys wont work. i replaced my motherboard myself with one provided by lenovo and everything is working except for the backlight and the shift key. since every other key is working i feel it might be a software issue but cannot say for certain. any help will be awesome.

thank you.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 533
Message 2 of 7

Re: y510p. replaced motherboard, now shift keys and keyboard backlight not working.

A few things to try.......

Try booting into Windows Safe mode to see if the problem happens there.

Try using a USB keyboard to see if the Shift keys operate on the USB board.

Try uninstalling the keyboard driver, reboot the computer and install a fresh copy of the keyboard driver.  The link below is for the available drivers from Lenovo for your model. Just select your operating system in the top box for the correct driver listing.......

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y510p...

If none of the above work..... disassemble the laptop and reseat the ribbon cable for the keyboard.  I would also use a soft cloth and some alcohol to lightly wipe the contacts of the ribbon cable.  Possibly skin oil or dirt got on the contacts.  

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 532
Message 3 of 7

Re: y510p. replaced motherboard, now shift keys and keyboard backlight not working.

One more thought......  try clearing the CMOS just to rule out a possible hardware configuration conflict.  Just do this.....

1. Unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery, plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

sry9681
Blue Screen Again
Views: 517
Message 4 of 7

tried the cmos method and sadly that did not help. and when trying to plug in my hard drive to back everything up, i figured out that my usb 3.0 plug doesn't work. only the two 2.0 plugs on the left side work. i wonder what else isn't working..... i feel at this point i should call lenovo and ask for a new motherboard since the one they gave me was a refurbished one which i was not told when paying 360 dollars for it assuming it was new.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 503
Message 5 of 7

The USB port on the right side of the laptop is not part of the motherboard.  That USB port is mounted on a I/O card which in turn is attached to the motherboard via a ribbon cable.  Have you check the audio jack with a pair of head phones to see if that is working?  

Was the motherboard or receipt marked as "Refurbished" or is that your conclusion?  Difficult to say if the problem is the motherboard.  The problem with the USB port maybe related to the ribbon cable being not seated fully.  Same with the keyboard connection.  You'll have to double check.

sry9681
Blue Screen Again
Views: 499
Message 6 of 7

I will have to check that ribbon as that is a likely possibility but the
motherboard did have a sticker on it saying it was refurbished which upset
me considering I paid a third of the entire price of the computer when I
first got it.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 491
Message 7 of 7

If it wasn't disclosed prior to the sale that the motherboard was refurbished, I think I would be disgruntled as well.  Sorry to hear that.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors