Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jknapik52
Paper Tape
Views: 418
Message 1 of 7

z500 LOUD processing sound

I recently swapped computers with my sister, as she wanted to go the Apple route and I back to Windows. Upon swapping, I realized her z500 makes quite a loud processing noise even when doing basic tasks, like suring the internet. I am not very advanced in computers, however it sounds like the noises my old desktop use to make when  doing multiple tasks. It's pretty annoying/distracting and want to figure out if it is something covered under the warranty.

The noise is coming from the right of the trackpad and happens nearly 100% of the time. Any suggestions/info?

Guru
Views: 388
Message 2 of 7

Re: z500 LOUD processing sound

It seems like head repositioning of the hard drive. Run HD Tune application (there's a free and trial pro version available). Check S.M.A.R.T. data under "health" tab for any warnings.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
jknapik52
Paper Tape
Views: 378
Message 3 of 7

Thanks...Ill give it a try ASAP.

jknapik52
Paper Tape
Views: 371
Message 4 of 7

17-November-2013_18-45.png

T17-November-2013_18-45.png

Guru
Views: 361
Message 5 of 7

Yup, just as I suspected. Calibration Retry Count points to problem with head alignment. I do not know what the other warning is. Anway, this doesn't point to an immediate problem. In time, it might turn into "click of death" when the drive will constantly try to recalibrate the head, but will fail at each attempt. You can keep using your computer as usual, but keep your data backed up, as the drive may fail. I always recommend to make backups, but it should be a must when your computer is starting acting funny.

There's few things I'm surprised looking at your SMART data. One is that we have more or less the same number of power cycles (HDD turning on and off), while your Power On Hours Count is 5 times smaller. I have no idea what could that mean. Another thing is your G-sense Error Rate. This value is increased whenever an error occurs caused by a shock. 70 is quite a lot I think... I have 8. Have you ever dropped your laptop?

jknapik52
Paper Tape
Views: 340
Message 6 of 7

Never dropped. It was my sisters work computer, thus, never left her desk. Ill have to see what I can do. Thanks for the help. 

Guru
Views: 326
Message 7 of 7

Any other shocks maybe? Rough car ride? Bag with laptop inside being handled roughly? Earthquake? Smiley Wink

Also, I read into the other warning, and this is potentially serious issue. You should keep your data backed up and further monitor SMART data from time to time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors