cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danten1990
Punch Card
Views: 731
Message 211 of 252

Re: R5 Update for Lenovo Smart Display - R5 - Darker Display?

Google WILL still be updating Smart Displays after 3 years IF Lenovo Pay for it. Google currently offers all developers 3 years free OS updates.. After 3 years, its down to the manufacturers to pay for updates.
dhartsock
Punch Card
Views: 698
Message 212 of 252

Re: R5 Update for Lenovo Smart Display - R5 - Darker Display?

That is interesting. It is unlikely any manufacturer will pay after three years. They want to sell you new hardware. They like the phone model where it is encouraged to get a new phone every two years at least. 

dhartsock
Punch Card
Views: 693
Message 213 of 252

Re: R5 Update for Lenovo Smart Display - Starting 12/12/18

Think (?) I experienced a false alarm regarding the R5 update. After my Good Morning routine completed the About Device screen popped up on my display. It still reported the 4.4xxx version so I just closed the box rather than do a Factory Reset.

Highlighted
RShirra
Paper Tape
Views: 661
Message 214 of 252

Miguel, I just had the following Chat with Google:

Rob Shirra

8:39 AM

I have a new Lenovo Smart Display model SD-8501F that comes pre-installed with Chromecast, a Google Home interface, Google Photos and Google Duo.  I have successfully configured the device using Google Home on my iPhone to be connected to WiFi in my home and to run all of its pre-installed applications.  The issue is: I'm unable to make voice or video calls from the Lenovo device.  Neither seems to work even though the device is able to connect with my Google Contacts file.  I have already contacted Lenovo and they did a device re-set and a reconfiguration of the wifi and google setup but the problem re-occurred.  Lenovo was unable to rectify the problem and they suggested I contact Google Home directly.  Lenovo has suggested that the voice/video calling problem is a known issue and they are working with Google to rectify it with a new release of the firmware.  Can you confirm?

Julie

8:41 AM

Thanks for contacting us! My name is Julie. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about Google Home.

Rob Shirra

Hi Julie

Julie

Hi Rob! I can see that you wanted to make calls using your Lenovo Smart Display device.

Julie

Did I get it right?

Rob Shirra

Yes

Julie

8:42 AM

I actually support Google Home device technical issues, Rob. But I'll do my best to help.

Julie

8:44 AM

So there are actually features that are specifically for Google Home device alone, I'm not sure if the Lenovo Smart Display already has it on their devices.

Julie

Even though the device is powered by Google Assistant there are still features that are specific to our Google Home product.

Julie

You may need to contact Lenovo for that again, Rob.

Rob Shirra

8:46 AM

They say that Google is responsible for their firmware updates and this problem is a functionality issue with the basic calling features of the Google Home/Assistant software.

Julie

8:47 AM

Yes, we do have our own firmware updates for Google Home products alone.

Julie

Lenovo Smart Display is another product and another type of hardware.

Rob Shirra

I've spoken to two different tech support reps at Lenovo already and they don’t know how to remedy the issue.

Julie

The firmware updates should come from them for your device.

Julie

8:48 AM

I guess the best answer for that is the calling feature is not available on their products yet.

Rob Shirra

8:51 AM

Perhaps firmware is the wrong term. They said that the calling function is handled within the Google software and that any fixes would be handled by Google as part of a future update. Can you confirm?

Julie

8:54 AM

Nope, that is not right. That feature should be updated from their end. We update our software functions through firmware updates on our Google Home products.

Rob Shirra

8:56 AM

So, if it were your device, what question would you ask Lenovo? Are you able to determine whether Google has an active issue with Lenovo or is working on this issue?

Julie

8:57 AM

Ask them if they plan to include a calling feature on their next firmware update for their Smart Display products.

Julie

8:58 AM

This isn't an issue. It's just that, their products is not able to do the calling feature yet.

Rob Shirra

9:01 AM

To be clear, when I ask the device using Google Assistant to do either a voice or video call, it parses my request and then offers up several names from my Google contacts to call. When I select the name that I want, it initiates the call "Calling Joe" and then before it connects, the calling dialog drops and I'm put back into the home screen. Does that sound like a Lenovo issue or an issue with the handoff from Google Assistant to the Lenovo functionality?

Julie

9:04 AM

Lenovo issue. They need to have the firmware updated from their end for the calling feature to function fully if they have already activated it.

Rob Shirra

9:05 AM

OK, I will call them again tomorrow. In case they bounce me back to Google again, is there a Google case number I can refer to so I don't have to start over from scratch?

Thanks Julie & Happy New Year!

Julie

9:07 AM

You're welcome, Rob. And Happy New Year too!

Miguel, can you confirm whether the R5 update will resolve the problem I've described?

Thanks.  

Rob Shirra

Ryezen
Paper Tape
Views: 652
Message 215 of 252

Just unplugged and reconnected my 10", with finger' crossed, but still nothing as of this morning.  I wonder what determines the order of the rollouts?  Is it like a random number generator?

ScottNYC
Paper Tape
Views: 649
Message 216 of 252

Thanks for sharing. This sounds like every issues I’ve ever experienced with a Windows computer. Hardware manufacturer blames software manufacturer, software manufacturer blames hardware manufacturer. Question now is will Lenovo issue full refunds for devices bought that still have these key features not working? Even if bought more than 30 days ago, they should still honor returns for any units bought directly from them. 

deerspun
Punch Card
Views: 638
Message 217 of 252

The R5 update I got 3 days ago corrected the voice calling feature( I always had duo calling on R4). When you get R5 the problem should be fixed.
I can also confirm unplugging and a restart initiated the update.
justmenan
Punch Card
Views: 635
Message 218 of 252

Sounds like what went on with my sister and I trying to do.this. waiting to see if she got the 5.19 update to try again. I got the update
Tigrrrr
Punch Card
Views: 621
Message 219 of 252

Rob, I just gave you a kudo for your post -- well done!  That said, as I've stated before on this thread, my Duo and low-to-set-volume issues were corrected a while ago with Version (not R) 5.19.15+prod.1.1.0.5170098.  However, as I've posted recently, that version did not provide all the other stuff it's alleged to provide.  I've implored Miguel to respond to my post, but he hasn't yet.

That said, don't expect Google Home Support to be better than Lenovo Smart Display Support.  I have two WeMo Mini Plugs in my home setup that I bought a couple years ago.  Both plugs worked fine until a couple months ago.  Then, the fun began with firmware updates that didn't work and numerous phone calls and e-mails between Google Home Support Level 1 and 2 techs and me.  Along the way, the plugs worked for short periods.  Then, one tech stated one short phrase in an otherwise worthless e-mail that inspired me to fix the problem.  Unfortunately, the plugs stopped working about a week later and remain unworking as I write.  My last call to Google Home Support was a complete waste of time, for the tech knew nothing about the issue and has done nothing.  Sound familiar?

pierrelamy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 609
Message 220 of 252

Hi Miguel. I'am happy that from you. Sorry to read that you had a bad holiday time. I bought 2 Smart Display for Chrismas and I love them. I waiting for the french version and the update and I'm patient. Thank for your  honesty. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors