02-05-2019 11:08 AM
Note: I thought I had posted this one yesterday but I don't see it in the postings so appologize if it ends up being a duplicate.
I recently added (within the past month) an 8" Lenovo Smart Display ... I really like it but my wife doesn't. and as a result the mic & camera are disabled.
It is typically just displaying pictures from Flickr with occasional YouTube streams (via casting).
However, regardless of what it is doing the volume will randomly go to max (& when just displaying pictures it is a loud chirping sound) & on 1 occasion this occured during the night, waking us up.
To lower the volume I have to manually use the volume button on the device AND then touch somewhere on the display so that the volume 'bar' on the display isn't there ... if I the 'Home' app to lower the volume or if the volume 'bar' on the display is still visable it will immediately return to max volume.
I have done a full factory reset but with no luck, the problem continued.
As I indicated above, my wife doesn't like having it so if this issue doesn't get resolved I may have to get rid of it.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
02-06-2019 01:17 AM
Welcome to the Community,
Have not heard of this issue happening to anyone else so surely not a duplicate
Could you give me a bit more detail as to what is happening?
Are you issuing requests or just randomly pumping out sound?
Maybe some steps you take that make this behavior happen so I can try to replicate?
02-06-2019 08:07 AM
We have a 8" Lenovo Smart Display since the first week of Januar, the issue with the volume randomly going to max started within the first day or so and I have done a 'factory reset' once but the issue still persiste. From the 'Home' application -
- System firmware version - oim4.181017.001.a7
- Cast firmware version - 1.36.142337
- Google Assisy Smart Display application version - 5.19.15+prod 188.8.131.5270098
- Language - English (Canada)
- Country code - CA
- IP address - 192.168.x.x (we are on a high speed Internet connection - typically jitter <5ms, download >85Mbps, upload >12Mbps & with unlimited upload/download ... so connectivity, capacity or performance shouldn't be an issue)
There are 3 WiFi repeaters throughout the house, one is <4m from the Lenovo Smart Display & that repeater is hardwired to the main Ethernet switch connected to the internet router (not via a powerline or WiFi 'hot spot' repeater connection). Additionally, my wife is concerned about security, so as a result the mic switch is on 'mute' (the 'mic muted' icon is displayed) & the camera switch is covering the camera (the 'red' tab is showing).
In its typical mode the Lenovo Smart Display is showing prctures from our Flickr Pro account plus the local time & weather ... when I am in the kitchen most of the time I will use the cast function for the news (CNN or Euronews via YouTube or CBC via their GEM app) or play the radio (via TuneIn) ... and I have tried the PSTN calling feature to verify that it works (but we have a PSTN wired handset with speakerphone next to the device & our service includes free longdistance so no need for calling from the Lenovo Smart Display).
At random times, regardless of what is showing on the Lenovo Smart Display (Flickr pictures, YouTube or TuneIn 'casts') the volume will go to maximum - the 'volume' panel will be visable on the display & from the panel it appears to be attempting to increase beyond maximim (as the bar under '10' continously blinks indicating it is attempting to go even louder) -
- since the mic & camera are not active --> that should indicate there is no external sounds or motions are causing the volume to randomly increase to maximum
- if I turn down the volume using the 'radio dial' setting from the Home app --> it immediately goes to maximum volume again (with the 'volume' panel staying visable on the display)
- if I turn down the volume using the button on the unit AND leave the 'volume' panel visable on the display --> it immediately goes to maximum volume again
- if I turn down the volume using the button on the unit AND tap somewhere on the screen so the 'volume' panel is no longer visable on the display --> it will stay at the selected volume
However, the next time it goes to maximum volume is unpredictable ... for example -
- last night while doing dishes & casting the news via (via the CBC GEM app) it when to max volume twice ... then later in the evening with no one in the kitched while dispaying Flickr pictures it went to max volume again ... I unplugged the device so that it wouldn't do it again during the night (it has woken us up on 2 occasions)
- this morning while making breakfast & casting the news (via EuroNews on YouTube) it went to max volume twice, once when I was in the kitchen & once when I was in another room
When it is casting something & goes to max volume, the audio just gets loud ... the real nuisance is when it is displaying Flickr pictures where at max volume there is a loud 'clicking' sound (when it is at it normal volume, ~4, there is no sound when displaying Flickr pictures).
I really like the Lenovo Smart Display but this issue with the volume going to maximum is a problem. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
02-06-2019 09:15 AM
BTW - we work from home & already 3 times this morning while on confrence calls the Lenovo Smart Display went to max volume & I had to leave the call to turn it down.
I noticed on the 'volume display' that there was an option to 'mute' the volume so a selected that but a few minutes later it was at max volume again so the 'mute' was ignored.
I've now chosen to unplug the device & will plug it in when I want to use it ... hopefully a work around option is available.
02-07-2019 05:05 AM - edited 02-07-2019 05:07 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed explaination.
I am gonna try to replicate this at home tonight and I'll get back to you shortly.
Just to cover all bases, can you send feedback from your device and phone to Google with the #VolumeRandomMax
This way if we need the logs we will have them.
Thank you for your patience,
02-08-2019 07:52 AM
I'm currently working though another possible resolution -
Since then the volume randomly going to max twice - once when an iPad was plugged into the "charging station" (sitting directly in front of the Lenovo Smart Display) & once when I was using the iPad near the Lenovo Smart Display ... and bluetooth is turned on for the iPad.
I will keep moving devices around in that area to help determine if the issue of the volume randomly going to max might be caused by interference from other devices very close to the Lenovo Smart Display (e.g., bluetooth being active, devices being powered, devices being powered while bluetooth is active).
02-12-2019 07:02 AM
Re: "the real nuisance is when it is displaying Flickr pictures where at max volume there is a loud 'clicking' sound (when it is at it normal volume, ~4, there is no sound when displaying Flickr pictures)."
I've been getting random popping/cracking/zapping sounds for no apparent reason at all. See: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo/Lenovo-Smart-Display-10-quot-speaker-pop-cr...
I was within the return window for Staples, so they are sending me a replacement and I'm giving the broken one back. If you are within your return window, it might be easier just to exchange it at the store. Otherwise, I'd ask Lenovo to waive your shipping/return fee for your broken unit.