Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhewitt49
What's DOS?
Views: 19,142
Message 1 of 37

Adding RAM to IdeaPad S12

I am getting a S12 soon, does anyone know it more RAM can be added to this computer?

Thanks

Jim

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 19,117
Message 2 of 37

Re: Adding RAM to IdeaPad S12

Hi, adding memory is simple, you can upgrade like all to max. of 2GB ..

S0-Dimm DDR2 memory module 667Mhz or 800Mhz will work , prefered brands corsair,crucial,samsung,hynix ...

On the bottom are two lids you can easy open it.. one is for wireless & memory, the other for wwan.. 

there is one stick of 1GB memory factory preinstalled , you have to flip it out...

and change it with the bigger one... close the lid .. thats all.. 

sincerely KalvinKlein

Yoga Home 900 - Yoga 2 11- Yoga tablet 2 all WIN 10 1809
Moto Z Play - Moto Z2 Play
ajbeck33
Paper Tape
Views: 18,743
Message 3 of 37

Question about RAM with the S12 VIA platform.

I got the latest bios update to allow for 3GB of RAM. 

I purchased DDR2 800 OCZ RAM from Newegg Link to RAM from newegg

I was originally under the impression that there was only one RAM slot and the max RAM was 2GB. The S12 manual and instructions in this thread make it appear there is only one slot with the pre-installed 667 1GB stick. Apparently the 1GB of 667 RAM is located somewhere else on the motherboard (possibly soldered on) and the S12 can handle at least 3GB of RAM. 

Was it a waste to buy a DDR2 800 chip over a second 667 chip? Is my DDR2 800 chip going to underclock to run at 667 along with the other pre-installed chip? I was hoping to be able to provide a little more bandwidth by running the RAM at 800MHz as the Samsung NC20 does. Does anyone know if the motherboard is limited to 667 speed? From what I read somewhere the two use the same components so I didn't think there was any differences. I would think if the FSB is 800 MHz then it should be able to use 800 RAM. I don't see a way to disable the first dimm slot in the BIOS which could have helped to answer my question. Am I worrying over something that probably has a minimal impact on performance? 

So, 3GB at 667 or 2GB at 800? I would think unless you're a memory hog and need 3GB of RAM, the faster RAM would be better on performance (especially thinking about Video RAM since it is shared and would run at 800 instead of 667) but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks! 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 18,702
Message 4 of 37

Hi,

there is no way in BIOS ... speed is limited by onboard memory ..

.if this mem is 667Mhz , additional mem works at this speed..in this case slower speed..

...for graphics ...shared mem..

this small based machines you cant feel the acceleration ...667Mhz or 800Mhz ...

the most speed is limited by using wrong software i.e. install k-lite codecpack and use mp classic .or vlcplayer.. never use monster  windowsplayer ... or foxit instead of adobereader.....xnview instead of photo.... and so on...

max memory  in this case 3GB and set all things in windows to use this well... thats the best you can do... Smiley Happy

sincerely KalvinKlein 

Yoga Home 900 - Yoga 2 11- Yoga tablet 2 all WIN 10 1809
Moto Z Play - Moto Z2 Play
ajbeck33
Paper Tape
Views: 18,665
Message 5 of 37

Thanks for your response. I try to use a lot of those apps anyways. Might only be a 5-10% performance increase that I'm inquiring about but it could make enough of a difference in some video playback for example.

I thought I'd be taking out the pre-installed 1GB 667 chip and putting in a 2GB ddr2 800 chip. That would have given me a increase from 333MHz to 400MHz in single channel mode.

Because the info in the manual is misleading (states "Be sure to save the old SO-DIMM for future use"), I paid for a 2GB chip that is being underclocked (from 400MHz to 333MHz) to run at the speed of the slower 667 chip. Had I known ahead of time the pre-installed memory could not be removed (by the user anyway) then I would have gone with a 2nd 1GB 667 chip in hopes of running dual channel mode (Which I can't find any info on either to be sure it's even capable of).  

It would be nice if Lenovo mentioned somewhere that the 1GB cannot be removed by the user.

Can someone from Lenovo confirm that the device has dual channel capability?

Great product but a little more information could save some people some head aches purchasing memory upgrades. 

AJ 

yus9
802.11n
Views: 18,642
Message 6 of 37

Greetings AJ:

Just thinking, you might have been better off picking up one of those $349

14" back-to-school machines available almost everywhere.

All the netbooks including the S12 are slow and have been stinted

intentionally by design and by marketing objectives.

(slow, no DVD, no modem, small display, 2GB max, ect)

Consider putting your almost new S12 on eBay

where they are command a very decent price.

You sort of bought yourself a little compact car with a top speed of 80 mph.  

Higher speed ram might have brought it up to 82 mph.

Not enough to notice in normal use, or to worry about.

ajbeck33
Paper Tape
Views: 18,592
Message 7 of 37

yus9,

I know what you're saying and I knew what I was getting when I decided to go the netbook route.

What I'm getting at is if you are going to upgrade the memory you may as well get the best performance out of it as possible. Basically right now I've paid for a more expensive DDR2 800 RAM chip that's being underclocked and the only benefit is now I have 3GB of RAM which is overkill on a netbook. Again I originally thought there was only one RAM slot (based on the manual) and removing the 1GB DDR2 667 RAM and adding a 2GB DDR2 800 chip was going to be the best possible solution. Now that I have found out on my own the memory slot on the bottom is empty and the included RAM is soldered on, there is a potential for dual channel memory which would become the best solution. I'd like to know if the S12 is capable of dual channel memory mode. I'm surprised there is no technical specs to be found in regards to the memory for this system.

Edit: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-55644#ideapad No S12 listed.

Message Edited by ajbeck33 on 08-12-2009 08:29 PM
jv303841
What's DOS?
Views: 18,527
Message 8 of 37

PLEASE HHHHHH EEEEEEEEEEEEEE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP   !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just received my Intel Atom Ideapad S12 yesterday and was under the impression that the BIOS that came out for the S12 would work on both Intel and VIA versions, but that's not the case.  I ran the 23 BIOS update on my S12 Intel machine and it failed saying wrong "Model ID check error !"

Anyone know when / if the BIOS will be released for the Intel S12 allowing 3GB of RAM to be supported?  This is not a functioning laptop while running at 2GB.  I'm sure my perspective is skued a bit since I use a Dell Precision M4400 Quad-Core with 8GB of RAM, but still.  It's like the old days of running Windows 3.11 (for workgroup - woohoo) and the applications turn gray while the PC does whatever it is trying to do.

If there isn't a BIOS update for this to bring it to 3GB, it's going back. 

Please advise, thank you!

Jason

snowpunter
Paper Tape
Views: 18,510
Message 9 of 37

There is a BIOS update to fix this. I just did it after having the same issues you were. Here is the link to the update. Make sure to take out your 2 GB stick before doing this since you don't want a hang while updating the BIOS.

EDIT: Just saw you were using the Atom version, not the Via Nano version and it looks like you already tried it.

Message Edited by snowpunter on 08-13-2009 06:23 PM
ajbeck33
Paper Tape
Views: 18,507
Message 10 of 37

I was able to grab a 667 chip and run some benchmarks. The 1GB DDR2 667 chip runs the same or slightly better in benchmarks than my underclocked 2GB 800 chip. Its very small but there is a benefit from Dual Channel Memory I believe.

I want to clarify for those that were confused like I once was. Yes this chipset can use DDR2 800 RAM but it will underclock it because you are not able to remove the 667 RAM that is soldered on to the motherboard somewhere. RAM will run at the speed of the slowest RAM chip. So no reason to buy DDR2 800 RAM with this model.

Also in a test I did find having the right software makes a difference. Video playback of a file would lag in Quicktime but would play flawlessly in VLC.

Unless you need the slightly better battery life, I highly recommend the S12 Via model. Just want to mention the VIA Nano CPU runs at 1.6 GHz max and not 1.3GHz as they claim. But if it said 1.6GHz on the models page next to the Intel Atom 1.6GHz then no one would pay more for the Intel Atom. Get a Via Nano model and with the money saved, throw in a 1GB 667 chip and you'll be happy.

Message Edited by ajbeck33 on 08-13-2009 10:24 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors