11-27-2018

United States of America

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: Lenovo Smart Dilplay bluetooth and speaker groups

2018-12-31, 14:15 PM

Thank you Mr. Bond.  I posted before seeing your previous reply.  As a music source, I am using an old (and limited) smart phone which has music files on a micro sd card.  I have used this for years to send music to my home stereo system via a separate blue tooth adapter connected to the stereo. I just assumed I could do the same thing using the Lenovo Smart Display as a hub for the Google Minis.  The old smart phone does not support Google Home and does not have the mirror/cast function.  Since Google restricts using the blue tooth receiving function as an actual music source, I guess I will need to just get by with what I have or figure out another course of action.

As for the diagram, I used PhotoShop on my computer to combine screen shots from my phone(s), add text and saved it as a jpg file.

Options

75 Posts

11-24-2018

Canada

90 Signins

659 Page Views

• Views: 659
  • Message 12 of 15

2018-12-31, 17:11 PM

Please would you humor me and try Google Play Music on your phone.  I think it should see the speaker group regardless of age and can cast local files.  If that works you can probably choose from any app that combines local access and casting.

PS I may be wrong about local files being uploaded to cloud before cast back via internet.  Seems it is now (and possibly always) a direct wifi connection.  There are conflicting articles about this and Google doesn't make it clear either. 

I did learn that casting is at much higher quality than Bluetooth audio due to bandwidth.

Options

75 Posts

11-24-2018

Canada

90 Signins

659 Page Views

• Views: 659
  • Message 13 of 15

2018-12-31, 17:13 PM

PPS Chromecast audios are dirt cheap just now, so if casting works you could add one to the receiver and that becomes part of the speaker group too.

Options

11 Posts

11-27-2018

United States of America

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 14 of 15

2019-01-01, 15:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I normally use Google Play Music to play the music I have stored locally on the old smartphone.  I tried to cast and Google does want content uploaded to cloud storage (which I will not do).  Oh well, it was worth the try.  Just wish Google made things easier without requiring users to use their cloud service.

Thanks again.  You have been very helpful.

Options

40 Posts

08-18-2019

United States of America

47 Signins

713 Page Views

• Views: 713
  • Message 15 of 15

2019-08-26, 18:24 PM

What happens if you go to the Google Home app on your phone and use the "Mirror device" feature under the account tab? I can see all my speaker groups there but its not really using bluetooth but casting it directly from your phone to the speaker group through your home network. As other people have stated you can not connect the phone via bluetooth to one device then cast to multiple.

I am using a Galaxy S9+ which does allow me to send audio via bluetooth to two speakers at once but even that isn't through a speaker group.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms