07-12-2018

US

110 Signins

665 Page Views

• Views: 665
  • Message 1 of 2

Memory Mode in DCSC

2018-10-02, 14:56 PM

We get his question alot when resellers are trying to configure a server for the memory tab they are seeing "Memory Mode."

I have never had to use or a request for Enabling memory mirroing , or memory sparing.

Is this something that can removed from DCSC or is this something that is needed.

If this is needed,  can someone please give me an example when this would be used?

Thank you!

Options

402 Posts

11-09-2016

US

487 Signins

2680 Page Views

• Views: 2680
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Memory Mode in DCSC

2018-10-02, 21:18 PM

Hello,

There are different memory technologies and Lenovo servers support them. You would use mirroring and sparing based off of your availabilty requirements. Also helps with RAS, Reliability, Availabilty & Serviceability.

There are many memory optimization Lenovo Press documents, if you do a search. I am attaching one.

Let me know if this helps or not.

The following memory protection technologies are supported:

• ECC
  • Chipkill (for x4-based memory DIMMs)
  • Memory mirroring
  • Memory rank sparing

Chipkill works only in independent channel mode (the default operational mode) and supports only x4-based memory DIMMs.

If memory mirroring is used, then DIMMs must be installed in pairs (a minimum of one pair per each processor), and both DIMMs in a pair must be identical in type and size.

If memory rank sparing is used, then a minimum of one quad-rank DIMM or two single-rank or dual-rank DIMMs must be installed per populated channel (the DIMMs do not need being identical). In rank sparing mode, one rank of a DIMM in each populated channel is reserved as spare memory. The size of a rank varies depending on the DIMMs installed.

Chipkill, memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing modes are mutually exclusive. Only one operational memory mode can be enabled on a server, and it is a system-wide setting.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms