11-24-2018

CA

83 Signins

584 Page Views

• Views: 584
  • Message 1 of 4

Thanks to Miguel and the software team

2018-11-24, 16:59 PM

So bought an 8" display yesterday on offer, half expecting to play for a week and return it as I really wanted a Google hub.  Came here and was dumbfounded to see that nearly every change in the feature request thread is to be addressed in this weeks update!  This is unheard of so kudos to Miguel and Lenovo.

On that basis alone I will be keeping it.  The fact that it is already excellent just helps.

Andrew in BC, Canada

Options

5020 Posts

04-19-2012

SK

7854 Signins

304789 Page Views

• Views: 304789
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Thanks to Miguel and the software team

2018-11-26, 19:40 PM

Welcome to the Community,

I really want to thank you for your kind words, It is not often that the work behind the scenes gets recognized so thank you.

I want to tell you that the work put into this device has been a labor of love. I have always been a fan of the smart assistant technology so as soon as I was able I got one of these for myself.

Google and many people from North American Services have put in a lot of sweat into making sure this device is a success.

So I can't take the credit as there is a huge team behind me, but I will certainly pass on the feedback.

What are you enjoying the most out of your device?

Miguel Gonzalez
Smart Device, Gaming & Spanish Community Leader

Lenovo Slovakia

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська  Moto English

Options

57 Posts

11-24-2018

CA

83 Signins

584 Page Views

• Views: 584
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-11-28, 19:59 PM

Thanks for sharing Miguel.

So far it's the screen that blows me away.  We have always liked the NASA and Earth wallpaper on the Chromecasts, so we set it up this way again.  Just shootthe person who decided it was a good idea to put a flashing red light on the front, PLEASE fix this ASAP.

It has also proven a great babysitter for my sick child: he watched YouTube for 6 hours straight yesterday without moving, but he at least smiled.

Sound is better than expected too, though I am hoping the volume issues get fixed in the update...

All in all the unit has already found its place as a useful complement to our IT.  I wouldn't call it essential yet, still something of a geek toy to be experimented with.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of call functions.  Duo is dead to me (sick of having to persuade family to switch google messaging apps every few years) so Skype or Whatsapp are desperately needed.  Then I think it will really become a true hub.

My next task is to figure out how to secure it with 3 young and button happy boys.  Even my 3 year old has it doing his bidding! 

PS is the v4 update rolling out in Canada yet?

Options

5020 Posts

04-19-2012

SK

7854 Signins

304789 Page Views

• Views: 304789
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-11-29, 10:30 AM

The R4 update is rolling out to all Smart Displays, I am not aware of any features that are not available in Canada so you should get the whole shebang.

The update should finish rolling out in the next few days, as a matter of fact, it might already be pushed to your device but waiting for a quiet time to install, might be worth it to try to unplug it and then replugging it to force the install. But keep in mind this will only work if the update was pushed.

Understand the issue with the light, it is a necessary evil for ambient light detection, I believe (but please don't quote me) that they are looking into making this less intrusive. 

As for calling, it might be hard to convert people but at least your close relatives would get the benefit of it for contacting you. I personally just call my displays to talk to my cat upstairs :D or if I am entertaining and need to keep in touch with people in the living room while in the kitchen.

Miguel Gonzalez
Smart Device, Gaming & Spanish Community Leader

Lenovo Slovakia

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська  Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save