SG

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 24

Smart Clock - Screen Turning on Randomly Very Bright During Middle of Night

2020-02-29, 8:50 AM

Environment:
Smart Clock is set to be either dim or turn off during night time. This works when I close my blinds, even during the day time, so my room is dark enough.
After I talk with Google, the screen will dim with no issues all the time.
And brightness level is set to Auto so should be dimmest when I touch, which it is.

Problem Statement:

Randomly during the past 2 months the screen will turn with brightness level 2 for no reason. Could be a few minutes or few hours after I go to sleep, there is no pattern.
And because it is going to level 2, it is incredibly bright in my very dark room so it wakes me up. I've to then say "Ok Google turn off display".

Request:

Resolve the screen waking for no reason to brightness level 2 when it is set to be basic clock or off during the night.

Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Views: 28743
  • Message 2 of 24

Re:Smart Clock - Screen Turning on Randomly Very Bright During Middle of Night

2020-03-02, 10:57 AM

Hi @andrewf13,

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for the detailed description of the issue :)

Since the issue started, have you tried performing a factory reset on your device? Could you please double check if there are no reminders set on your Clock at that time? And is it just brightness changing or are there any sounds played or messages displayed on the clock when it wakes up? Does the Clock wake up at the same time every night or is it random? Is it possible that your router is rebooting at that time and the Clock gets disconnected form the network?

Best regards,

Ala
Polish, Turkish & Smart Home Community Lead

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe   Moto English

Please do not ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Proszę nie zadawać mi pytań przez wiadomości prywatne, publikując pytanie na forum masz większe szanse na otrzymanie odpowiedzi, a być może pomożesz również komuś, kto ma podobny problem.

Lütfen, sorularınızı bana kişisel mesajlarıyla göndermeyın, sorunuzu foruma yazınca cevabınızı daha hızlı alacaksınız, ayrıca aynı sorunu yaşayan diğer kullanıcılara yardımcı olabilirsiniz.

Options

3 Posts

02-29-2020

SG

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 24

2020-03-21, 7:27 AM

Apologies for late reply! Obviously I've been checking different settings on my Good Night Routine to see what is causing this random issue.

Updated Problem Statement:

I've determined it only occurs when I use the Google Assistant option of Sleep Sounds action found in Routines. This is not 100% reproducible each time (I think because I'm asleep when it happens of course) and occurs at random times after Sleep Sounds has finished, including if I verbally say "Hey Google Stop".

Ran Sleep Sounds once and said "Hey Google Stop", found in less than 1 minute the screen lit from auto to brightness level 2 and stayed lit for several minutes before I finally said "Hey Google Turn Off Display".

Request:

Please stop the screen from lighting up.

Factory reset on your device?

Issue persists after factory reset.

Could you please double check if there are no reminders set on your Clock at that time?

No reminders are set.

And is it just brightness changing or are there any sounds played or messages displayed on the clock when it wakes up?

Brightness change only to level 2, clock is only displayed.

Does the Clock wake up at the same time every night or is it random?

Random times.

Is it possible that your router is rebooting at that time and the Clock gets disconnected form the network?

Turned off router and/or WiFi at same time, symptoms are not the same. When doing this a clear message is seen that network is unavailable and some Google Assistant icon.
However in my issue, it just displays clock.

Options

2 Posts

08-24-2015

Brazil

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 24

2020-03-22, 18:46 PM

I have this exact issue - two brand new clocks same thing.  This needs to be fixed.  I have it set to shut off and it works initially but randomly turns itself back on in the night.  I have tried a factory reset (should not be needed on a clock 2 days old) and do not have any wifi/router issues.  Clock is basically useless if it turns itself back on in low light.  This needs to be fixed ASAP.

LENOVO SUPPORT - rather than wasting user time with pointless action plans, get a clock, stick it in  a dark room, put a camera on it and film the behavior yourself.  It's terrible to expect customers to do this troubleshooting on your behalf when you are more than capable of reproducing this in-house and working with Google on a fix.

Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Message 5 of 24

2020-03-23, 14:48 PM

Hi! 

Thanks for your reports and describing the issue in detail.

I am going to try to reproduce the issue on my device and pass on the info about it. I will let you know when I will have some more information.

Best regards,

Ala

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe   Moto English

Please do not ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Proszę nie zadawać mi pytań przez wiadomości prywatne, publikując pytanie na forum masz większe szanse na otrzymanie odpowiedzi, a być może pomożesz również komuś, kto ma podobny problem.

Lütfen, sorularınızı bana kişisel mesajlarıyla göndermeyın, sorunuzu foruma yazınca cevabınızı daha hızlı alacaksınız, ayrıca aynı sorunu yaşayan diğer kullanıcılara yardımcı olabilirsiniz.

Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Message 6 of 24

2020-03-26, 10:41 AM

Hi!

I was trying to replicate the issue and have a couple of follow-up questions:

What I was able to observe was that the screen sometimes would brighten up a bit and come back to its regular daytime clockface for a few seconds (while playing the sleep sounds or after that) and then dim again. But I'm not sure if that is the issue you are describing as the display brighten up just a little and only for a few seconds. My room is not entirely dark, so I wasn't sure if it wasn't just the clock adjusting to the brightness in the room... I didn't see this issue after the command "Hey Google, turn off the screen".

What is the clockface you are using? If it's a bright one, screen might get brighter while returning to the regular clockface.

Do you enable night mode?

Did it ever happen after you turned off the clock screen?

Thanks for your feedback!

Best regards,

Ala

Options

3 Posts

02-29-2020

SG

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 24

2020-03-29, 9:16 AM

Apologies for delayed response. Can confirm 100% when you don't use Sleep Sounds, the issue never occurs. Recommend you use DND as on, have Google Assistant Routine "Good Night" set to play Sleep Sounds.

I'm sure you can understand one reason to have this clock is so can play sounds when going to sleep.

This issue only seemed to start maybe 2-4 months ago. Especially when I noticed the new option for During low light "Turn off screen".

Yes don't say "Hey Google, turn off the screen", this is just workaround. It will always turn off. Instead need to observe the clock without doing anything after the Sleep Sounds have stopped, this is the time I'm actually sleeping so the clock should remain with screen off as per During Low Light setting.

To answer your questions:

What is the clockface you are using?

Clock Face == Eclipse

During low light == Turn off screen

Minimum Brightness == Darker

Therefore based on above setting, the screen will only turn on after a command is run. But it will go back to the screen being off after a minute or so.

In my case with Sleep Sounds, it just randomly turns back on and stays on brightness level 2. This is not the settings that are set.

Perhaps need to film as suggested. And if in dark room, you'll know because above settings will turn off screen.

Do you enable night mode?

Yes it is in Night Mode on DND.

Did it ever happen after you turned off the clock screen?

Yes happen after turn off clock screen.

Thank you Ala!!!

Options

1 Posts

03-31-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 24

2020-03-31, 13:25 PM

hi all,

I have the same problem.

During night, the brigthness goes to level 2, it was 'auto' before. and it won't go back to "off mode" if I don't touch it.

it wakes me up every night.

it happens only since the off mode meaning for a few of weeks.

there's no network issue, no night routine, no sleep sound.

please correct that as my wife ask me to throw it away

Thanks

Options

1837 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

1052 Signins

28743 Page Views

• Message 9 of 24

2020-03-31, 15:41 PM

Hi @andrewf13 and @Oohcalme ,

Thank you very much for the detailed info.

I forwarded it to Google with exact steps for reproducing this issue, I hope that it will be addressed soon :) I will let you know as soon as I will have an update on this!

Best regards,

Ala

Options

1 Posts

04-30-2020

GB

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 24

2020-04-30, 14:05 PM

Looking for a solution for the same problem, randomly brightness increase, mostly noticed during the night, just happened at 3pm !!

Making the device unusable !!!   

Is this a faulty device, should it be returned ?  or as it seems from above a common fault that may be addressed sometime ?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete