09-01-2018

AU

18 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 1 of 34

Has the MAC address bug been fixed yet?

2020-03-11, 10:06 AM
The MAC address keeps changing on my Lenovo smart clock. Can this be fixed please. It renders network security useless. So once network is secure. Clock cannot access internet. Please fix...
Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Views: 28743
  • Message 2 of 34

Re:Has the MAC address bug been fixed yet?

2020-03-11, 14:15 PM

Hi @Domino1352,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Unfortunately, the device is intended to be used in a home environment where you don't have a MAC address whitelist requirement. I enclose another forum thread where this issue is further discussed and a workaround for finding MAC address of the Smart Display/Clock is suggested:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo/Finding-MAC-Address-on-the-Lenovo-Smart-Display/td-p/4220987

Best regards,

Ala
Polish, Turkish & Smart Home Community Lead

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe   Moto English

Please do not ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Proszę nie zadawać mi pytań przez wiadomości prywatne, publikując pytanie na forum masz większe szanse na otrzymanie odpowiedzi, a być może pomożesz również komuś, kto ma podobny problem.

Lütfen, sorularınızı bana kişisel mesajlarıyla göndermeyın, sorunuzu foruma yazınca cevabınızı daha hızlı alacaksınız, ayrıca aynı sorunu yaşayan diğer kullanıcılara yardımcı olabilirsiniz.

Options

18 Posts

09-01-2018

AU

18 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 3 of 34

2020-03-11, 20:28 PM
You may not have read my question. I have no issue finding the MAC address. My problem is for some reason. It keeps changing which would have to be a bug of some type. Why would this happen otherwise.? Can you see if this bug is being addressed by support to fix this weird issue
Options

18 Posts

09-01-2018

AU

18 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 4 of 34

2020-03-11, 20:31 PM
Ps. This is a pretty standard home environment with security in place to prevent children from spending 24x7 playing games. Including teenagers that have unfortunately learned how to spoof Mac addresses. Hence the whitelist. :).
Options

2 Posts

03-11-2020

US

3 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 5 of 34

2020-03-12, 17:35 PM
I have the same concern. it stopped working a few minutes ago and I see that the MAC Address has changed. It needs to be fixed
Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Message 6 of 34

2020-03-13, 12:05 PM

Hi all,

I am going to double check about this with Google, and let you know if the device can be used on the networks with MAC address whitelist.

Best regards,

Ala

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe   Moto English

Please do not ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Proszę nie zadawać mi pytań przez wiadomości prywatne, publikując pytanie na forum masz większe szanse na otrzymanie odpowiedzi, a być może pomożesz również komuś, kto ma podobny problem.

Lütfen, sorularınızı bana kişisel mesajlarıyla göndermeyın, sorunuzu foruma yazınca cevabınızı daha hızlı alacaksınız, ayrıca aynı sorunu yaşayan diğer kullanıcılara yardımcı olabilirsiniz.

Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Message 7 of 34

2020-03-16, 7:54 AM

Hi all,

I checked about this with Google and their official answer is that MAC randomization is a feature intended to increase users' privacy. MAC randomization prevents listeners from using MAC addresses to build a history of device activity.

You can read more about this feature here:

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization

Unfortunately, the device is not intended for use with networks with a MAC address whitelist requirement. I'm afraid that it's not possible to disable this feature on the Smart Clock.

Best regards,

Ala

Options

18 Posts

09-01-2018

AU

18 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 8 of 34

2020-03-16, 8:09 AM

Thank-you for looking into this it is appreciated,

yes MAC randomisation is used to protect privacy on PUBLIC networks  not a PRIVATE  home network. the mac address also is not shared beyond the router.. so in this situation it serves no purpose at all.   

None of the google branded products I have exhibit this behavior  including 2 google minis 2 google max and a  3rd party JBL  google speaker.. the Lenovo product is the only one that exhibits this MAC randomisation bug.    It appears  has been incorrectly implemented  if it was designed for connecting to public networks then use MAC randomisation would serve a purpose. no purpose at all in a private network. 

The article you link shows it can be turned of/disabled  can you find out if this  option to disable is accessible somehow in the UI.   Can this be registered as a bug please...

Options

18 Posts

09-01-2018

AU

18 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 9 of 34

2020-03-18, 2:25 AM

just touching base to see if a bug report has been made or is going to be made.  this is a definite issue with any user that has a moderate level of security on their home networks..

Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Message 10 of 34

2020-03-18, 11:43 AM

Hi @Domino1352,

I asked Google for additional comments/actions on this issue. I will update you as soon as I will have an answer from them.

Best regards,

Ala

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete