Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Smart HomeLenovo Smart Display & Lenovo Smart Clock with Google Assistant
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-26-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 6

7" Smart Display - Screen freezing, 2nd device to fail

2021-06-26, 20:30 PM

Hello, I am on my second Lenovo Smart Display now as my last went back and forth for repair three times and it still came back broken, but was beyond warranty and couldn't even get a person to talk to me.  A few weeks ago I noticed the screen was frozen when walking into the kitchen one morning.  It appears the display will now freeze on whatever screen appears to be showing at random times, sometimes going a couple seconds and other times lasting a couple days.  The devices still responds to voice commands and oddly enough will adjust screen brightness dynamically as well.  It just does not respond to touch input nor will it show anything different than what is on the screen until the device is rebooted.  I have tried the Home app removal, data wipe, factory reset on the unit, etc.  It is super frustrating that these are the only aesthetically pleasing smart display devices that I could find for our kitchen yet the quality and Lenovo service is so horrendous.  My girlfriend bought me the display for Christmas and accidentally purchased two of them.  This one was never opened until after the warranty period already ended (Mar 2020) and while the first device was on its second four month visit at Lenovo's repair center.  I looked into trying to salvage both units into a single working device, but I don't see any easy way to get at the internals without removing the glass panel/LCD assembly.  Does anyone here have any advice or experience dealing with the freezing, or suggestions on downgrading firmware somehow if that is the issue? 

For anyone at Lenovo who might read this:

I am honestly at the point of writing these off after all the time I have wasted dealing with support, being on hold, waiting for device to be "repaired" multiple times, etc., only to come back not working each time). I am posting here only because I dislike contributing to the excess waste you create by selling junk that lasts a year and no layperson is able to repair.  I already made the choice to never buy another Lenovo product, including Thinkpads and server products as well, when the display came back from your repair center a THIRD time a did not boot up.  I am not surprised to see this display failing now, and even more unsurprising is when I looked at the feasibility of repairing it myself, I would probably ruin the screen taking it off.  So, hopefully you guys can get your operation together on the consumer devices side because just this situation has cost you at least a few future customers, all in the enterprise MSP industry as well.

Options

367 Posts

03-27-2020

Philippines

39 Signins

1425 Page Views

• Views: 1425
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:7" Smart Display - Screen freezing, 2nd device to fail

2021-06-27, 8:50 AM

Hi doubleg72,

I think that in every after-repair service, you could have reported it back to tech support and tell them about the issue.

Multiple repair cost could be more than the purchase cost so inform them what you think would be a better option for you aside from another repair.

-Dbrix

- Apologies in advance for not getting back soon on regular days. Please proceed with any Community members that can share their ideas and experiences to help.
Options

39 Posts

04-28-2021

Viet Nam

59 Signins

385 Page Views

• Views: 385
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-07-03, 5:45 AM

The screen freeze isn't a piece of new news and yet they never fixed it. See the other thread with dozens of people having the same problem but no active resolution from Lenovo. I'm thinking of deleting Lenovo from the list of manufacturers that I am going to buy any electronic gadget in the future, too.

Options

749 Posts

09-18-2012

Slovakia

1569 Signins

27528 Page Views

• Views: 27528
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-07-14, 8:12 AM

Hi @ TheGrandSon,

I am still trying to find a solution for this issue, Google suggestions are:

The last update was to check if tapping on the finish setup button works either before or after trying to cast. If not, then you could ask the users to factory reset the device if the screen is stuck in the current state. If that doesn't help, please ask them to submit Google Feedback. 

There is no other solution possible from Lenovo, Google has to offer solution here.

Please try the suggestion and let me know.

thanks, Zuzana

Zuzana
Smart Home Community Lead

Welcome to the Community! If someone helped you today hit Like or accept a Solution!
Looking for information about Lenovo products?

Options

39 Posts

04-28-2021

Viet Nam

59 Signins

385 Page Views

• Views: 385
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-07-14, 15:41 PM

Casting works okay but the problem is that the screen no longer responds to touch control.

The "touch to finish setup" problem doesn't even related to the time either before or after we decide to cast content. No matter how many things and times we tried, it (the screen) is not responsive, simply a BIG bug yet to be fixed.

Options

5 Posts

06-26-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-07-15, 19:41 PM

I did notify Lenovo after service, which is why it was sent back twice!  It was long beyond the warranty period by the time they sent it back to me over the pandemic.  It's ridiculous there isn't a single thing being done, not a person I can talk to, nor an acknowledgement from Lenovo at the very least.  I did end up seeing the other post after posting this which infuriates me even more.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms