11-27-2018

US

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 1 of 15

Lenovo Smart Dilplay bluetooth and speaker groups

2018-11-27, 21:48 PM

I am using a Lenovo Smart Display (8 inch ZA3R).  I have created a group using it and a Google Home Mini so I will have multiple speakers when playing music.  The "default music speaker" on the Lenovo Smart Display is the group I created.  This works fine when I am playing (streaming) music with Pandora on the Lenovo (I hear music from the Lenovo speaker and the Google Mini speaker).  However, when I play music to the Lenovo Smart Disply via bluetooth, I am only hearing music through the Lenovo Smart Display speaker  and not through the Google Home Mini speaker.  I am not sure why this is happening.  I would expect the music source should not matter and I should be able to listen to music from all speakers in the group, not just the bluetooth connected Lenovo Smart Display.

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

US

387 Signins

1691 Page Views

• Views: 1691
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo Smart Dilplay bluetooth and speaker groups

2018-11-28, 13:55 PM

Hey there, gargoyle2!

Welcome to the Lenovo Community group! 

You may refer to this thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Smart-Display-with-Google/Can-t-connect-Lenovo-Smart-Display-to-Bose-SA-5-sountouch/td-p/4207306?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 since it is a similar discussion about your concern. Kindly check the post by one of the Lenovo moderators. 

Regards! 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2018

US

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2018-11-28, 16:38 PM

Thank you for your response, but this is not exactly the same situation.  I am NOT trying to connect another bluetooth speaker to the Lenovo Smart display via bluetooth.  I am simply trying to send music to the Lenovo Smart Display via bluetooth and have it use the group I have created as the "default music speaker" to listen to it.  This works fine when I am playing (streaming) music with Pandora on the Lenovo (I hear music from the Lenovo speaker and the Google Mini speaker).  However, when I play music to the Lenovo Smart Display via bluetooth, I am only hearing music through the Lenovo Smart Display speaker and not through the Google Home Mini speaker.

The group for the two speakers (Lenovo Smart display and Google Mini) is obviously set up correctly (and the Lenovo is set to use this group as the "default music speaker") since I can hear music from both speakers when the Lonovo Smart Display is playing Pandora.  So, why I am i UNABLE to hear music from both the Lenovo and Google Mini speakers when playing music from an outside source.  I can only hear it from the Lenovo Smart Display.  I would expect the music source should not matter and I should be able to hear music from all speakers in the group, not just the Lenovo Smart Display.

Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 4 of 15

2018-11-28, 16:44 PM

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2018

US

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2018-12-11, 14:37 PM

Is there any resolution to this issue?  Is the Lenovo Smart Display incapable of using the bluetooth feature and using a speaker group to play this music?  I would apprecite support to address this issue one way or the other and not leave me wondering if the unit is defective.

Options

7 Posts

12-29-2018

US

7 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 6 of 15

2018-12-29, 23:38 PM

The Lenovo Smart Display removed the ability for it to play music through a Bluetooth speaker.

Other devices such as the Google Home Hub, Google Mini, etc can all pair to a separate Bluetooth speaker to play music.

I have confirmed this with the Mini I have at home.  Google Home can pair any of the Google devices to a bluetBlue speaker EXCEPT the Lenovo Smart Display. 

The attached screenshot shows the screen you would normally pair your device to a Bluetooth speaker but for the Lenovo Smart Display it just won't Display any Bluetooth devices .

Options

7 Posts

12-29-2018

US

7 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 7 of 15

2018-12-29, 23:39 PM

Here is the screenshot when pairing to a Bluetooth for a Google Mini.

Options

57 Posts

11-24-2018

CA

83 Signins

584 Page Views

• Views: 584
  • Message 8 of 15

2018-12-30, 17:41 PM

So If I understand this correctly Gargoyle you have

1. Lenovo and mini set up as a CHROMECAST speaker group

2. You can send audio via BLUETOOTH to the Lenovo itself, but not the speaker group

3. You can "CAST" from a 3rd device to the speaker group

I think the issue here is that you are using two distinct platforms that do not cooperate.  

You can only ''CAST' to a speaker group using "chromecast" as it is all streamed via a remote server (even local content I think).  Bluetooth cannot broadcast to multiple devices.

What you describe requires a "bridge" between two distinct services, but one that would be very inefficient.  You would need to transmit via Bluetooth to the lenovo, it would then CAST by uploading that music to the cloud, then both the Lenovo and mini would stream it back from the cloud.  Complex, laggy and impractical.

The answer really is to cast to the speakers as you found.

Caveat: this is reliant on every 'speaker' having  chromecast AND google making it available to speaker groups.  I still can't get my receiver,  TV's or NVIDIA shield included in speaker groups.  Very frustrating and sadly typical of Google to keep fragmenting their ecosystems.

Hope this helps Gargoyle!

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2018

US

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2018-12-30, 17:45 PM

Sorry if I am confusing anyone.  I am NOT trying to connect the Lenovo Smart display to a blue tooth speaker.  I am using blue tooth to connect a separate device with music files to the Lenovo Smart Display.  This plays music fine to the Lenovo Smart Display, but only through the Lenovo Smart Display speaker.  The Lenovo Smart Display is NOT playing this music through the DEFAULT SPEAKER GROUP.  However, the Lenovo Smart Display does play music through the default speaker group when I have Pandora playing on the Lenovo Smart Display.  I would expect I should be able to hear music from all speakers in the group and the music source should not matter.  I have attached a file with several screenshots which I hope will help.

Options

57 Posts

11-24-2018

CA

83 Signins

584 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2018-12-30, 18:00 PM

That was a brilliant explanation diagram Gargoyle, got to ask what you used please!

Question: what is thelocal source device using Bluetooth?

Casting is primarily designed for cloud based sources, and local content is literally uploaded first before being streamed to the group.  Whilst the group is the default speaker, I understand that will only work for "cast"content.

But here are a few options...

https://www.guidingtech.com/37079/stream-music-chromecast/

PS This intriged me as I am in a similar boat myself trying to get multi-room music via casting.  However I do use Spotify for most of it.

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2018

US

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 11 of 15

2018-12-31, 14:15 PM

Thank you Mr. Bond.  I posted before seeing your previous reply.  As a music source, I am using an old (and limited) smart phone which has music files on a micro sd card.  I have used this for years to send music to my home stereo system via a separate blue tooth adapter connected to the stereo. I just assumed I could do the same thing using the Lenovo Smart Display as a hub for the Google Minis.  The old smart phone does not support Google Home and does not have the mirror/cast function.  Since Google restricts using the blue tooth receiving function as an actual music source, I guess I will need to just get by with what I have or figure out another course of action.

As for the diagram, I used PhotoShop on my computer to combine screen shots from my phone(s), add text and saved it as a jpg file.

Options

57 Posts

11-24-2018

CA

83 Signins

584 Page Views

• Message 12 of 15

2018-12-31, 17:11 PM

Please would you humor me and try Google Play Music on your phone.  I think it should see the speaker group regardless of age and can cast local files.  If that works you can probably choose from any app that combines local access and casting.

PS I may be wrong about local files being uploaded to cloud before cast back via internet.  Seems it is now (and possibly always) a direct wifi connection.  There are conflicting articles about this and Google doesn't make it clear either. 

I did learn that casting is at much higher quality than Bluetooth audio due to bandwidth.

Options

57 Posts

11-24-2018

CA

83 Signins

584 Page Views

• Message 13 of 15

2018-12-31, 17:13 PM

PPS Chromecast audios are dirt cheap just now, so if casting works you could add one to the receiver and that becomes part of the speaker group too.

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2018

US

9 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 14 of 15

2019-01-01, 15:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I normally use Google Play Music to play the music I have stored locally on the old smartphone.  I tried to cast and Google does want content uploaded to cloud storage (which I will not do).  Oh well, it was worth the try.  Just wish Google made things easier without requiring users to use their cloud service.

Thanks again.  You have been very helpful.

Options

25 Posts

08-18-2019

US

39 Signins

683 Page Views

• Views: 683
  • Message 15 of 15

2019-08-26, 18:24 PM

What happens if you go to the Google Home app on your phone and use the "Mirror device" feature under the account tab? I can see all my speaker groups there but its not really using bluetooth but casting it directly from your phone to the speaker group through your home network. As other people have stated you can not connect the phone via bluetooth to one device then cast to multiple.

I am using a Galaxy S9+ which does allow me to send audio via bluetooth to two speakers at once but even that isn't through a speaker group.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save