Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alacard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,085
Message 1 of 14

Smart Tab M10 Tablet (TB-X605F) problems with outdated firmware and alexa

Let me start with a little back story about how i got to this point with my tablet, A few days a go my tablet started boot looping. So i downloaded "Lenovo MOTO Smart Assistant" and ran "Rescue" on my tablet (this is were the real problem started). Rescue was able to fix the boot looping problem. but created its own problems that im currently trying to get help with.

1) When i did the rescue, it installed a very old firmware version on my tablet (TB_X605F_USER_S000022_20181026_Q00020_ROW_Bundle), I got my tablet on 5/1/2019 and before the boot looping problem it have got at least 2 OTA updates applied to it. But for some reason lenovo smart assistant program installed a firmware from 10/26/2018. The kicker is, when having it "check for updates" it says im on the latest version.

P.S. Will im typing this just got a call from a friend who has the same tablet, who says he just got a OTA notice for a new update that upgrades the tablet to android 9.1. if this wasn't so sad it would be funny

2) Now that im stuck on this old version, trying to make the best of it by setting everything up. When i ran in to another problem, when setting up alexa its wants me to update "Amazon Alexa show mode for lenovo" but when trying to do so, google play gives me a error saying "This app isn't compatible with your device anymore. Contact the developers for more info"

And this is where im currently stuck at. cant use one of the main reason i got this tablet (alexa with dock) and cant fix it becouse lenovo is using a very old firmware that dont even work anymore for there recovery firmware. I have tryed to call support and ask them for a link to the latest firmware for my tablet so i can install it but, im being told "i cant get you the latest firmware for your tablet because i dont know what version of the firmware you was on before you did the rescue"....... yes i was really told that. So im hoping someone here can help me out.

P.S Attached a screenshot of the error message im getting when trying to install/update "Amazon Alexa show mode for lenovo"

Alacard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 981
Message 2 of 14

Re: Smart Tab M10 Tablet (TB-X605F) problems with outdated firmware and alexa

Hello Lenovo you there? your customer is trying to get some help here. Can i get some kind of reply?

effeffe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 975
Message 3 of 14

Hi, I have the same exact problem: no ota after recovery using the smart assistant app and I can't use the alexa voice assistant because of the software too old.

Unfortunately, the request for an ota to the fur.lenovomm.com website gives a blank xml response.

Please help me.

effeffe

Highlighted
Alacard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 834
Message 4 of 14

Today i randomly checked to see if a new recovery firmware was released/update, and to my surpise there was a updated firmware, so i go and update the firmware to TB_X605F_USR_S200065_1905280020_Q00332_ROW. It updates fine, but for some reason on this new firmware wifi do not work, so i cant even see if it fixes the problem i was having with alexa/dock

OK, wifi turns on just fine, i can see all the wifi's in my area but when i try to connect to my wifi, it will not connect, After typing my wifi password it do not connect, just says "saved" under the wifi name. Tablet had not problem connecting to my wifi before the new firmware. My router is a ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 with current firmware. so 9/10, dont think that its my router that the problem.

Since the old recovery firmware is no longer there im currently unable to downgrade back to old firmware to be able to use the tablet on wifi. So someone please help!

P.S. Yes, i already tryed to do a factery reset and tryed a network reset and no go on both.

Update: tablet will connect to wifi if i turn encryption off (Open System)

Update 2: So this is what i found out,
encryption off (Open System) = connect
WPA TKIP+AES=Connect

WPA2 AES=Fail

for some reason want connect to wpa2 aes

Alacard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 792
Message 5 of 14

Finally got some time to do some testing, and not likeing what im seeing.

1) Even with my old router (ASUS RT-AC5300) still cant connect to wpa2, but can with wpa and "Open System" (no password)

2) gave in and created a guest network with wpa and to my suprise, when going to google play to download/install "Amazon Alex Show Mode for lenovo" the was pre-installed but the app was disabled, thinking this my be something i did, did a factory reset and nope, same thing its disabled by default in this firmware version for some reason, once i enabled it, it would up at the very top under settings. so i launch the app and run tru the setup. once the setup was dont i set the tabled on the dock and nothing. only thing the dock do is charge it, like it always did. about this time i remember that there is a app called "Lenovo Smart Dock Firmware Updater" that need to be installed. so i hope back in google play and again, the able was disabled by default. after enabling the app, i put the tablet back on the dock and nothing. i tryed reseting the dock, but still no go.

P.S.  I watched a how to setup guide from lenovo, thinking im missing something, but i found out that everything in that video happens during the setup but the very last step (screen shot of the last step from the video attached). i only get the step before that (where its asking for permissions) and app closes desktop. This is the worst support i have ever got from a company. no reply from support what so ever. Im so close to just adding lenovo to my blacklist of companys to never buy anything from.

effeffe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 778
Message 6 of 14

Thank you for sharing this. Personally, I've asked for it to be repaired under warranty, and I hope it will work.

If you can't repair it yourself, or you go through warranty (if you have it), or you start developing a recovery image and ask someone to send you the copy of the system/boot/userspace partitions to reflash them

Lenovo Employee Amy46
Lenovo Employee
Views: 669
Message 7 of 14

Hi ,

Smart Tab M10 Tablet (TB-X605F) image has been updated to Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant tool.  Please try to run the tool if the wifi issue be fixed. Also, please make sure locaiton and time be set up correctly on your device. 

effeffe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 657
Message 8 of 14

Unfortunately, I sent the tablet to warranty some days before the tool was updated.

Nevertheless, I'm wondering ehen Lenovo will publish the source package for the kernel they built for the tablet. In theory they are obliged by the gpl license to publish it, aren't they?

Alacard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 634
Message 9 of 14

Hmm, Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant tool (the program it self) updated, but comparing firmware version, it still show TB_X605F_USR_S200065_1905280020_Q00332_ROW (the version im currently running) as the version its going to be installing. just to be on the safe side i went to "C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles" and deleted the firmware that was already downloaded and had it to redownload the firmware. Flashed the updated fimware. and nope same thing wifi still buggy and still cant get alexa show mode to work (cant dock)

Alacard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 608
Message 10 of 14

Hmm, I think i may have found out what's going on, at least with the dock not working, I have the (TB-X605F) Bundle that comes with the dock, but according to this post from a lenovo employee (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Tab-with-Amazon/Buying-the-alexa-smart-dock-separately/m-p...), there seems to be 2 different firmware versions for the same model, for the one that comes with the dock and for the one that dont come with the dock. Seeing as Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant tool only has one listing for TB-X605F, im guessing that its installing the firmware for the TB-X605F that dont come with a dock. So if my understanding is correct, lenovo needs to add a new option for TB-X605F bundle (come with the dock) so the correct firmware is installed.

Wife is starting to really complain about her tablet, so i maybe way off, just looking for a way to stop the complants XD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors