cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macshield
Paper Tape
Views: 749
Message 1 of 9

Anyone Happy with S10-3t windows 7 model?

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of getting one of these systems but all the complaints of cracked screens and other issues is starting to scare me away. I need to get a windows 7 system, for testing and general use, and thought this would be a perfect fit because it can double as a tablet, and would be easy to travel with. Unfortunately after reading a little through this forum I am starting to think this is not a goody system. I really don't want to buy something that is going to break in a few months. So I guess what I am asking is,  Is anyone who has had this system for a while happy with it? Is there a way to avoid the screen crack or is that just luck based and no matter what you do it still might crack? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you/

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 720
Message 2 of 9

Re: Anyone Happy with S10-3t windows 7 model?

hey.

i understand your concerns but remember that users have issues with their systems are here.

i believe there's lots of people out there who are happy with their computers.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
exscentric
802.11n
Views: 716
Message 3 of 9

Have had one for several months and am happy with it.  I did upgrade to 7 home premium so I could have the tablet features instead of the Lenovo stuff that didn't work for me at all.

As for the screen crack problem, it pivots at one small point in the middle.  Just looking at it makes me want to use two hands and to be careful.  Have no problems with it myself but must admit do not like the accounts that I've seen here about the problem.

I use mine every day and am very happy cept for the club of a huge battery and the high price of the smaller one that I'd like but overall I think it is a good unit.

If you do not NEED the tablet feature get something else and save some money/nerves :-)

macshield
Paper Tape
Views: 662
Message 4 of 9

thanks for the advice guys. Excentric do you travel with your system? Does it ever leave the house or do you always have it at home? Just asking because I've read some reports of people pulling the system out of their bags and being cracked. Trying to figure out if it is because the system was mishandled or if the screens are truly that defective.

AllenR
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 656
Message 5 of 9

No problem with mine.  I"ve traveled with it, take care and have had no issues.  I like the keyboard. The  touch is ok but no iPad! Speakers are very poor but headphones have great sound

exscentric
802.11n
Views: 654
Message 6 of 9

I have a zipper shoulder bag and put it in the trunk to fast food joints for coffee.  I am very protective of my toys so it gets good care but it does get swung around on my shoulder some.  I go somewhere daily during the week.  Cold weather hasn't done anything to it.  Sometimes it gets down pretty cool in the trunk.  I clunk it now and then when I get into the drivers seat and stand it up on the console.

The screen fits nicely to the body when closed so don't think that is when they are getting broken unless it is a pretty hard bang that would bust most any glass.

It pivots on a very small swival in the middle of the bottom.  Mine does not turn all that easy so have alwayrs used a hand on each side.

If you have doubts there are some other tablet/convertables around, pick another.  Dell has one - may not be out - don't know.  It swivels in a frame.  It pivots on both sides in the middle.

GOOD PICKING!  :-)

dtuite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 596
Message 7 of 9

My major beef so far (1 month) is the accelerometer implementation.  The only thing the accelerometers are used for is screen orientation, and they're simultaneously too sensitive -- any little jiggle, or laying the computer down on the table, and re-orientation is triggered, and too slow -- it takes several seconds of black screen before the new orentation comes up -- and that may be upside-down.

Shutting off the accelerometers and using the button on the bezel to set the screen orientation is a work-around, although that software is buggy. too -- you're supposed to be able to select the sequence of orientations for a series of button pushes, but the default sequence is the only one that works.

And, as I've noted in this and other forums, in newer builds (mine was early January, 2011), the motherboard does not lline up with the removable panel on the bottom of the machine, so the DRAM module cannot be removed without a lot of disassembly. (Apparently, Intel did something with the chipset that forced a MB layout change..

Apart from that (Mrs. Lincoln), it's a nice notebook with a swiveling touch screen -- with very modest multi-touch abilities -- a big HDD, and for extra $$, a long-lived 8-cell battery that adds very little to the footprint.. (I.e., it still fits nicely in my Targus carrying case.)

LenovoNeverAgn
What's DOS?
Views: 389
Message 8 of 9

I was very happy with the S10-3t until a small crack started appearing on the left side of the screen about 6 months ago. it made the touchscreen faulty and thought I had to fix it right away. After learning that it would be $80 plus around $25 for shipping the laptop to Lenovo service, I waited. The crack after a couple of weeks extended all the way down and the touchscreen feature got disabled. I was then able to use the netbook as a regular non-touch/non-pad laptop. About a month ago I gave it a shot, thinking Lenovo service will see the laptop is in great condition and it should not have cracked like that, so I paid the $80 + $25 for S&H. But no, they still wanted me to pay additional $160 to change the low quality screen installed in the S10-3t. Forget it, I asked for the laptop back and I will never get Lenovo again. Thanks for making it easy for me to make up my mind. I hope you never got one of this. Did you?

ramikurd
Paper Tape
Views: 316
Message 9 of 9

Hello!!.Actually I have been using my Ideapad S10-3t since 1.5 years the matter of fact there were many problem I faced it like touch software lost and onekey

@macshield wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of getting one of these systems but all the complaints of cracked screens and other issues is starting to scare me away. I need to get a windows 7 system, for testing and general use, and thought this would be a perfect fit because it can double as a tablet, and would be easy to travel with. Unfortunately after reading a little through this forum I am starting to think this is not a goody system. I really don't want to buy something that is going to break in a few months. So I guess what I am asking is,  Is anyone who has had this system for a while happy with it? Is there a way to avoid the screen crack or is that just luck based and no matter what you do it still might crack? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you/

recovery service issues and a lots advice to you purchase a Windows 8 tablet or touch ultrabook,because Windows 8 new OS is faster than Windows 7 installed netbooks or tablets.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors