Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtittle98
What's DOS?
Views: 2,148
Message 1 of 8

Finding MAC Address on the Lenovo Smart Display

I am trying to connect my Lenovo Smart Display to my university's Wi-Fi Network and cannot access the MAC Address. I've tried accessing the address through the Google Home app, like you do with other Google Assistnat-enabled devices, but the "Show MAC Address" menu option is grayed out and I cannot select this option. How else can I find the MAC address?

I've tried calling Lenovo Support 2 times and went through 3 departments and Twitter direct messaging. I tried contacting my Universiy's tech support and they were unable to help. I've also contacted Google's Chromecast and Google Home support teams, both of which directed me back to Lenovo. Someone please help.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,114
Message 2 of 8

Re: Finding MAC Address on the Lenovo Smart Display

Hi dtittle98!

Welcome to the Community,

Were you able to connect the Smart Display to your Home Wi-Fi or Phone Hotspot? If yes, the problem could be with the University Network. Not an actual issue, but it could be with the security of their network, which only allows MAC address in their whitelist. You may try connecting to your Home Network or Phone Hotspot and check the MAC Address again using the Google Home App.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MonteM
What's DOS?
Views: 1,867
Message 3 of 8

The network that I am using has an access list (Mac Address) requirement. I cannot connect to any other network or hot spot. How do I see the Mac Address on the Lenovo Smart Display to add to the access list.

If you cannot tell me how to see the Mac Address without using a different network, I will be returning the device and posting comments about how this cannot be used on secure networks.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,850
Message 4 of 8

Hi @MonteM,

I will need to reach out to engineers and ask how this is done.

Unfortunately, the device is intended to be used in a home environment where you don't have a mac address whitelist requirement.

I see that our engineer was trying to provide a workaround while we look into the issue so would kindly ask you to at least acknowledge someone was trying to help.

After all this is a peer to peer community so we should remain thankful and respectful to members here trying to help you.

If you can't wait for me to get back to you with information you may call local support and address the question there.

Miguel 
Community Service Readiness, Spanish, Smart Device & Gaming Community Leader

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська  Moto English

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,848
Message 5 of 8

Found this workaround online:

https://www.unh.edu/it/kb/article/finding-google-home-mac-address.html

You may also want to reference this Reddit discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/9wr4xk/lenovo_smart_display_mac_address/

Miguel 

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська  Moto English

gargoyle2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,731
Message 6 of 8

Maybe try this.  Out of curiosity, I was also looking for the MAC address of my Lenovo Smart display.  I am using my home network, so connecting was not an issue.  I would suggest to first connect to a home network.  Once connected, go the to Google Home App on your phone or tablet, choose the Lenovo Smart Display device and scroll to the bottom.  Here it should give you the IP address on the home network assigned to the display.  Now, here's the tricky part. Open a web browser on a device connected to the home network (I used my desktop) and go th the IP address of the router (the same one to which the Smart display is connected).  Find the connected devices and search for the IP address of the Lenovo Smart Display.  Once you find this go to the details of the device.  Here is where you can find the MAC address of the Lenovo Smart Display.

Mocho1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,593
Message 7 of 8

I have the same problem. I had to use my computer as a hotspot, but I can't "see" the devices that are using it to reach the internet. As a result, I can't see the Lenovo home assistant MAC address. Is there another way to "see" the MAC address?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,582
Message 8 of 8

So, have confirmed with Google that they have not enabled this and will not in the near future. The info I posted before seems to be a workaround that works. 

As no further step can be taken I am closing the discussion.

Miguel 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors