cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smokeman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,789
Message 1 of 6

y710 intel chipset/matrix storage manager / raid?

I started poking around on my y710, and saw the intel matrix storage manager.  I started reading about it on intel's site, and it appears there is a bios option missing from the y710's bios, to put the intel sata chipset into enhanced mode, so you can use the raid features.  Can someone comment on if this is a bios feature intentionally left out, and possibly something that can be put in  a bios upgrade in the future?

If it was intentionally left out, why include the intel matrix manager in the default install at all?

also, the matrix manager lists the hard drives as being in generation 1 transfer mode, thus leading me to believe that the drives are in sata 1 mode.  How do I enable sata 2?

smokeman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,759
Message 2 of 6

Re: y710 intel chipset/matrix storage manager / raid?

any comments?

smokeman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,698
Message 3 of 6

alright, not to be a pain in the A**,
but I really need to know an answer to this.

Is the intel chipset on the MOBO capable, yet lenovo bios coders left feature out(possibly added later?)
the intel matrix manager really got me curious about this.

I replaced the drives with 7200 rpm sataII drives, and they are seen as being in generation2 mode,
so I guess the stock drives are sata1 limited.  I wonder why lenovo chose to use sata1, when the machine supports the faster sata2..?

Message Edited by smokeman on 03-19-2008 01:40 PM
Retired Guru
Views: 2,678
Message 4 of 6

What's the reason for fastest SATA-2 on the notebook?? :-D Or RAID on notebook? The only chance for you to build  raid - to take out the DVD-ROM and insert another HDD. Sata-2 is about 3 gb/s, sata-1 is about 150 mb/s, but  2,5" HDD is 40 mb/s MAX and 1,8" is 30 mb/s MAX !! Such high transfer capacity of line (3 gb/s) is needed for RAID on desktop -  3-5-10 HDD's at time.

However, you can enable/disable SATA enchanced mode - this option is called "OHCI mode" or kind of. The only purpose of changing it on notebooks (IMHO) - to install OS in compabilyty mode, when you don't have SATA drivers in your distributive of OS.

"Matrix Storage" is software for i965-family (and not only) chipsets, on one of which IP is based. And so it's preinstalled =) I think you can uinstall it to save 5 mb of disk space =)

Maybe it's an option of making raid on Y710, for it has 2 HDD's, but I doubt it's reasonable.

Message Edited by skripatch on 03-20-2008 10:28 AM
//help will save the world
smokeman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,637
Message 5 of 6

I believe I got my answer on this page:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm

at the bottom it lists the controllers and their definitions(RAID/AHCI/BOTH)
the ICH8M that is in the Y710 is AHCI only, thus no raid support.  Would have been a nice feature!

and yes, the y710 has a second sata hard drive bay(so you don't lose the dvd-rom)

I'm not quite sure about the 2.5" transfer speeds you mention.  Higher rpm drive configurations have higher transfer speeds.
I can understand why the stock 5400rpm drives have no sata2 option, but the 7200rpm drives we put in work faster under sata2 setting.

why wouldn't you want a new notebook to go as fast as it can?

Retired Guru
Views: 2,632
Message 6 of 6

5400 rpm doesn't need sata-2 at all. 7200 rpm doesn't need sata-2 in non-RAID mode. Notebook-raid is a nonsnce cause of high temperature mode of RAID - for each mb you'll need to use both HDD's.
//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors