09-27-2018

US

2 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 1 of 13

Finding MAC Address on the Lenovo Smart Display

2018-09-27, 20:56 PM

I am trying to connect my Lenovo Smart Display to my university's Wi-Fi Network and cannot access the MAC Address. I've tried accessing the address through the Google Home app, like you do with other Google Assistnat-enabled devices, but the "Show MAC Address" menu option is grayed out and I cannot select this option. How else can I find the MAC address?

I've tried calling Lenovo Support 2 times and went through 3 departments and Twitter direct messaging. I tried contacting my Universiy's tech support and they were unable to help. I've also contacted Google's Chromecast and Google Home support teams, both of which directed me back to Lenovo. Someone please help.

Solved! See the solution
Options

619 Posts

08-02-2018

US

302 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: Finding MAC Address on the Lenovo Smart Display

2018-09-28, 4:21 AM

Hi dtittle98!

Welcome to the Community,

Were you able to connect the Smart Display to your Home Wi-Fi or Phone Hotspot? If yes, the problem could be with the University Network. Not an actual issue, but it could be with the security of their network, which only allows MAC address in their whitelist. You may try connecting to your Home Network or Phone Hotspot and check the MAC Address again using the Google Home App.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

11-27-2018

US

2 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 3 of 13

2018-11-27, 3:03 AM

The network that I am using has an access list (Mac Address) requirement. I cannot connect to any other network or hot spot. How do I see the Mac Address on the Lenovo Smart Display to add to the access list.

If you cannot tell me how to see the Mac Address without using a different network, I will be returning the device and posting comments about how this cannot be used on secure networks.

Options

5020 Posts

04-19-2012

SK

7856 Signins

304804 Page Views

• Views: 304804
  • Message 4 of 13

2018-11-27, 11:44 AM

Hi ,

I will need to reach out to engineers and ask how this is done.

Unfortunately, the device is intended to be used in a home environment where you don't have a mac address whitelist requirement.

I see that our engineer was trying to provide a workaround while we look into the issue so would kindly ask you to at least acknowledge someone was trying to help.

After all this is a peer to peer community so we should remain thankful and respectful to members here trying to help you.

If you can't wait for me to get back to you with information you may call local support and address the question there.

Miguel Gonzalez
Smart Device, Gaming & Spanish Community Leader

Lenovo Slovakia

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська  Moto English

Options

5020 Posts

04-19-2012

SK

7856 Signins

304804 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2018-11-27, 11:48 AM

Found this workaround online:

https://www.unh.edu/it/kb/article/finding-google-home-mac-address.html

You may also want to reference this Reddit discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/9wr4xk/lenovo_smart_display_mac_address/

Miguel Gonzalez

Lenovo Slovakia

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська  Moto English

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2018

US

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 6 of 13

2018-12-04, 15:04 PM

Maybe try this.  Out of curiosity, I was also looking for the MAC address of my Lenovo Smart display.  I am using my home network, so connecting was not an issue.  I would suggest to first connect to a home network.  Once connected, go the to Google Home App on your phone or tablet, choose the Lenovo Smart Display device and scroll to the bottom.  Here it should give you the IP address on the home network assigned to the display.  Now, here's the tricky part. Open a web browser on a device connected to the home network (I used my desktop) and go th the IP address of the router (the same one to which the Smart display is connected).  Find the connected devices and search for the IP address of the Lenovo Smart Display.  Once you find this go to the details of the device.  Here is where you can find the MAC address of the Lenovo Smart Display.

Options

1 Posts

12-18-2018

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 7 of 13

2018-12-18, 1:22 AM

I have the same problem. I had to use my computer as a hotspot, but I can't "see" the devices that are using it to reach the internet. As a result, I can't see the Lenovo home assistant MAC address. Is there another way to "see" the MAC address?

Options

5020 Posts

04-19-2012

SK

7856 Signins

304804 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2018-12-18, 14:47 PM

So, have confirmed with Google that they have not enabled this and will not in the near future. The info I posted before seems to be a workaround that works. 

As no further step can be taken I am closing the discussion.

Miguel Gonzalez

Lenovo Slovakia

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

808 Posts

01-10-2019

SK

971 Signins

22993 Page Views

• Views: 22993
  • Message 9 of 13

Re: Random MAC Address assignments on Smart Clock

2020-01-17, 14:06 PM

Hello and welcome to the Community!

Lenovo Smart Clock is a device designed to use in the home networks only and that’s why learning it's MAC address is not possible. This behaviour of the device is by design. 

I include a similar thread from our forum for reference:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo/Finding-MAC-Address-on-the-Lenovo-Smart-Display/m-p/4305691#M1384

Best regards,

Ala
Polish & Turkish Community Lead

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe   Moto English

Please do not ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Proszę nie zadawać mi pytań przez wiadomości prywatne, publikując pytanie na forum masz większe szanse na otrzymanie odpowiedzi, a być może pomożesz również komuś, kto ma podobny problem.

Lütfen, sorularınızı bana kişisel mesajlarıyla göndermeyın, sorunuzu foruma yazınca cevabınızı daha hızlı alacaksınız, ayrıca aynı sorunu yaşayan diğer kullanıcılara yardımcı olabilirsiniz.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Re: Random MAC Address assignments on Smart Clock

2020-01-17, 15:36 PM
> This behaviour of the device is by design

Classic. Those are software engineer code words for "bug" (source: am software engineer).

Sorry, but that's just poor behavior for a network device - business or home. For privacy reasons, randomizing MAC addresses across different networks is understandable (e.g. my mobile phone MAC at Starbucks location #1 will be different than the one presented at Starbucks location #2). Randomizing a MAC address on the same local network is just... lame.

I'm a tech guy in a network intelligence company called Netify - https://www.netify.ai . We have seen more networks than we care to admit, and have seen devices that do weird things, but randomizing a MAC address on a simple network-enabled clock is just... bad form. Please fix it Lenovo! It's one little configuration setting somewhere.

PS - randomizing MAC addresses doesn't help very much with privacy. The big guys already do fancy device fingerprinting to identify devices at a different network layer. That's how your ISP has a very good idea about how many and what kind of devices are on your local network -- no MACs required.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save