Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z580owner
Paper Tape
Views: 289
Message 1 of 7

z580 - Creating recovery disk using OneKey Recovery System Backup is failing

I've got a z580 which came with pre-installed Windows 8.0

Following a Windows corruption I have successfully re-installed Windows 8.0 using OneKey to the original factory status and the z580 is functioning OK, having applied all Windows updates.

However I cannot create a recover disk becauase as soon as I click 'System Backup' in OneKey I get the message 'Current system can not support backup'.

What do I need to do to get OneKey to create a recover disk?

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 286
Message 2 of 7

Re: Creating recovery disk using OneKey Recovery System Backup is failing

Page 23 of the hardware maintenance manual discussess the use of Recovery Disc Sets to make a recovery. There are no instruction on how to make these discs. Why not give Lenovo a call and inquire on how to obtain this disc set from them?

z580owner
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 3 of 7

I worded it badly: What is really required is to backup the system partition on the hard drive. This is described in Chapter 4 of the User Guide where 'OneKey' is described - "Within the program, you can back up the system partition on the hard disk drive, other storage devices, or by creating recovery discs."

What I want to do is create a backup of the Windows system partition in its current state rather than initial state in the hidden partition on the hard drive used by OneKey. (The recovery disk produces an intial state.)

Either way I can't get to this point because of the failure message I described above when trying to get into OneKey System Backup.

z580owner
Paper Tape
Views: 268
Message 4 of 7

It would appear that doing a system partition restore to "original factory status" as I have done (successfully) renders the Lenovo OneKey tool incapable of performing any further system partition backups?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 264
Message 5 of 7

@z580owner wrote:

I worded it badly: What is really required is to backup the system partition on the hard drive. This is described in Chapter 4 of the User Guide where 'OneKey' is described - "Within the program, you can back up the system partition on the hard disk drive, other storage devices, or by creating recovery discs."

What I want to do is create a backup of the Windows system partition in its current state rather than initial state in the hidden partition on the hard drive used by OneKey. (The recovery disk produces an intial state.)

Either way I can't get to this point because of the failure message I described above when trying to get into OneKey System Backup.

Page 11-12 User Guide Has the following titles:
Chapter 4. Getting apps from the Windows Store
Creating a Microsoft account
Accessing the store
Getting your apps

Nowhere is OKR. Are we reading the same manual?

z580owner
Paper Tape
Views: 253
Message 6 of 7

You may be looking at a User Guide for a different Lenovo?

The complete title of the User Guide I'm using is "Lenovo IdeaPad Z380/Z480/Z485/Z580/Z585  User Guide V1.0"

The filename is Lenovo_z580_manual.pdf and can be downloaded from the Lenovo website.

There is also a v2.0 User Guide under the name LenovoUserGuide.pdf on the same website. That too has a Chapter 4 on OneKey Revovery

And before anyone asks - no, I haven't tinkered with the partitioning of the HDD

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 238
Message 7 of 7

You're right I was looking at a different guide (User Guide - Lenovo Notebooks (for Windows 8.1)) but for the same unit. I got the info about OKR by reading the version 1 user guide.

Going back to your problem, this is the first time I've heard about the feature of OKR with a pre-installed Win 8. I have OKR 8 with a pre-installed Win 8 and it does not have that option to make recovery disk. I do know that OKR 7 has the feature. But OKR 7 goes with Win 7 not Win 8. Is your OKR a different version? Perhaps a call to Lenovo might help you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors